View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
charlene

Default Stir Cove review

Review of Gordon Lightfoot at Stir Cove
by Karen Freeman
http://omahanightlife.com/articles/lightfoot_stircove

His voice is now a soft whisper in the wind, but his demeanor and his sincerity remains.

I love Gordon Lightfoot – I’ve always loved Gordon Lightfoot – and what a fabulous opportunity and thrill to be in his company once again. My favorite outdoor venue, Stir Cove, gave me my favorite folk singer on Sunday night. I stood in awe of what this man has accomplished and in admiration of a man who has overcome a host of obstacles in his five-decade career.
He was verbal and he was appreciative. He delivered every hit in my songbook and then some. Mr. Lightfoot is a legend. He is known most famously for his acoustic guitar performances and his baritone folk story-telling. This Canadian is nearly 72, but still has the fortitude to deliver an hour and a half performance to a full house. I won’t dwell on his maladies, but the man has suffered some life-threatening illnesses, and overcome them only to come back to his home on the stage.

Lightfoot is a decorated musician and songwriter, having received honors in both Canada and the US, as well as international acclaim. He has presented the legions of his fans with twenty albums – and nothing compares to this story-teller and his talents. I’d be willing to bet that each and every one of you knows the words to at least one Gordon Lightfoot song, even the youngsters! No one can intone Sundown, or If You Could Read My Mind quite like Lightfoot; nothing resonates like the warble of The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. It all still gave me goose bumps, but then I’m in love with some of his remote stuff like Daylight Katy. He is now and always will be a heart-tugger for me.

The audience was as anticipated. Mostly a baby-boomer crowd of couples, mostly in their chairs for the night and mostly reminiscing their first wedding dance to Beautiful. It was a two-way street of appreciation, a give and receive kind of night.

I’d just like to throw down my two-cents on a little concert decorum. I was extremely bothered by a group of six or eight folks right near the stage – who should have known better. It requires a great deal of effort to play to an audience, whether you’re a hard rocker, or a folk singer. That should in turn garner the respect and esteem of the adoring fan. These folks were more interested in conversation and belly laughter than the sweet melodies that were emanating from the platform. Hey – if that’s the case, take it to the back of the house and let the rest of us enjoy what we came to enjoy. I’m just sayin……..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote