johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: The Gord Clone Busking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
Thanks John.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
I'm still hung up on the rotary phone thing.
But the "Magic Minstrel Show." Yes, I checked out the lyrics and they are of course very beautiful as one would expect from the pen of the master, and the chords don't seem to present any problem but I have yet to hear the song.
Is there some way you can send it to me?
The elder Jones.
Now now Ron it really is about time that you hung up your old rotary phone
Younger readers may well be wondering what you are talking about anyway, and as an aside I well remember the wonderment I felt soon after my arrival in Montreal in 1964 when I found that I could havein my own home one of the newfangled push button phones,

not only that but Bell Canada (as it then was) even offerred without prompting to supply an extra long connecting cable so that the phone location was not restricted to being near go the socket as was enforced in the UK.
I had of course heard about these push button phones back in the UK but at that time the British Post Office (Royal Mail) had a complete and unreasonable monopoly on the supply of telephone equipment including the installation and you were forbidden under the threat of fines or deportation or worse

to modify or extend their wiring or heaven forbid connect a different phone (the excuse being that it might damage their precious system!). indeed it was not until well after I had returned to England in late 1969 that sense prevailed and one could legally purchase and install modern phones, wiring and sockets but (initially at least) not until the PO engineers had tested and approved any alternative modern phone to replace the prewar design which was still the standard Post Office issue
Now regarding the MMS recording In my posting at: -
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showpost.php?p=162597&postcount=6
I did say:-
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
Yes I have now heard this extreme rarity in a February 1983 concert bootleg

one of those that Wayne failed to get and publish the setlist for
most noticeable and memorable is the fact that the "male chorus" are very prominent singing the "yes I will" refrains
Also performed was a sublime Seven Island Suite, Biscuit City and Salute
I found this old thread whilst hunting for another old thread which I clearly remember listed songs which never to anyone's knowledge had ever been performed live (i think possibly Salute was one of them??) Does anybody remember or is able to refind that thread to check
One has to assume that MMS is in Wayne's extensive collection because he was obviously able to hear it in order to transcribe the lyrics
i will be passing details to at least two keen collectors shortly[/quote]
and I surmised that basically punters would wish to have the complete concert recording that contained this rare live rendition, and I fully intended creating a zip file to upload to rapidshare. But unfortunately the original compiler of both the streaming all in one low quality wmv file sugarmegs recording at
http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/GordonLightfoot1983-02-17OperaHouseSanFranciscoCA.asx
(which anybody can find if they take the trouble)
and a high quality FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) file set torrent
whilst he must be applauded for making this gem of a bootleg available he had done a very poor job trancribing from the original recording because three tracks were double songs and the magnificent Seven Island Suite recording was in two pieces one of which i at a lower ound level bevause it appears to be monaural. I confess that I have yet to sort this out to my satisfaction nor have I uploaded the whole concert but I will now upload a high quality mp3 of the Magic Minstrel Show rendition and pass the link to Ron
That thread that I could not then find is subject:-
Help request: from long time concert goers
at:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=19529&highlight=cabaret
and Jones The Younger's posting of "the list of standard recording that have not been
(p)layed live, to the best our collective knowledge? is at:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showpost.php?p=151475&postcount=22

Last edited by johnfowles; 08-27-2010 at 12:01 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote