Thread: Canadian Idol
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2004, 03:21 PM   #11
Auburn Annie

There's a CBC article on the upcoming show with Gord. It reads as follows:

TORONTO - Canadian icon mentors Canadian Idol contestants

Canadian music guru Gordon Lightfoot will mentor the youngsters competing on CTV's Canadian Idol this week, as the contestants participate in a tribute to the celebrated singer/songwriter.

In an interview with broadcaster CTV, Lightfoot said he agreed to appear on the reality-TV show because producers allowed him to be very hands-on with the young singers.

"I'm a perfectionist," he said. "I got involved because I think I can direct the flow of the interpretations [of my music]."

Thursday's broadcast will show Lightfoot leading the remaining six competitors in individual workshops, as they rehearse their chosen song from his oeuvre, including If You Could Read My Mind, Sundown and Rainy Day People. As a group, they will sing Canadian Railroad Trilogy and Steel Rail Blues.

Lightfoot, who was sidelined by an abdominal hemorrhage in 2002 and endured subsequent bouts of surgery, only recently returned to the stage. The multiple Juno Award-winner and companion of the Order of Canada released his latest album, entitled Harmony, in May.

Here's the CTV interview:

World First: Canadian Idol Goes Instrumental This Thursday
Toronto, Ontario (August 16, 2004) – For the first time ever on any Idol program anywhere, competitors on this Thursday's one-hour Canadian Idol results episode will accompany themselves on musical instruments, CTV announced today.

Airing live this Thursday, August 19 from 8 - 9 p.m. ET/PT on CTV, the six remaining competitors will not only sing but also play guitar, piano, bass, mandolin and fiddle together on the classic Gordon Lightfoot song "Canadian Railroad Trilogy." Canadian Idol is the first series out of over 25 Idol programs seen around the world in which competitors will play instruments.

"Canadian Idol is recognized as being one of the most innovative and successful Idol franchises in the world," said Susanne Boyce, CTV's President of Programming and Chair of CTV Media Group. "We're blessed with a group of competitors who are not only outstanding singers, but talented musicians as well. Thursday night's show will add another fantastic dimension to the Canadian Idol phenomenon."

Beginning this week, Canadian Idol's Thursday night results shows will expand to one hour. On Thursday's show, in which one of the six remaining competitors will be eliminated, Canadian Idol will continue this week's tribute to "The Music of Gordon Lightfoot." In addition to "Canadian Railroad Trilogy," the Top Six will also take to the stage to perform "Steel Rail Blues." Lightfoot, one of Canada's most revered musical icons, will make another rare television appearance on Thursday night's show.

Additionally, Thursday night's show features a performance by 2003 Canadian Idol finalist Billy Klippert and his band. Klippert will perform "Again" from his new, self-titled album.

Canadian Idol's remaining six finalists are: Jason Greeley, 27, Upper Island Cove, NL; Jacob Hoggard, 20, Abbotsford, BC; Elena Juatco, 19, Vancouver, BC; Kalan Porter, 18, Medicine Hat, AB; Theresa Sokyrka, 23, Saskatoon, SK and Shane Wiebe, 21, Abbotsford, BC.

Canadian Idol is Canada's most-watched television program, averaging more than 2 million viewers (2.06M, Wednesday nights) per episode (Source: BBM).

[This message has been edited by Auburn Annie (edited August 16, 2004).]
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote