View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
seafarer62

Default Minneapolis- March 22, 2009: Set List

Gord said he has been to Minneapolis so many times he has lost track. I never tire of seeing him in concert - now over 40 times.

The concert was rather early - 7:00 p.m. - on a pleasant but windy early spring evening. The State Theatre seats nearly 2,000. It looked mostly sold out on the main level but I didn't get a good view of the balcony. Some guy was scalping tickets right out front. (Minnesota changed its scalping law recently, now allowing it.)

Set List:

1. Triangle
2. Cotton Jenny
3. 14 Karat Gold
4. Never Too Close
5. Let It Ride
6. A Painter Passing Through
7. Rainy Day People
8. Shadows
9. Beautiful
10. Carefree Highway
11. Hangdog Hotel Room
12. Ribbon of Darkness
13. Sundown
14. Me and Bobby McGee
Intermission
15. Wreck of Edmund Fitzgerald
16. Alberta Bound
17. Don Quixote
18. Minstrel of the Dawn
19. Waiting For You
20. If You Could Read My Mind
21. Baby Step Back
22. Restless
23. Early Morning Rain
24. Encore: Song for A Winter's Night
25. Encore: Old Dan's Records

Seems like Minneapolis may have been shorted a song or two when compared to other set lists. Songs I expected that were not done include In My Fashion, Clouds of Loneliness, and Watchman's Gone. Nevertheless, Gord gave a strong performance. I'm in agreement that his voice for the most part was pretty strong. The main difficulty I could hear was during Painter and Rainy Day People. Finishing Rainy Day, he said he felt like he had a loose tonsil (in his throat.)

Things of interest to the newsgroup. First, he changed a word in Restless. Instead of scrimshaw, he changed the line to "and the necktie that he had." Second, on Song for a Winter's Night, he has rearranged the line "If I could only you have near." He has inserted a couple of breaks in the delivery. He did some similar rearranging work on "Beautiful" years ago. Gord also said that this was concert 15 of 15 and they were headed back to Toronto tonight.

"Me and Bobby McGee" was clearly the highlight for me. I had never heard it before in concert in my 30+ years. There are a couple of versions on YouTube that are outstanding if any of you want to experience it.

I was able to say hello to several folks. Great to visit with them all: Paul and Sharron (MnMouse) who drove a long ways from northern Minnesota. Ruth (GitchiGumee) and her friend Joyce sat directly in front of my sister and me. A woman (April) who works in the same building as me was also there. (I'm trying to get April on Corfid now.) Claudia and RJ were in the orchestra pit, front and center. Last I saw Claudia and RJ, they had backstage passes.

My wife Debbie and I have tickets for Thunder Bay (April 17) and Sault St. Marie (April 18). Little vacation around Lake Superior. I'll report in when we get back April 20.
seafarer62 is offline   Reply With Quote