View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
charlene

Default Massey 2011 report - Pics

Well another 4 night stand at Massey Hall has come and gone. Fans from California, Texas, Maryland, Colorado, New Jersey, Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan, Florida, British Columbia, Germany, Australia, Toronto and surrounding area, Connecticut, New York came in to celebrate the music of The Man. And he did not disappoint. Omigoodness what a time we had. The weather was a bit cooler than usual and a bit of rain once in a while but it did not stop us from walking all over.

For most of us it was the first time seeing the Lightfoot orchestra since Terry died and walking into Massey Hall was bittersweet knowing how many wonderful concerts Terry had been part of over the years. Awaiting the moment when the band walked onstage without him was filled with sadness for me as I thought of how much he will be missed. When that moment came I held my breath and my focus slowly shifted to the 'new guy.' He sat up on his stool, looked around Massey Hall at the crowd that was standing and applauding and smiled a mega smile. This was a kid at Christmas opening the greatest gift he ever got. Rick, Mike and Barry were all smiling and Lightfoot walked out to a thunderous ovation.
He had a skip in his step and an energy in his body language...and it took off from there.

The voice was deep and resonant with nary a whisper or reedy sound all night. A couple of moments of raspiness, but it was a voice I hadn't heard in a long time. The band was energized, laughing and exchanging nods and smiles with each other during and after each song and having a ball. The dynamic onstage was clearly visible to the audience and it was reflected in the huge, prolonged ovations after every song. The contribution that Carter Lancaster makes is individual and specific to his style of playing and it was marvelous and the crowd made notice of it several times every night. Every note and flourish and was glorious. I now have a new musical term for this new sound - I thought the sound more 'pickier' - he picks every note so that it rings and sings and it brings a new dimension and colour to the songs. It's an energy in the music and attitude that is infectious and Barry, Mike and Rick all had new little additions in their playing. At times Lightfoot just had to accept the applause and bow to his boys. A couple of nights he introduced them twice!It was fabulous. He never stopped smiling and was clearly enjoying himself - even on Thursday night when a film crew with 7 cameras was recording the show in HD and a nervous energy was in the air. I believe that he, in collaboration with the CBC network possibly, will be using footage taken for a documentary. If he gives the go ahead it should be terrific. If not, he's bought himself a very price home movie.

Prior to the start of the Thursday show I suggested that when he walked out all of "Net People" stand and give him a huge ovation. After all this was going on record and hells bells - he SHOULD get one! The set list of night one would be duplicated for the taping so I also suggested at the break that when IYCRMM was finished that we give him another ovation. He always nails this song and I always struggle to remain seated when it's over. It always gets a grand reception but for such an important night it deserved to have the crowd on their feet going crazy. And they did. It certainly made Lightfoot and the band smile!

During the first concert and each subsequent one pieces of dust/fluff floated down from the ceilings of the old hall and fluttered around Lightfoot. None fell anywhere else onstage. I imagine the heat and vibrations loosened up some pieces along with Rick's new black and white bass booming away! Lightfoot ignored most but did pick up one rather large piece, examine it, shake his head and laugh. I thought he should break into Song For A Winters Night and he did play it on the last night. LOL

As usual at these gathering there is never enough time to spend a proper amount of time with every one but even just being in the same spot is special. We did get a good crowd at the PubJam that Ron so perfectly arranged and then the Group Dinner was a chance to be in the same space and get to chat with old friends. Ron outdid himself this year with the lineup of talent. Melissa, Paul B., Paul J., John S., T.G., Ed from Georgia, Kenyon, JJ, Rex, Myk H., - all contributed to a very special afternoon of tunes and friendship. The unveiling of Ron's son Liam's huge, gorgeous oil painting of the Lightfoot orchestra was the cherry on the top of the festivities. How stunningly beautiful and meaningful it was as a gift for his father. Hopefully we will soon be able to purchase copies of this gorgeous piece of art.

The days were spent walking around the city, some went to a Jays/White Sox ballgame at the Dome, others went shopping, a bunch drove to Orillia to see the hometown and home of The Man and see what a pretty little spot he sings of in Couchiching and so many of his songs. Others went to art galleries, the museum, the waterfront and the zoo. An event that happens every year called DOORS OPEN was on and some took advantage to see inside some of Toronto's landmark buildings. There's never a shortage of things to do and see or eat in Toronto.

I always love walking on Yonge Street and the side streets around Massey Hall during the time the shows are on and running into friendly faces of The Net People. When I return downtown at other times of the year all of those moments come back and make me smile with the memories of bumping into people from so far away and how I cherish their friendships.

Meeting Carter backstage was a lovely moment when Barry Keane took me over and introduced me to him. I put my hand out to shake his but he took a step towards me and gave me a huge hug, saying "Char - I've heard all about you!" oh oh. Jenney and others had met him several times earlier this year and I guess somehow my name came up. LOL
He was just buzzing with energy, his smile never waning and it was terrific to watch him meet his new fans. That's one fellow who has taken his huge talent and found himself in his own dream coming true. He is in the Lightfoot family, playing with The Man, sitting onstage with him at Massey Hall, a place he always wanted to play, and then finding himself on his second night there in a recording of this whole dream! Man oh man....no wonder he was buzzing with joy. He and his family are lovely, friendly and very gracious - just as Rick, Barry and Mike (and their families) are - and Terry was too.

It's always a huge thrill and honour to speak with all of them. One night I told Gordon that it was beautiful to see him constantly smiling and seeming to have an energy that came out in his voice. I had a bad case of 'hotel voice' - raspy and ragged from dry air and yelling after every song! I told him it was pretty funny that at my age (and his) that fans would lose their voices screaming at a Lightfoot concert..lol He laughed about that. It's always interesting to see who is backstage at Massey and the dynamic that goes on.

I had talked with Ron Sexsmith out front of Massey and was happy to speak with him after the concert too. He is a big fan of Lightfoot and I wanted to tell him that I had recieved his latest CD as a Mother's Day gift and I love it. He was very humble and thankful for my saying so. A few moments with Andy Kim was a treat too and a well known Canadian broadcaster, Brian Williams was fun to talk with as well. My daughter Lisa was down for the Friday and Saturday shows and it's always nice when the guys and Gordon all acknowledge her with welcoming hugs. This year Gordon put out his arms and pulled her to him in a big hug and when I went to take a picture, at the last moment he leaned his face against hers with a big grin! Love it!
On Friday night Ed Ringwald (Pee Wee) attended with his wife and as always it was terrific to speak with him and see him backstage. I have a great pic of Ed with Barry. With him in attendance that night I heard that distinctive pedal steel in my head many times during the show.

By Saturday night an hour or so after the concert he was ready to head out and we were all feeling the beginning of PMS (Post Massey Syndrome) start. It was hard to walk out those doors knowing another long 18 months was ahead of us until The Man came back to The Church of Gord on Shuter Street. We can see him in many different venues around North America but the pilgrammage to this hallowed hall is where he's at home and we are merely guests at a huge house party. Young and old have gathered there for 150 Lightfoot concerts over the last 40 years - from back in the day when a young, curly haired troubadour in embroidered denim walked onstage to sing songs of love, loss, relationships, country, history, hope and inspiration to the graceful and humble man he is today who defines much of what Canada is, what excellent, enduring music is, and who we fans are, Lightfoot has, and always will have me tagging along.

I'm sure more thoughts will come as I settle back and process what happened but for now here are some pics. I hope others will post their reports and pics as well so we can all enjoy them and for those who couldn't make it they can vicariously join in the fun.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote