View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #20
redhead

Default Re: Massey Hall setlist Saturday 21 November 2009

Perhaps I can put some perspective on this for Couch Itching.

Back in the early 90's my parents had the privilege of seeing Frank Sinatra perform live. People kept calling out to the stage, expressing their love and admiration for the man and after a few songs, he laughed and asked the audience if they wanted him to chat or if they wanted him to sing -- it was their nickel. The overwhelming majority said "TALK" and that's exactly what he did for the duration of the show. My parents said it was probably the best show they ever attended.

The point is, people didn't go to see Frank Sinatra that night to hear a carbon copy of what they could have played on a record at home. They went for the experience of sharing an evening with their favorite performer and to forge a greater connection to the man who's music they've loved for so many years.

It's no different for G.L. fans. We're with him because in addition to all of those great songs we enjoy hearing him perform, the experience of being in a room with him as he speaks and plays solely for us is a joyous occasion that establishes an even deeper connection between "the man" and his public.

Now do you get it?

Last edited by redhead; 11-22-2009 at 10:45 PM.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote