View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 03:04 AM   #1272
myk

My favorite song is It's Worth Believin'. It is hard to pinpoint only one thing that makes this song my favorite. From a broader perspective, it makes me think back to a close, romantic relationship I had with a girl in college. We were very much in love and talked about marriage and having children someday. For various reasons, our love for each other slowly faded over the years, and we parted ways. I think that this song brings back those feelings that you have for a person that you are deeply in love with but are nearing the end of the road of your time together on earth. There isn't any one thing that causes the breakup, it's something that happens slowly over time. Then it builds to the point like described in this song, where you and the other person are just so disconnected and you wonder how something that was once so good got to be so bad.

This song brings up the very sad and empty feeling that you get in your heart at such a time when you start to realize that you won't ever be with this person again in the same capacity. I think that this is the most difficult aspect about parting ways with a loved one...realizing your future without them. You may fall in love and be in a much more fulfilling relationship again, but you will never be with that same person again.

This song is like a bag of pine needles that I used to have in my bureau drawer as a child and still have to this day. Thirty years later I find myself holding that bag to my nose and smelling the familiar smell of pine and being transported back to a different time in my life. That's what Gordon's songs, especially this one, do for me.
myk is offline   Reply With Quote