Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Soundstage 1979 - Very Good Quality (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=28463)

T.G. 02-02-2017 01:46 AM

Soundstage 1979 - Very Good Quality

A really good-quality version of the 1979 Soundstage special:

paskatefan 02-03-2017 06:48 AM

Re: Soundstage 1979 - Very Good Quality

Thanks! I shared this with two friends who have attended his concerts with us.

Gail

Lisa J 02-10-2017 03:12 PM

Thank you for this!

T.G. 02-11-2017 12:38 AM

You're welcome!

Kelly Davis 02-15-2017 06:41 PM

Any way to make a hard ______ of this show?

joveski 02-16-2017 08:25 AM

you can buy it on DVD. the quality isnt tops, but i've got this one:

http://www.maximumsound.biz/gordon-l...ago-79-on-dvd/

Kelly Davis 02-16-2017 12:40 PM

I have it also, just not this good of quality.

johnfowles 06-22-2017 01:26 PM

I am about to try to make direct contact with the obvious Lightfoot fan who uploaded the "full stereo " version that he had lovingly recovered from his original 1979 videotape but before I do i am going to make some comments that I intended to make back in February when I displayed two screenshots in a text forum thread
these are the "red" version

https://s25.postimg.org/zf73jg2wv/So...d_audience.jpg

Which is pretty well identical to the very first version that I saw back in 1997 in a special VHS videtape compilation that a prominant Lightfoot fan had made for me. This was obviously at least a second generation copy. and subsequent DVDs tha I acquired were evidently from the same source recording.Indeed I was very disapointed when I found that the Amazon UK sourced "Ttroubadour" DVD had apparently used the same red tinged recording as shown in the screenshot above that I made from an avi format rip of the DVD whereas the "full stereo" recording was wonderfully and vastly superior . but as yet I have not seen a DVD made from it, which i feel strongly should be done as a fully official issue to remove this gem from the "bootleg" category, which is the basic message I want to convey to the hero who has it.
so here is that "full stereo" version:-

https://s25.postimg.org/9v4td0hj3/pa...test_video.jpg

those two screenshots were made of approximately the same scene on each of the recordings as viewed in Windows Media Player

jj 06-24-2017 01:12 AM

yes, TG - same nice quality... the first VHS dub versions of this were hard to fully enjoy.... a few years ago these high quality video files were finally available on an internet link (from a corfid thread, no?) and you could just download them and then burn a DVD

but with 'smart', large screen TVs, assuming a good streaming speed connection, why not just launch this and other video links and enjoy very decent sound and video quality... and retire the dvd player.... that said, I still have a VCR and original Wii setup:clap:

T.G. 07-01-2017 11:17 AM

Good point, J.J. ... I only recently discovered through a friend that you can stream to a TV with the requisite hookups and enjoy anything off the net. Cool!

Gunter 03-03-2018 12:54 AM

That's what you get for dropping in here only occasionally! Anyway, while reading Lightfoot by N Jennings, found this high quality Youtube video browsing Youtube, and just have done some checks on this: Despite initial appearances to the contrary, this is true stereo, that way it even surpasses the WIOQ-FM release on CD, which is in mono! Still worthwhile having the CD, since this video has some fluctuations in the sound. Considering to contact the uploader for an original copy of the video, since Youtube always compresses any uploads even further. I'm very happy to have found this high quality version, which is so much better than anything available before.

johnfowles 03-03-2018 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunter (Post 190985)
. Considering to contact the uploader for an original copy of the video

Gunter great to see a posting from you again. I was also intending to contact him, and I have left a suitable comment on his video display page but never got any response. However later I did find another potential contact link. I'll dig out the details then send you a Private Message about it, so hang on a bit please.

Rob1956 03-03-2018 08:26 PM

Anyone ever run across a recording of Gord on "Made In Chicago", the predecessor of "Soundstage", from around 1972?

Affair on Touhy Ave. 03-03-2018 10:04 PM

Maybe see if it exists on YouTube.

Gunter 03-04-2018 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnfowles (Post 190986)
Gunter great to see a posting from you again. I was also intending to contact him, and I have left a suitable comment on his video display page but never got any response. However later I did find another potential contact link. I'll dig out the details then send you a Private Message about it, so hang on a bit please.

Hi John, thank you, I chose the same approach with the same results so far, no response. If you manage to find these contact details, I'd appreciate it, but if the contact is in Canada, maybe your chances of a positive response would be better? All we'd need is the original digital files from the transfer from VHS, I'd be perfectly able to turn this into a working DVD, should there be a need for it.

johnfowles 03-11-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1956 (Post 190987)
Anyone ever run across a recording of Gord on "Made In Chicago", the predecessor of "Soundstage", from around 1972?

That depends upon exactly what you mean by "recording",Rob. This has been discussed here several times because there is definitely in circulation an audio only cds worth but it seems to be generally accepted that no actual video of this 1973 broadcast exists.if you google image search ""gordon lightfoot chicago 1973" you will see some jewel case artwork plus the very first result is a link to one old corfid thread

Andy T. 03-15-2018 02:11 PM

Thanks for this link. I'm listening now and it sounds awesome. Every time I hear that the stereo simulcast is sponsored by McDonalds, it makes me want to thank them by going out and ordering some McNuggets and Fries.