View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 11:02 AM   #11
Kenyon

Overall, a great show. A lot of familiar faces and some new ones which was interesting for someone like me, not having grown up in the 1960s.

I was a little disappointed with the content on Gord though. They gave him a segment of about 2 minutes, even though he was one of the most influential Canadian artists of the 1960s. I mean, think about the reaction "Black Day in July" got south of the border. Consider that "The Way I Feel" was one of the best selling records in Canada in 1967. He was nominated for a grammy in 1968 for "Did She Mention My Name". They also failed to mention that "If You Could Read My Mind" was one of the only Canadian songs to make it into the top 5 of the American charts BEFORE Canadian Content laws were brought in. Now, that happened in 1971, but it didn't stop them from showing Neil Young's "Heart of Gold" which was also from the same year. And to top it all off, Lightfoot is one of the most covered artists of all time (behind Dylan, the Beatles and Paul McCartney I believe). They should have devoted more time to him.

In any case, I think it's high time someone produced a real, in-depth documentary about Lightfoot. After all, he is Canada's native son and has done so much for this country, be it by putting it on the map musically, or assisting and influencing a whole new generation of songwriters. In fact, I'm surprised something hasn't yet been done, considering we almost lost him 2 years ago. Maybe we should start a petition to the CBC!

Just my two cents.

Kenyon
Kenyon is offline   Reply With Quote