banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-03-2002, 03:07 PM   #1
poldo

"Knotty Pine" / Salute was a big change in GL's style. "Knotty Pine" was the first song GL played with an electric guitar. I can remember at Massey Hall in Toronto when he first reached down for the electric. A hush went thru the hall but GL reassured us that it was "no big deal".
________
Harley-Davidson FLHPEI

Last edited by poldo; 01-24-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-03-2002, 03:07 PM   #2
Wes Steele

"Knotty Pine" / Salute was a big change in GL's style. "Knotty Pine" was the first song GL played with an electric guitar. I can remember at Massey Hall in Toronto when he first reached down for the electric. A hush went thru the hall but GL reassured us that it was "no big deal".
Wes Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 05:28 PM   #3
Bill Allen

<<Originally posted by Wes Steele:
[B]"Knotty Pine" / Salute was a big change in GL's style. "Knotty Pine" was the first song GL played with an electric guitar. I can remember at Massey Hall in Toronto when he first reached down for the electric. A hush went thru the hall but GL reassured us that it was "no big deal.">>

He's listed as having played electric in the credits to the Endless Wire album; though, to the best of my knowledge, he didn't actually play it on the road. I remember that red Gibson SG well when I saw the San Francisco stop of the Salute tour. I saw it when the guitars were put on stage before the band came out, and I thought to myself "Whoa!" (Being articulate has never been one of my strong points!)

And now I'll risk being flamed and say that, for me, Salute has never been one of my favorite albums. It's not that I'm an acoustic purist or anything: GL was clearly going for a new sound (I believe in an interview around that time he essentially said he was trying to make the album radio-friendly).

It's just that, to me, the album seems inconsistent--several of the songs have the "new sound," but it almost seems as though he didn't want to fully commit to it, and thus there are some tracks which sound much more traditional--like they could almost fit on any other GL album. That being said, there are some nice songs on it: I like Whispers of the North, Romance, Knotty Pine, and Tattoo, and I'm fond of the title track and Broken Dreams as well. Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying it's bad album--it isn't. But it has always struck me as being a little inconsistent in its sound and approach.
Derek

[This message has been edited by telekidd (edited August 03, 2002).]
Bill Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 05:28 PM   #4
telekidd

<<Originally posted by Wes Steele:
[B]"Knotty Pine" / Salute was a big change in GL's style. "Knotty Pine" was the first song GL played with an electric guitar. I can remember at Massey Hall in Toronto when he first reached down for the electric. A hush went thru the hall but GL reassured us that it was "no big deal.">>

He's listed as having played electric in the credits to the Endless Wire album; though, to the best of my knowledge, he didn't actually play it on the road. I remember that red Gibson SG well when I saw the San Francisco stop of the Salute tour. I saw it when the guitars were put on stage before the band came out, and I thought to myself "Whoa!" (Being articulate has never been one of my strong points!)

And now I'll risk being flamed and say that, for me, Salute has never been one of my favorite albums. It's not that I'm an acoustic purist or anything: GL was clearly going for a new sound (I believe in an interview around that time he essentially said he was trying to make the album radio-friendly).

It's just that, to me, the album seems inconsistent--several of the songs have the "new sound," but it almost seems as though he didn't want to fully commit to it, and thus there are some tracks which sound much more traditional--like they could almost fit on any other GL album. That being said, there are some nice songs on it: I like Whispers of the North, Romance, Knotty Pine, and Tattoo, and I'm fond of the title track and Broken Dreams as well. Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying it's bad album--it isn't. But it has always struck me as being a little inconsistent in its sound and approach.
Derek

[This message has been edited by telekidd (edited August 03, 2002).]
telekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 08:51 PM   #5
Stew

You've made some excellent points, Telekidd. Salute was a big (and unfortunate) change for GL. The obvious voice difference isn't the major problem, the pedestrian material is. A few of the songs (Knotty Pine, Tatoo) are original and interesting, more seem to be below his usual standards. Salute also suffers from being too close on the heels of the stunning Shadows. I've wondered what affect it had on GL to have an incredibly great album like Shadows be overlooked by the general music industry. It has to affect a man when his best work isn't acknowledged, and I think this might have led to the style change in Salute. Just my opinion - let the bombardment begin. LOL!
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 05:25 PM   #6
brannon

Yes dalyot, you must be reprimanded. From a musicians perspective, the songs on Salute are original and inventive. The differing styles on the same disc just add to the brilliance.
brannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 05:25 PM   #7
Bill Allen

Yes dalyot, you must be reprimanded. From a musicians perspective, the songs on Salute are original and inventive. The differing styles on the same disc just add to the brilliance.
Bill Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 07:09 PM   #8
Brian 57

Broken Dreams is a cool song. "You may walk a lonely street until one day you chance to meet a stranger who might ask 'where have you been'?" That's classic Lightfoot-- a section of lyric that has more story in it than most complete songs do. Kind of like somebody having more talent in their little finger...
Brian 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 05:19 PM   #9
Stew

Brian - If you're saying that GL has more talent in his little finger than I have in my entire body, I would have to disagree. Actually, GL has more talent in his fingernail than I have in my entire body.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 11:35 PM   #10
Borderstone

I think he has more talent in a microscopic piece of his DNA than well.....just about anybody!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 03:45 AM   #11
rainydayperson

I think "Salute" is rock solid through and through...not one bad song...like em' all. It's one of my favorite albums.
rainydayperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 03:45 AM   #12
classicmixdj

I think "Salute" is rock solid through and through...not one bad song...like em' all. It's one of my favorite albums.
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 01:22 PM   #13
violet Blue Horse

I have to agree. Salute is my current favorite. There is a sense of regeneration and renewed faith in life in many of the songs. I don't know what was going on it his life at the time those songs were written, but I can surely guess. The whole tone of the CD resonates with me these days.

Signs of a new beginning
Signs of a life worth living
The better to forget than to be all that upset
It's the time to taste the wine

quote:Originally posted by classicmixdj:

------------------
Born once - Got it right the first time. )O(
Old 03-05-2004, 01:22 PM   #14
violet Blue Horse

I have to agree. Salute is my current favorite. There is a sense of regeneration and renewed faith in life in many of the songs. I don't know what was going on it his life at the time those songs were written, but I can surely guess. The whole tone of the CD resonates with me these days.

Signs of a new beginning
Signs of a life worth living
The better to forget than to be all that upset
It's the time to taste the wine

quote:Originally posted by classicmixdj:

------------------
Born once - Got it right the first time. )O(
Old 03-05-2004, 01:49 PM   #15
rainydayperson

My sentiments exacltly VBH.
rainydayperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 01:49 PM   #16
classicmixdj

My sentiments exacltly VBH.
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote