Thread: Wolftrap Review
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 02:50 PM   #23
Mary Ellen

Hey, I found that "Cellar Door" article I remembered--and no wonder, because I posted a copy of it here on Corfid *myself* a couple of years ago--here's the URL; hope it links:

http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001459.html

Scroll down to Auburn Annie's posting of part 1 of this long profile from MacLean's magazine in 1968. My posting of part 2 (which has to do with Gord's week at the Cellar Door) follows.

[I just "re-upped" my Corfid membership to post the Wolf Trap review, and didn't realize that the other "MaryEllen" whose name I was not allowed to use was me! Sorry, administrators--you might want to delete that old membership.]

Dear Misty:

Thanks for the kind words about my review! The reason I mentioned the "friend" vs. "lady friend" was that I understand from other postings that Gord has introduced this song before using the word "erstwhile" -- I think the phrase he used was "erstwhile lady," or something like that. Just thought folks might like to know the variation he chose this particular night.

Interesting about the wedding ring--Thanks, Elizabeth! I couldn't see it, but I was way in the back, just underneath the roof. Watching through binoculars. Agree that the sound mix was a little muddy at times--but, then, that's outdoor concerts. I didn't mention in my reveiw Gord's intro to "The Wreck" or the few words he said about his illness, because I couldn't quite catch them.

BTW, forgot to mention that Gord gave a little extra emphasis to the word "might" when singing "Early Morning Rain," a la the Elvis version: "..cold and drunk as I *might* be." He once mentioned in an interview that he liked the King's southern-flavored take on this line, and has adopted it himself.
Mary Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote