View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 03:19 PM   #5
horizonfound

Default Re: Gordon's Master Recordings

I did a little searching and it appears the Warner Reprise material is all safe. It was not part of the destruction at Universal that claimed the Masters of so many giants across many genres of music.
What isn't clear is whether or not Warners Reprise have archived their original session tapes. Apart from some sessions near the start of their career, The Beatles session tapes, remarkably survive and have been preserved. Old Masters and Session tapes can fall victim to sticky tape syndrome...some of the Beatles tapes suffered from this but were preserved (by baking them) and then digitally transferred in the highest sonic resolution. I'm not sure how common a practice this is...the saving of session tapes...James Taylor's Warners catalog was recently released without a single bonus track...or alternate take. Similarly, Gordon's CD's do not contain outtakes or alternates (though there are added gems in the CD set Songbook). I often wondered, if HIS session tapes survive? I'd love to hear a stripped down, all acoustic version of the Don Quixote Album. The production value is beautiful on the record; but, so much of the acoustic playing is buried...I'd love to hear more of the band!
horizonfound is offline   Reply With Quote