banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2001, 12:13 AM   #1
Dorothea

I did not turn on my TV till approx. 8:24pm
tonight which happened to be set at channel 4 [nbc in my area]. 3rd Rock FROM THE SUN was on and to my surprise there is Dick standing in front of a theatre with a billboard in the background that had in LARGE
blockletters "Gordon Lightfoot in Concert"
and another handwritten cardboard sign over
the box office window that said "Sold Out"!
Dick was saying something about him standing
there with Lightfoot tickets when there was some Ice Capade show in the area... I realized that the plot of the show revolved
around Gordon!! And I missed it... mostly,
anyway. I found out that the story line was
that Dick was trying to show he wasn't self-
centered by showing selfless consideration for Mary by attempting to get front row seats
to the concert as Mary has been a loyal Lightfoot admirer since early 70's - sound
familiar? ;D. Did anyone catch this on tape?!
I will be sure to be looking for the rerun this summer. Please tell us about this episode if you saw 3rd Rock tonight. I've
surmised that there wasn't a cameo appearance
by Gord.
Dorothea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 08:19 PM   #2
charlene

I did up a transcript of sorts if anyone wants to read it!
It was funny!
No Gord or Gord music though!
char
westbrd@sprint.ca
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 12:26 AM   #3
Brick

Considering that native Detroiter and long time GL fan, Roger Graziani, is on the writing team for that show, I'm not too surprised. Wish I had seen it,too.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:41 PM   #4
Borderstone

I never noticed this thread before! ..and I thought I mentioned this 1st! : Has it really been only 2 & 1/2 years since that episode? Third Rock gets repeated so often it seems like an eternity! I know one thing,I would give any reasonable request if I could have gotten one of the shirts on that show! The only thing that could've made it funnier,is if Gord had met Dick Solomon and Dick sings,"If You Could Read My Mind" for him. He asks Gord what he thinks of it and Gord would say the title as his reply. Dick would then say,"Well,I can and I've never been so insulted!" Later!

------------------
Borderstone (An,"Avid Listner" of G.L.)
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 10:04 PM   #5
gwen snyder

Pretty funny BS. Have you ever written screen plays before?
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 02:29 PM   #6
Borderstone

Hi Gwen! Actually,yes! ...but it wasn't a movie,it was for a Sitcom.
I wrote it in 1984 and it was so lame!

Of course I was just 15 or 16,so I basically copied from all the comedies I'd watched. It was called,"Steppin' Out". I named it after the John Lennon song from the Milk & Honey LP. It was sort of 1/2 Bosom Buddies and 1/2 Three's Co.

A guy and his friend have both just moved away from their parents and gotten an apt. - naturally being an 80's Sitcom they move in next door to a pretty blonde and a beautiful dark haired woman. (That part I copied from the gosh awful "We Got It Made!" series from NBC).

Their landlord (ala 3's Co.) puts his nose in everyone's business and has a dumb rule that people can't have overnight guests of the opposite gender. Naturally,the 2 guys & girls do all they can to outsmart him. Needless to say,ABC sent it back with the standard form letter saying,"Thank you for your submission but etc."

I also tried writing a finale episode for Laverne & Shirley but by the time I finished it (spring '83) they had already been canceled.

As for 3rd Rock,I just thought the episode was crying out for at least a cameo appearence by Gordon Lightfoot. They spend nearly the whole episode talking about him,so the least they could have done was to make it worth his while to appear. Either what I wrote or even just to sing something.

What a lost opportunity to acquire a new generation of "avid listners". Well,it's been me Borderstone. Otherwise known as the Harry! of Phoenix! Later

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited July 27, 2003).]

[ April 13, 2006, 19:33: Message edited by: Borderstone ]
Old 07-27-2003, 08:53 PM   #7
gwen snyder

lol
Old 04-20-2004, 04:33 AM   #8
Borderstone

Old topic I know but I just realized this repeat of 3rd Rock was coming up again,here in Phoenix on FOX Channel 10. May 12th at... (1am!) If GL were in it I'd have taped it by now of course. It's always worth watching again though.

From Season 6 (the last season),Episode 132. Title? "You Don't Know Dick" (This is the title of the episode,I'm not being dirty!)
Dick Solomon tries to prove to Mary that he's more selfless than she says he is,so he tells her he has two tickets to her favorite singer's concert. Gordon Lightfoot of course.

I find it funny that the show is sold out because when I saw him in concert,it wasn't.
Also funny is that they try to get tickets from scalpers. Dick & Mary end up going into the concert through the air-vents,after he's failed to get tickets and convinces mary to be a "rebel" (or such.) It's worth waiting for,everytime!

It's been M'oi! Aurevoir!~ ~

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited April 20, 2004).]
Old 04-20-2004, 06:54 PM   #9
gwen snyder

Sounds funny BS. I like 3rd Rock, even though my husband looks at me like, "Are YOU watching that?"; it's funny, I laugh. I don't laugh at most of the current tv stuff, it's not funny. Bur, I stil laugh at every 3 stooges episode. My husband woke me up in the middle of the night the other night laughing until he was ready to cry at a 3 stooges episode, the one about the lost poodle that they "find". He told me the episode and we sat there laughing like two more than slightly over the end folk. It was funny though. My real point in stopping in here was to ask has anyone hear any more about Gord really doing concerts?
Old 04-20-2004, 07:55 PM   #10
Auburn Annie

quote: My real point in stopping in here was to ask has anyone hear any more about Gord really doing concerts?[/B]

See my posting a few topics down of an AP story out of the Miami Herald that starts: "Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot says that he hopes to be able to tour again by July."

No clarification as to whether that's 2004 or 2005 and I haven't seen anything else to confirm that. But that's the latest.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:50 AM   #11
Borderstone

Gwen,I wish it was on before,at least,10pm. It's a very funny show and always will be but 1am is a bit late. Even though I,again,will stay up for "that" show in particular. Been me,Aurevoir!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Old 06-23-2019, 06:38 PM   #12
charlene

Default Re: Gordon Lightfoot subject of tonights 3rd Rock

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2...6hOrTg8FLFhhUw
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote