View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #33
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: BBC Concert 1972

To complete the picture I have now received a second DVD from the same source this time a retitled copy of the 1979 PBS Soundstage recording which merits the same criticism that is usually made about the bootleg copy floating round.
It looks very much as though the digital "rip" was made from a 4th or 5th generation copy of an original VHS tape recording off air,not that it in my opinion seriously detracts from the value of this recording, and you soon get used to a seriously redhaired GL!
Even worse of course was the PBS video preparation crew's abysmal ignorance about
Gord's music so that it has an unforgiveably truncated Trilogy
As you can see from the artwork that I will be attaching the company that has made this version fails to make any mention of the video source being either PBS or Soundstage
They presumably took the name "Troubadour " from the PBS announcer's introduction
"If the word troubadour can be applied to 20th century music at all, then Gordon Lightfoot is a troubadour: perhaps the last one we shall ever see"
All the more strange then that, possibly to remove any mention of PBS or Soundstage for legal reasons (??) the entire opening sequence that is on the bootleg has been cut so that the DVD starts with Gord already singing Cotton Jenny.
The Amazon uk page is at:-
Gordon Lightfoot - Troubadour / Live:...Gordon Lightfoot - Troubadour / Live:... the price of £9.99 plus £1.26 UK delivery (£3.08 to the States ) is the same as for the Talking In You Sleep DVD
But unlike that DVD's artwork the fact that this is an NTSC DVD is omitted
(although allegedly all UK and European spec DVD players can handle both PAL and NTSC formats)
It is sometimes stated that North American players cannot play PAL DVDs which I know is patently untrue

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	troubadour disc .jpg
Views:	548
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	6618   Click image for larger version

Name:	troubadour_Insert.jpg
Views:	2055
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	6619  

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 01-28-2014 at 03:21 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote