Thread: New album out
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #16
spocksbrain

Default Re: New album out

Hi,
To date, Sunday Concert from 1969 is the only official audio live release from Gordon Lightfoot. There are numerous unofficial live releases, the most common being the Montreau 1976 album and the considerably better Avery Fisher Hall recording from 1977. In addition, there are several good quality soundboard recordings from that era and others.

I am excited about the possibility of a new live release, but I also wish Gordon would go back and release some of the 1983 and 84 shows he recorded as well. That was a great era for the band, with both steel guitar and keyboars to supplement the music.

Personall, I would like to see Gord and the boys recruit PeeWee and an orchestra to give us a special concert for such a release. His music is well deserving and ripe for such a treatment. But, alas, he is a purist and will probably not do such.

BTW, I love Sunday Concert. It is a very well done LP. One of my professors once said he felt it was the greatest recording ever. Well, I don't necessarily agree with that, but it is certainly damn good.