banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2001, 07:24 AM   #1
FerretMike

We saw GL last night (3/14/01) and he sang a "new" song that was wonderful. It was one we hadn't heard before. We didn't catch the name, but in the lyrics he used the word "pokeman" so hopefully someone will recognize which song that was. He joked about using the word prior to singing it. The song was just wonderful!

Does anyone know?

Thanks,
joan
FerretMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 07:24 AM   #2
jct

We saw GL last night (3/14/01) and he sang a "new" song that was wonderful. It was one we hadn't heard before. We didn't catch the name, but in the lyrics he used the word "pokeman" so hopefully someone will recognize which song that was. He joked about using the word prior to singing it. The song was just wonderful!

Does anyone know?

Thanks,
joan
jct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 08:49 AM   #3
2Much2Lose

It's called Night Time (or Nightime). He sang it in Minnesota last November and I got to hear it. I understand that he sang another new one last night and mentioned one he hadn't finished yet. I wasn't there, but someone posted it over at the other newsgroup.

New Lightfoot music, is there any better gift in the world?
Jenney
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 08:49 AM   #4
Jenney

It's called Night Time (or Nightime). He sang it in Minnesota last November and I got to hear it. I understand that he sang another new one last night and mentioned one he hadn't finished yet. I wasn't there, but someone posted it over at the other newsgroup.

New Lightfoot music, is there any better gift in the world?
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 09:01 AM   #5
SuziT

Jenney is correct. It's called Nighttime. I have a beautiful copy of it on CD-R from the Minneapolis concert at the State Theatre on 11-11-00.
Let's hope a new album is in the works.
Old 03-15-2001, 09:01 AM   #6
SuziT

Jenney is correct. It's called Nighttime. I have a beautiful copy of it on CD-R from the Minneapolis concert at the State Theatre on 11-11-00.
Old 03-15-2001, 10:02 AM   #7
FerretMike

quote: I have a beautiful copy of it on CD-R from the Minneapolis concert at the State Theatre on 11-11-00.
[/B]

Thanks, and I'll tell you, it was one of those songs that created goosebumps, so if he were to release it I can see how it would be his next hit. It was really wonderful!

Do you know how to create an MP3 from a disk? I would love to have a copy of that song! I've got a program that makes it so simple to convert a track to MP3 and would be happy to send it to you if you don't have one yourself.

Thank you both for the answer to my question.

Joan

FerretMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 10:02 AM   #8
jct

quote: I have a beautiful copy of it on CD-R from the Minneapolis concert at the State Theatre on 11-11-00.
[/B]

Thanks, and I'll tell you, it was one of those songs that created goosebumps, so if he were to release it I can see how it would be his next hit. It was really wonderful!

Do you know how to create an MP3 from a disk? I would love to have a copy of that song! I've got a program that makes it so simple to convert a track to MP3 and would be happy to send it to you if you don't have one yourself.

Thank you both for the answer to my question.

Joan

jct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 05:57 PM   #9
joveski

quote:Originally posted by SuziT:

suziT, any chance I could get a copy of the CDR if you have a burner?. Some of haven't heard/seen him live apart from Sunday Concert!.
Email: joveski@hotmail.com
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 12:11 AM   #10
dill23

I sure hate to rain on someones parade, but there is something that I feel I should mentioned. Last month I had a phone conversation with Barry Harvey, Gordon's manager. They, Barry and Gordon, feel very strongly about people sneaking recorders into concerts, or acquiring bootleg copies of Gordon's material. It's only right that the fans should try and stop this, because if you think about it, it really amounts to theft. Please folks think it thru. Would Gordon come over to your house and steal from you?
dill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 12:11 AM   #11
Rob Wells

I sure hate to rain on someones parade, but there is something that I feel I should mentioned. Last month I had a phone conversation with Barry Harvey, Gordon's manager. They, Barry and Gordon, feel very strongly about people sneaking recorders into concerts, or acquiring bootleg copies of Gordon's material. It's only right that the fans should try and stop this, because if you think about it, it really amounts to theft. Please folks think it thru. Would Gordon come over to your house and steal from you?
Rob Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 01:21 AM   #12
Brenda

Rob: Just to add more thundershowers, one should also remember that pirating of this material is subject to criminal as well as civil penalties. Gord may not have as much to say about it as these folks think. Warner/Reprise may take action as he is signed to record exclusively with them, so it's also their product that is being pirated.

------------------
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 01:21 AM   #13
Westernstar9

Rob: Just to add more thundershowers, one should also remember that pirating of this material is subject to criminal as well as civil penalties. Gord may not have as much to say about it as these folks think. Warner/Reprise may take action as he is signed to record exclusively with them, so it's also their product that is being pirated.

------------------
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 03:34 PM   #14
joe2

As one who trades what used to be called "bootleg " concerts I want to weigh in on this 'stealing' idea. I firmly believe in intellectual property rights. however, I do not believe the trading, or in my case, the giving away of surreptitiously recorded concerts harms Gordon Lightfoot, or Pearl Jam or Bruce Springsteen in the slightest. My audience recording of Nighttime(no, I won't tell you where I got it) just is a memory of the performance I saw. When I can buy a copy, I will. But how many live cds has GL released in the last 35 years. I realize he owes me nothing, but the artists I love most primarily make live recordings easily available because they know that sells more cds, not less. Altho there are probably not a lot of Pearl Jam fans hanging around here, please note there recent release "Binaural", named after the microphones their fans use to record the concerts. You can actually get all except one of the last 30 something PJ concerts on 2cd sets, made available thru a fan club. To those interested in Lightfoot just search the net ,email other fans. I know the Lincoln, NE concert from last fall (with Nighttime) is available and I was able to find one person with about20-30 concerts available. Keep listening, keep trading, and be sure to buy all the legitimately released material. It ain't no sin to be a fan(atic).
Old 03-16-2001, 03:34 PM   #15
joe2

As one who trades what used to be called "bootleg " concerts I want to weigh in on this 'stealing' idea. I firmly believe in intellectual property rights. however, I do not believe the trading, or in my case, the giving away of surreptitiously recorded concerts harms Gordon Lightfoot, or Pearl Jam or Bruce Springsteen in the slightest. My audience recording of Nighttime(no, I won't tell you where I got it) just is a memory of the performance I saw. When I can buy a copy, I will. But how many live cds has GL released in the last 35 years. I realize he owes me nothing, but the artists I love most primarily make live recordings easily available because they know that sells more cds, not less. Altho there are probably not a lot of Pearl Jam fans hanging around here, please note there recent release "Binaural", named after the microphones their fans use to record the concerts. You can actually get all except one of the last 30 something PJ concerts on 2cd sets, made available thru a fan club. To those interested in Lightfoot just search the net ,email other fans. I know the Lincoln, NE concert from last fall (with Nighttime) is available and I was able to find one person with about20-30 concerts available. Keep listening, keep trading, and be sure to buy all the legitimately released material. It ain't no sin to be a fan(atic).
Old 03-18-2001, 10:26 PM   #16
joveski

totally agree Joe. I'm a Pearl Jam fan too, but have very varied musical tastes. It's a crime for someone to go to the show, tape it and sell copies for $40 a piece. But, fans taping and trading or swapping shows shouldn't be a problem. I don't think that Warner expect a fan to travel across the world to see a show. When (or if) Gord comes down to Australia, I'll go and see him (I wasn't alive in 1974). Until then, the only way to hear him live is by trading shows. You certainly can't bring Sunday concert into the picture as it was done over 30 years ago. Artists have to realise that they can't destroy bootleggers - they'll always manage to record shows. I'll be going to see Bob Dylan here in melbourne on Wednesday and since he has released various live disks over the years, i won't bother recording the show. But, having no idea what GL sounds like live these days, no damage is done on my part by trading shows. Agree?
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote