Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Minneapolis- March 22, 2009: Set List (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=19470)

seafarer62 03-22-2009 11:49 PM

Minneapolis- March 22, 2009: Set List

Gord said he has been to Minneapolis so many times he has lost track. I never tire of seeing him in concert - now over 40 times.

The concert was rather early - 7:00 p.m. - on a pleasant but windy early spring evening. The State Theatre seats nearly 2,000. It looked mostly sold out on the main level but I didn't get a good view of the balcony. Some guy was scalping tickets right out front. (Minnesota changed its scalping law recently, now allowing it.)

Set List:

1. Triangle
2. Cotton Jenny
3. 14 Karat Gold
4. Never Too Close
5. Let It Ride
6. A Painter Passing Through
7. Rainy Day People
8. Shadows
9. Beautiful
10. Carefree Highway
11. Hangdog Hotel Room
12. Ribbon of Darkness
13. Sundown
14. Me and Bobby McGee
Intermission
15. Wreck of Edmund Fitzgerald
16. Alberta Bound
17. Don Quixote
18. Minstrel of the Dawn
19. Waiting For You
20. If You Could Read My Mind
21. Baby Step Back
22. Restless
23. Early Morning Rain
24. Encore: Song for A Winter's Night
25. Encore: Old Dan's Records

Seems like Minneapolis may have been shorted a song or two when compared to other set lists. Songs I expected that were not done include In My Fashion, Clouds of Loneliness, and Watchman's Gone. Nevertheless, Gord gave a strong performance. I'm in agreement that his voice for the most part was pretty strong. The main difficulty I could hear was during Painter and Rainy Day People. Finishing Rainy Day, he said he felt like he had a loose tonsil (in his throat.)

Things of interest to the newsgroup. First, he changed a word in Restless. Instead of scrimshaw, he changed the line to "and the necktie that he had." Second, on Song for a Winter's Night, he has rearranged the line "If I could only you have near." He has inserted a couple of breaks in the delivery. He did some similar rearranging work on "Beautiful" years ago. Gord also said that this was concert 15 of 15 and they were headed back to Toronto tonight.

"Me and Bobby McGee" was clearly the highlight for me. I had never heard it before in concert in my 30+ years. There are a couple of versions on YouTube that are outstanding if any of you want to experience it.

I was able to say hello to several folks. Great to visit with them all: Paul and Sharron (MnMouse) who drove a long ways from northern Minnesota. Ruth (GitchiGumee) and her friend Joyce sat directly in front of my sister and me. A woman (April) who works in the same building as me was also there. (I'm trying to get April on Corfid now.) Claudia and RJ were in the orchestra pit, front and center. Last I saw Claudia and RJ, they had backstage passes.

My wife Debbie and I have tickets for Thunder Bay (April 17) and Sault St. Marie (April 18). Little vacation around Lake Superior. I'll report in when we get back April 20.

Peter Bro10 03-23-2009 12:04 AM

Re: Minneapolis- March 22, 2009: Set List

Seafarer62,

Thanks for the review.

I thought I was "hearing things" when he did Restless (last night in Rockford IL), and as you noted, switched "scrimshaw" for "necktie".

charlene 03-23-2009 05:41 AM

I noticed that he rearranged parts of SFAWN in January at Hugh's Rooom. I liked it.
video from that night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&v=koacHYXULVU

Don't quite understand the 'necktie' adaptation tho..lol
Sounds like a great time and you got to met up with several other "net people" so that was a bonus.

Enjoy the TB and SSM shows in April.

RJ 03-23-2009 01:09 PM

Good Minneapolis crowd as usual on a Sunday night. Very attentive and appreciative. The applause after IYCRMM went on for an extra half minute or so and gave me goosebumps. When he sang the line, "I wonder how the old folks are tonight..".. about 40 people or so screamed out the answer that they were, apparently, doing just fine. I don't know if this was a large group of fans that had it in mind to respond this way, or something that just erupted spontaneously, but it was a cool and fun moment. I'm sure it's nothing that's new, but I'd never heard before, in all my years, that he now sings, "In a RUSTIC old hall in Detroit they prayed.." etc.. Maybe I must zone out a little during the song and not realize it. I do recall years ago he told a story that he visited the Maritime Sailors' Cathedral and the nun, whoever it was, as they walked up to the front of the place turned to him and said, "..and it's not 'musty' either!".. etc.. Thus the lyric switch obviously then. It's quite remarkable that she would have admonished him, and he would then stand corrected and actually change the lyric. What a guy..
They came out into the theater and met with a handful of folks about 1/2 hour after the show..
I talked with Mike Heffernan and asked him if it wasn't the most ambitious month in a couple years..
He said he thought it may have been the most ambitious month since he started (1981)..
I don't think that's quite true..
but they looked relieved afterward and quite happy to be heading home..
It was a good evening at the State Theater..
Hopefully there's a next time down the road..

djpubbs 03-23-2009 01:31 PM

i can't agree anymore with the comments re: last night's show! i just can't get it out of my head...the whole experience...great music, family, friends, and gord!

i thought the set list was solid...although on my "wish list" was ony and cherokee bend (which has always been on ym live wish list, and i'm afraid will forever!)...otherwise solid, solid show!

got to see terry clements outside the venue prior to the show...smokin' a cigar and shottin' the breeze a bit.

bottom line: great night!

also, seafarer...i may have seen you at the show...only deducing from you intitial post. i was seated on the main floor...section 4...stage left...row f. i heard someone talking about "40 + shows and bobby mcgee!" very well might have been you!

podunklander 03-23-2009 01:48 PM

aw great to read these stories and as always -appreciate when folks have the time to share them here.

oh yeah! I was so enthused upon getting to hear Me and Bobby!!! Gordon's rendition is awesome!!! Man, Imho his phrasing really puts his signature on this song. And in regards to phrasing in general, there are only 2 masters for which no others can compare and that would be the Chairman of the Board of course, and the Chairman of THIS Board ;).

BILLW 03-23-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

=charlene;150145]I noticed that he rearranged parts of SFAWN in January at Hugh's Rooom. I liked it.
video from that night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&v=koacHYXULVU

Don't quite understand the 'necktie' adaptation tho..lol
Well if I had to guess (speculate?) I'd say someone green or young (say a girl child) got to him about glamorizing the ancient art of carving on whale bone or seal tusks. In this day and age even mentioning historical whaling in a positive light will get you run out of town.

Bill :)

RM 03-23-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILLW (Post 150160)
In this day and age even mentioning historical whaling in a positive light will get you run out of town.

And.... never...ever... read "Moby Dick"

johnfowles 03-23-2009 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by podunklander (Post 150158)
Chairman of THIS Board ;).

Pam did you mean the Chairwoman of this board the ever efficient CHARwoman??!
Great review John. I cannot think why Gord changed "scrimshaw" to Necktie , perhap his tie was choking him and it was on his mind
I always liked the idea of a schooner carved on a piece of Whalebone
to illustrate the image from the past
"Of an old schooner flyin down a sky thats overcast "
or that your dad had a scrimshaw
"Of an old schooner rovin neath a sky thats ironclad"

http://images.statelibrary.tas.gov.a...1124066960.jpg

Royal Navy frigate under full sail - scrimshaw on whalebone plaque
http://images.statelibrary.tas.gov.a...1124066960.jpg

Claudia 03-23-2009 08:29 PM

6 Attachment(s)
After all those great reviews already, I can hardly add anything new anymore...:rolleyes: Oh yes, maybe a handful pictures...??? :biggrin:
It really was a terrific evening and like for everybody else I was happy to hear Me & Bobby McGee. When I talked to Rick in San Diego last year he said chances are really slim they would keep it in the loop - only did it a few times because they met Kristofferson... Obviously they reconsidered and Mike Heffernan agreed with me that it's a perfect song for Gordon's voice.

It was great fun to talk to all Corfid people - time is just flying by way too quickly. But I'm confident we'll meet on again off again...

podunklander 03-23-2009 09:57 PM

VERY GREAT photos thanks!!! Hey Vickie -that photo of Terry is far better than the one I sent you last year ;)!!!!

Peter Bro10 03-24-2009 09:32 AM

Very nice pictures Claudia. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Just isn't anything like a Lightfoot concert, is there?

KHester 03-24-2009 09:47 AM

I Love This Site!!!

Thanks to all who have posted comments and pictures for this recent tour.
You have all done a wonderful Job.

Great Reviews, comments and wonderful pictures. Gordon and the guys continue to amaze us.Over the past couple of weeks. We have been blessed with some of the best pictures I've seen. Looks like the band is looking forward to their well deserved rest. The rest of us are going to continue being busy at our computers and stereos doing some Lightfooting.

Kevin

Peter Bro10 03-24-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KHester (Post 150205)
I Love This Site!!!

Thanks to all who have posted comments and pictures for this recent tour.
You have all done a wonderful Job.

Great Reviews, comments and wonderful pictures.

Kevin

And we do love our "ill gotten gain" photos...
As mentioned in other current threads, picture taking comes with an element of risk, depending on the venue. Brave and daring fans are we!!!

But seriously, there have been some really nice photos posted recently!

patybear 03-24-2009 04:33 PM

Nice bunch of photos! Thanks for posting them.
patybear

Gitchigumee 03-25-2009 10:26 AM

I, too, had the privilege of being in attendance on Sunday evening at the State Theatre in Minneapolis. I attended with my friend Joan, who is a relative newcomer in her appreciation for Gordon Lightfoot. For me, this was my third time seeing Gord at the State Theatre, and my sixth GL concert overall. I would like to share a couple of my own thoughts on the concert as well as the moments that stood out most for me.

The State Theatre venue is perfect for Gordon Lightfoot. Each time I have seen him there, the place has been packed, the crowd has been very enthusiastic, and the atmosphere electric. This time, I was sitting next to a fellow who, each time Gord began playing a song, would make these wonderful comments like, "Ahhhh..." or "Oh yeahhhh..." or "mmmmm...." He was thoroughly enjoying the concert, and I could tell he may never have seen Gord before or if he had, it had been a long time since.

There were some very outgoing fans in the balcony, and one man in particular would shout out loudly and clearly things like "I love you Gordon" and then of course Gord would smile in his humble and shy way. At one point between songs someone shouted out "Do Early Morning Rain!" to which Gord quickly said "OK" and then jumped right into that song.

Gord repeated some of his usual stuff such as the joke about the hare, making a comment about one of his ex-old-ladies, and how he never heard a cover that he didn't like. It is such a delight to hear him like this and I hang on every word--he just cracks me up, some of his jokes and stories are so corny!

I loved it when he sang Me & Bobby McGee, I was SO EXCITED because I had been hoping to hear it! The minute he began to say something about Kris Kristofferson, I knew what he was leading up to, and I'm sure I impressed everyone around me when I exclaimed, "He's gonna do Bobby McGee!" He did a terrific job, he just nailed it.

I absolutely melted when he sang Ribbon of Darkness and the part where he sang "the rain is fallin' on the mea---dow, where once my love and I did lie...now she is gone from the mea---dow, my love, good...bye." I could not help but let an "awwee" excape my lips each time he sang "mea---dow." It was so sweetly sung. Ribbon of Darkness is special to me as it is the one song which if I could do a duet with Gord, that would be it.

I was very happy to have spotted Louise and Gary in the audience and say hi to them, whom I had met 18 months earlier at, of course, a GL concert. I was shocked during intermission, after I stood up to stretch when the lights went up, and I turned around and there was John (Seafarer) sitting directly behind me with his sister. I had met them also 18 months ago at, of course, a GL concert. It struck me during the 2nd half of the concert, how much fun it would be to sit next to a fellow Corfidian during the actual concert--someone who appreciates all of the lyrics, notes, songs, stories, and love for Gord as much as I do.

There is so much more I could say, but suffice it to say, it was another magical night and I am still floating on my own Lightfoot cloud even 3 days afterwards.

Thank you Gordon Lightfoot and guys, for bringing such absolute joy to my life! I love you!

- Gitchigumee

Aime_41 03-26-2009 10:06 PM

Thanks all of you for your review of the Minneapolis Concert.:) It was awesome wasn't it??!! There WAS a wonderful spontaneous outpouring of audience participation which you pointed out, that was such a thrilling experience to be a part of.:) Glad that so many of you got to talk with Gord and the band. I got my first autograph and hug. (Canadian hug.:):) ) We got to talk to Ruth with was a real treat, John think that we saw you and your sister.:)

Having to use my "old" name, as haven't been able to access the site with my most recent one for the better part of a year. Must be just "old age" on my part. It's nice to be back!!!:):):)

Aime_41 ~ aka louisemnnpls ~

Gitchigumee 03-27-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aime_41 (Post 150330)
I got my first autograph and hug. (Canadian hug.:):) ) ~

That is awesome! Please tell us about it!

Aime_41 03-27-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gitchigumee (Post 150377)
That is awesome! Please tell us about it!

Again have to thank all of you for the reviews and the photos....they are great!!!
Ruth.....about the autograph and hug....:) We stood right where you told us to stand last time we saw you. We waited for awhile, when someone came out and said that "it would be awhile yet, as this was their last date before they head back to Toronto, and the were talking with friends inside...probably some of you.:) We had at that point started talking to other people around us, so the time passed quite quickly. Then, all of the sudden "HE" was there!!:) My husband (Gary) pushed me ahead just a bit and he was right in front of me. The lady next to me wanted a hug. When he signed my autograph I suddenly blurted out "I need a hug, too. You were awesome.!!!!" Then said "and I'm half Canadian, and grew up on Lake Superior." So got my real "Canadian Hug" as my husband now calls it, from Gord. Have been waiting just about 40 years for that!!!:) Was it worth it???
You'd better believe it was. It is probably the high point of the autumn of my life. It was SO worth it!!!!!

~Peace~

Aime_41 ~ aka ~ louisemnnpls ~

Gitchigumee 03-29-2009 02:06 PM

Congratulations Louise! You are a most deserving fan, and very huggable too I might add. Way to go! It's awesome when dreams come true.