Thread: Town Hall show
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 04:27 PM   #1
Veronica

Where to begin ? Thanks everyone for the setlists, I'm never good at that.

NYC is a great place for any show and not just because I was born and raised there, LOL. Max from Italy could not make it so he told me to use his tickets which I gave to my sister and my niece (no, not her daughter). Had a great NY bistro meal down the street and got there too early, doors were shut. My wife said "hey, there's the bass player" to which I replied "no dear that's Terry" and she said "you're right !" So we walked around 42nd St for awhile. Nice but what a freak show, LOL.

Circled the block and whne we got back the doors were open and Rick and Barry were walking up the street. We said hello and they almost seemed surprised to be recognized and then we went in.

Spotted John Fowles two rows ahead of us and said hello and went to make sure my sister's seats were cool - they were ! Went back to chat with John for awhile and after some time his wife and MIL and my wife showed up. Getting close !

Great crowd reaction to the band and Gord as they took the stage. But NYC is tough and there was a major problem with the vocal sound level. I'm no expert but it was just wrong and after each song the crowd was shouting 'turn up the mic' and 'we can't hear you' etc. They were polite but insistent. Later in the set Gord acknowledged the complaints but played it off saying "hey - we're an acoustic act, haha" I don't think he knew how bad it was. We were in the 4th row center and during Sundown you could hear Rick almost as well as Gord and he has no mic. But there was great applause after each tune, we are "fans" after all.

Intermission and the crowd was buzzing about "his voice" some claiming it was not the equipment but the cigarettes and hard life. Many in the crowd had not seen him for 30 years, etc. I was a little worried some folks might leave.

But never fear ! When they came back the sound was up and perfect and he stood a little closer to the mic. He was hitting home runs with every song and the crowd showered him with loud applause and prolonged clapping. Each tune got better and better and he was smiling like a kid at the reception. Perfect rendition of Beautiful and the great verse in Let It Ride was where it belonged.

The second set was as good as I have ever heard, it was great, great, great and better. He was not as chatty as sometimes but made a few references to "getting home after tonight". When he started CRT as the encore I said to my wife "only one encore tonight" and I was right. He nailed it and let the crowd happy and wanting more as it should be.

If 2006 is half as good as this show we're in for a treat.

More later,

Bill

P.S. My wife had the treat of a 300 pound man next to her who came in late with his friends and alternately sang and snored through the first set. Mercifully he stood in the back for the second set. I think he was 'stoned', ya think ?
Veronica is offline   Reply With Quote