View Single Post
Old 07-08-2006, 05:51 PM   #24
Sydney Steve

Well I don't in the sense I understand the word. In fact I went scurrying for the dictionary to confirm my understanding of it. The dictionaries I looked at supported the view it is not chauvinistic.
The meaning that appears to be meant to apply are these from a few different online sources includes :

* Prejudiced belief in the superiority of one's own gender, group, or kind:

* activity indicative of belief in the superiority of men over women

* undue partiality or attachment to a group or place to which one belongs or has belonged

* an attitude of superiority toward members of the opposite sex; also : behavior expressive of such an attitude

Just because Gord stated it was chauvinistic merely shows he is not truly aware of what chauvinism is. He's an entertainer not a linguist.
Nothing in it conveys a view of superiority of any group over another and not of men over women .

The song does not exactly display the nicest of sentiments but it conveys a sort of "I am not totally to blame here -you picked me" type sentiment...(Some would argue a cop-out and a rather petulant, self centred view), but even that would depend on whether said gal had been made aware at the outset of the singers failings.

But then there is a different way to look at it too which may be hinted at in this verse:
Quote:
So don't you shed a tear for me
B'cause I ain't the love you thought I'd be
I got a hundred more like you
So don't be blue
I'll have a thousand 'fore I'm through
There is a hint here that the singer is deliberately being an A grade mongrel to help make the healing easier for the girl after he is gone. It is his method of making parting easier because he feels it will be easier on her to part with someone who has shown himself as a self centred philandering egomaniac, than it would be if he parted with her feeling she had really lost something/someone of value…. A sort of “reverse psychology gift” to her if you will.. Just a thought…

When all said and done though it is not an autobiographical song - rather an observation of a slice of life & people and should not be confused as it being some sort of reflection of Gord's personal views or life...

PS If we are talking chauvinism I would say the lyrics from 14 Karat Gold is a better example...The whole tenure of the song treats the woman as a valuable possession - "She's more than money ,Shes 14 Karat Gold.." (Which might I add is not a very precious grade of gold!) lol...
But hey its just a song ..I recall singing "I am Woman" heartily...still do (on the quiet) if the truth be told...but anatomically/psychologically it may not be quite accurate...

*Stevo's entry in the overly verbose,tedious and lengthy post competition* which has a number of worthy and willing participants I note...