View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #43
jj

Default Re: Lightfoot interview in Orillia @ St.Pauls church-NEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dray7austin View Post
This whole page and posting is just beautiful. I never realized that about The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald. What a man he is to step up and respect the feelings of others and either change a lyric or not sing the song any longer. A man or woman who lives by their principles is always a friend of mine. But I am wondering exactly when he decided not to use "the hatch cover" lyrics for on the "All Live" he was still using it. And I can't recall the last few times I've seen him sing it although I've sang along during the song. But in all fairness to Gordon, he wrote "the hatch ways caved in". He never said that the water came in through open hatch covers. If the "hatch ways or covers did cave in under the weight of water, maybe three waves, wouldn't the blame be on the ship builders and not members of the crew? God bless all who passed that day. And thank you Gordon for bringing their story to us so we'll always remember them.

I think we mostly agreed that immortalizing the hatch cover lyric on the All Live was a huge contradiction. I wonder if management or Gord wrote apologies after that business decision.

Sure the recordings were made before the change to lyrics were made but why not slip in an easy vocal edit or make a little effort to record recent bit in entirety or edit the few seconds. Maybe they tried. After what Doidge pulled off in producing the Harmony tracks, this wouldn't seem a big deal.

I'm sure the family(s) know Gords done lots for them and are not too hung up on it. Well I'm not sure but imagine so. Likely informed them before the cd release. That would be good damage control and imagine he and class act management would be on top of it. Good ask...
jj is offline   Reply With Quote