View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #1
charlene

Default MISSISSAUGA,Ont.Nov.10-2017-VIDEOS/setlist-12 string Gibson damaged onstage

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/gor...htfoot.400856/

Les Paul forum:
A member posted this today: (go to link for all of the discussion - this is what he said)

Got the call last week. Would you like to do sound for Gordon Lightfoot at the Performing Arts Centre?
Me : Hell Yeah!!!

I grew up listening to Lightfoot....his songs were all over the radio dial. I have always loved his music but I have never seen him in concert before. He is getting up there in age so I thought I gotta see him!

Well he didn't disappoint. What a pro. What a disciplined band! Soundcheck was very lengthy....went from 4 -5:30. Gordon would call out a tune, then immediately count it in and the band was always, always right there. Sometimes he made a small signal and the band would stop on a dime....he would ask for some adjustment to the sound or to the way somebody played something and then 1 second later count in and off they went again. No time wasted at all.

He played most of his big hits....there would not have been enough time in the evening for them all.
If You Could Read My Mind, Carefree Highway, Sundown...too many to name. When he played The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald the place erupted. Something about that song has always moved me, and sure enough, I had a tear in my eye hearing him sing it. His voice was quite frail, but the sheer strength of the songs carried the day.

His guitar playing was razor sharp though and so was the band.

Just as he was introducing the last song of the night, his 12 string (the same one in the pic) slipped off his strap and crashed to the floor. I saw a big chunk of the back splinter off that old Gibson....a damn shame.

It was a long day for me....I was there from morning to almost midnight, but I'm so glad i can file this one away in the memory banks!

Yes, a chunk of the guitar's back about the size of my forearm was laying on the stage by his feet.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote