banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-14-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
Patti

Default I Hate A Song

I Hate A Song

I hate a song that makes you think that you are not any good. I hate a song that makes you think that you are just born to lose. Bound to lose. No good to nobody. No good for nothing. Because you are too old or too young or too fat or too slim too ugly or too this or too that. Songs that run you down or poke fun at you on account of your bad luck or hard traveling. ... I am out to fight those songs to my very last breath of air and my last drop of blood.

I am out to sing songs that will prove to you that this is your world and that if it has hit you pretty hard and knocked you for a dozen loops, no matter what color, what size you are, how you are built, I am out to sing the songs that make you take pride in yourself and in your work.

And the songs that I sing are made up for the most part by all sorts of folks just about like you. I could hire out to the other side, the big money side, and get several dollars every week just to quit singing my own kind of songs and to sing the kind that knock you down still farther and the ones that poke fun at you even more and the ones that make you think you've not any sense at all. But I decided a long time ago that I'd starve to death before I'd sing any such songs as that. The radio waves and your movies and your jukeboxes and your songbooks are already loaded down and running over with such no good songs as that anyhow.

##Statement quoted in Prophet Singer: The Voice And Vision of Woody Guthrie (2007) by Mark Allan Jackson. There are a few slight variants of this statement, which seems to have originated in a performance monologue.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Default Re: I Hate A Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
I Hate A Song

I hate a song that makes you think that you are not any good. I hate a song that makes you think that you are just born to lose. Bound to lose. No good to nobody. No good for nothing. Because you are too old or too young or too fat or too slim too ugly or too this or too that. Songs that run you down or poke fun at you on account of your bad luck or hard traveling. ... I am out to fight those songs to my very last breath of air and my last drop of blood.
I don't see how anyone in their right mind would think of a song that would make them feel bad about themselves.

You must have some serious issues to feel that way.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:03 AM   #3
Patti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affair on Touhy Ave. View Post
I don't see how anyone in their right mind would think of a song that would make them feel bad about themselves.

You must have some serious issues to feel that way.

I don't know why you would say something like that. I just loved that quote by Woody Guthrie, and was sharing it here. You don't seem to appreciate it.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:22 AM   #4
Patti

Furthermore, Touchy, I feel Very Good about myself, for Pete's sake and for the sake of many others. I love GOD, and I love my neighbor as myself.

Ask God for wisdom, and talk to me later.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
Affair on Touhy Ave.

I'm sorry.

So many of the message boards I look over have sooooo many crazy posts I thought it was one of them. and it's finally gotten the best of me.

Since this is one of the more reasonable places I'll be more careful nest time.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
Borderstone

It may sound weird,but the song ,
"I Started A Joke" by The Bee Gees used to have that effect on me.

It was (of course) when I was in high school in the 1980s and at hte time,i was an avid listener to "Oldies" radio (now thankfully called classic pop). The song's lyrics (I thought) refleceted my world at the time.

I did feel like when I was happy,my "peers" would hurt me to make me sad,angry & upset.

Which gave them (semmigly) pleasure. Or...if I tried to get back at them,I'd be the one punished (by teachers or principal) for defending myself. It felt like a no win situation .

Had i the maturity then,that I have now...Id've realized i should have held tight to who i was and how "I" wantedto be and no let it all envelop me into sadness.

So you see,some songs "can" do that,it depends
on the person and what they may be going through.
=============================================
I started a joke, which started the whole world crying,
but I didn't see that the joke was on me, oh no.

I started to cry, which started the whole world laughing,
oh, if I'd only seen that the joke was on me.

I looked at the skies, running my hands over my eyes,
and I fell out of bed, hurting my head from things that I'd said.

Til I finally died, which started the whole world living,
oh, if I'd only seen that the joke was on me.

I looked at the skies, running my hands over my eyes,
and I fell out of bed, hurting my head from things that I'd said.

'Til I finally died, which started the whole world living,
oh, if I'd only seen that the joke was one me.

Last edited by Borderstone; 05-20-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:56 AM   #7
Jim Nasium

Somebody must hate this song, a DJ on a BBC Local radio station played it one night and one listener phoned the station and complained, the DJ was fired.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...is+hat+on+1932
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:40 AM   #8
joveski

i love that woody quote too. but i love most of music. even a song is negative to one's self, it makes you feel better that you got it out there for others to hear!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #9
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
I Hate A Song

I hate a song that makes you think that you are not any good.
The song I'll Make A Man Out Of You from the Mulan soundtrack is pretty convicting; I sometimes play it before going to the gym.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote