Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gordon in Northampton, MA last night (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=13761)

yaz8 10-21-2005 04:12 PM

It was nice to see a few reviews already and will add mine as I disagree with some of what was written, respectfully. Several people mentioned Gordon started out 'weak' or not in good form in some way- I think it was due to nerves affecting pitch. One of the things I like about him is this shyness, this awkward humaness. There is a real person there who reacts in way we all do. He was nervous and his pitch went up-in my opinion, that is all there is to that. By the time he got to "Harmony", which was moving as some of you mentioned he was calmed down and connected. Those of you in this group who sing will know how nerves and tension affect pitch. Enough there. One of the most interesting things to me was that Gordon came out in his SOCKS for the second part of the program-another nice human moment. Yes, he forgot a few lines on "Sundown" and we laughed along with him when that happened, but again-he sang 27 songs and forgot lines on ONE-big deal. For me the hightlights were his newer material, perhaps more fresh emotionally- I found "Clouds of Lonliness" particularly moving and "Restless" -I agree with Bonfirez that the crowd was the problem-I too had morons coming in late and missed part of listening to "Restless" because the people next to me came in late after the intermission and the huge row had to get up and let them in. Also, I would mention the rudeness-one woman yelled at the top of her voice "we can't hear you!" in a rude way that seemed to startle Lightfoot, NOT "we can't hear you Gordon" or" we can't hear you please" and DonQ mentioned the rude person who insisted Lightfoot resing "Sundown". Gordon was soft spoken-he always has been. I would not agree that the band "couldn't wait to get out"- I think that was also nerves and humility that he felt uncomfortable pausing too much for applause between songs.I did hear one man yell out "We love you Gordon" which was nice and we all laughed. He said he would "fake it" on the high notes of Canadian Railroad Trilogy, then hit everyone I could hear by singing blue notes around the note itself, which had an interesting sound. He said he would sing, "Rainy Day People" for us alluding to all the massive rainstorms we've had here lately and he wanted us to "think of us" (he and the bad) as they will be in NY when we all here on the east coast get the results of the latest hurricane.He mentioned such weather was a part of his writing "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"....to know Gordon Lightfoot was in a coma and nearly died between the last time I saw him and now, I feel grateful to have seen and heard him again and enjoyed the concert which is really such a fascinating journey through his brillant mind over decades-like all great writers.I hope he won't be too long away....
________
buy glass pipes

Lindab 10-21-2005 04:12 PM

It was nice to see a few reviews already and will add mine as I disagree with some of what was written, respectfully. Several people mentioned Gordon started out 'weak' or not in good form in some way- I think it was due to nerves affecting pitch. One of the things I like about him is this shyness, this awkward humaness. There is a real person there who reacts in way we all do. He was nervous and his pitch went up-in my opinion, that is all there is to that. By the time he got to "Harmony", which was moving as some of you mentioned he was calmed down and connected. Those of you in this group who sing will know how nerves and tension affect pitch. Enough there. One of the most interesting things to me was that Gordon came out in his SOCKS for the second part of the program-another nice human moment. Yes, he forgot a few lines on "Sundown" and we laughed along with him when that happened, but again-he sang 27 songs and forgot lines on ONE-big deal. For me the hightlights were his newer material, perhaps more fresh emotionally- I found "Clouds of Lonliness" particularly moving and "Restless" -I agree with Bonfirez that the crowd was the problem-I too had morons coming in late and missed part of listening to "Restless" because the people next to me came in late after the intermission and the huge row had to get up and let them in. Also, I would mention the rudeness-one woman yelled at the top of her voice "we can't hear you!" in a rude way that seemed to startle Lightfoot, NOT "we can't hear you Gordon" or" we can't hear you please" and DonQ mentioned the rude person who insisted Lightfoot resing "Sundown". Gordon was soft spoken-he always has been. I would not agree that the band "couldn't wait to get out"- I think that was also nerves and humility that he felt uncomfortable pausing too much for applause between songs.I did hear one man yell out "We love you Gordon" which was nice and we all laughed. He said he would "fake it" on the high notes of Canadian Railroad Trilogy, then hit everyone I could hear by singing blue notes around the note itself, which had an interesting sound. He said he would sing, "Rainy Day People" for us alluding to all the massive rainstorms we've had here lately and he wanted us to "think of us" (he and the bad) as they will be in NY when we all here on the east coast get the results of the latest hurricane.He mentioned such weather was a part of his writing "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"....to know Gordon Lightfoot was in a coma and nearly died between the last time I saw him and now, I feel grateful to have seen and heard him again and enjoyed the concert which is really such a fascinating journey through his brillant mind over decades-like all great writers.I hope he won't be too long away....

Molly 10-21-2005 05:21 PM

He came out in socks? How cool, maybe he "stubbed his toe". Isn't it great that he feels so at home with his fans? (What color were the socks).
Thanks for the review.

yaz8 10-21-2005 07:10 PM

Hi Molly-they were white!!
________
YBR 125

Lindab 10-21-2005 07:10 PM

Hi Molly-they were white!!

Sydney Steve 10-21-2005 08:01 PM

Done yerself proud Lindab. A great read ... ;)

LSH 10-21-2005 08:32 PM

That was a fantastic review. Especially loved the last paragraph. Well done!

Don Quixote 10-22-2005 11:32 AM

Good addition to what's already been said.

I'm glad you mentioned the socks; I noticed them when he came back on after intermission. I was so far back, I couldn't really tell; at first I thought he was in white sneakers, but saw that they looked too "form-fitting". Then I thought of those dreadful white boots from the Salute album, but the more I looked, the more they looked like socks. I guess "That's what socks are for!"

I agree with most of what you said; I think we can collegially agree to disagree about the first couple of songs and why he didn't quite have his "pipes" at first. I think if you listen to the Reno performance, you'll hear the same thing; for whatever reason, it takes him a song or two to get warmed up. Whether it's because of some nerves or because with age it just takes a little while to get the system up to full speed, we'd have to ask him.

As for the rudeness of the crowd, well...the more I go to public functions, whether they be movies, concerts, ball games, lectures, church services or even my own classes, I find human behavior more and more disturbing. People have a hard time just sitting down, shutting up, concentrating on what's going on, being polite and thinking about other people's enjoyment. And don't get me started on cell phones! There were a couple of younger women sitting a few rows back from me who, after the intermission, just wouldn't shut up until I stood up and gestured (no, not that gesture) for them to pipe down.
Oh, well, I think most of us had a great time anyway.

DQ

Sheryl 10-22-2005 01:25 PM

Great review, Lindab!! Thank you!!

thermodynamic me 10-22-2005 02:30 PM

With all due respect, Gord was wearing white suede shoes in the second set. We were in the fifth row. He was not only wearing socks. I can understand why it may have looked that way further back, but he was wearing shoes.

BuddyP 10-22-2005 02:30 PM

With all due respect, Gord was wearing white suede shoes in the second set. We were in the fifth row. He was not only wearing socks. I can understand why it may have looked that way further back, but he was wearing shoes.

Iron 10-22-2005 03:12 PM

Really nice review Lindab
Are You sure about the socks??I also noticed the white during the second half of the shows we attended this year,but he had some type of snug fitting footwear on of some kind.Someone mentioned that they were not "white",but they sure looked white to me.Not that it makes a bit of difference in any way,but it does "catch yer eye".This brings to mind a show we attended shortly before Gordon had that minor setback. We were in the front row,and when they came out for the second half,Gordon was sportin some kind of almost plastic or rubber lookin shoes.He gave me a sideways headshakin grin after I said "nice shoes"...Nice memory. Thanks again,Lindab

Sentimental 10-22-2005 04:01 PM

I thought he had on white boots in the second half of the Aurora concert too. I was far back and couldn't really tell.

Maybe they were white crocs. They are sure comfortable and they are rubbery plastic of sorts.

yaz8 10-22-2005 04:02 PM

Thanks everyone-I enjoyed the other reviews too-it was like we were at the same crime scene but all the witnesses saw something different...ha. I liked all the comments on his footwear from this and other concerts! He seems to like white footwear -something I never would have thought about before!...BuddyP-if you were up close the rest of us have to go with what you saw. Sure looked like white tube socks to me but thanks for setting us straight.
________
headshops

Lindab 10-22-2005 04:02 PM

Thanks everyone-I enjoyed the other reviews too-it was like we were at the same crime scene but all the witnesses saw something different...ha. I liked all the comments on his footwear from this and other concerts! He seems to like white footwear -something I never would have thought about before!...BuddyP-if you were up close the rest of us have to go with what you saw. Sure looked like white tube socks to me but thanks for setting us straight.

thermodynamic me 10-22-2005 06:36 PM

No problem Linda. The most important thing is we all had a great time. I only wish my wife and I were in Boston tonight. :(

BuddyP 10-22-2005 06:36 PM

No problem Linda. The most important thing is we all had a great time. I only wish my wife and I were in Boston tonight. :(

charlene 10-23-2005 08:38 AM

If they were the same footwear he had on at massey they are a creamy colour and quite snug. I was 6 feet from the stage and had a very good view...froma distance with spotlights they could be mistaken for white and even as socks probably...
Good grief - I can't imagine Gordon Lightfoot coming out in stocking feet...that's just not his style...
Anne Murray and K.D.Lang performed barefoot many times but Gord??? No footwear? No way!
;)

charlene 10-23-2005 08:38 AM

If they were the same footwear he had on at massey they are a creamy colour and quite snug. I was 6 feet from the stage and had a very good view...froma distance with spotlights they could be mistaken for white and even as socks probably...
Good grief - I can't imagine Gordon Lightfoot coming out in stocking feet...that's just not his style...
Anne Murray and K.D.Lang performed barefoot many times but Gord??? No footwear? No way!
;)

seafarer62 10-23-2005 09:23 AM

We were in the 2nd row at the August 13 show in Aurora. Those were white cowboy boots.. ala Pat Boone.

Cathy 10-23-2005 05:50 PM

That's a great review, Lindab, especially the mention of Gord being in a coma. It was actually a medically induced coma, just like the doctors did to me for the month of August. I spent September just sleeping the drugs off, and don't really remember much of that, either.
I'll tell you, if death is like being in a coma, we have nothing to worry about. It was just a lack of feeling and awareness, like I was in a very deep sleep. I do remember waking up once and I had a big mit on my left hand, like a boxing glove made of cloth, because I guess I'd been bad and tried to pull tubes out of my head and stomach. But the only part of the event I remember is hearing the nurse, Abebu (from a Caribbean Island, I think) tell me, "Your bad! Look at the blood I have to clean up! Bad, bad!" She put the mit on my hand so I couldn't get a hold of the tubes. Then she strapped my hands down to the bed! Really, it's probably a good thing that I don't remember most of it!

Cathy 10-24-2005 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Iron:
Really nice review Lindab
Are You sure about the socks??I also noticed the white during the second half of the shows we attended this year,but he had some type of snug fitting footwear on of some kind.Someone mentioned that they were not "white",but they sure looked white to me.Not that it makes a bit of difference in any way,but it does "catch yer eye".This brings to mind a show we attended shortly before Gordon had that minor setback. We were in the front row,and when they came out for the second half,Gordon was sportin some kind of almost plastic or rubber lookin shoes.He gave me a sideways headshakin grin after I said "nice shoes"...Nice memory. Thanks again,Lindab

I think I remember those shoes. Actually, they were like plastic sneakers. He had a silver pair and a black pair.

johnfowles 10-24-2005 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Don Quixote:

I'm glad you mentioned the socks; I noticed them when he came back on after intermission. I was so far back, I couldn't really tell; at first I thought he was in white sneakers, but saw that they looked too "form-fitting". Then I thought of those dreadful white boots from the Salute album, but the more I looked, the more they looked like socks. I guess "That's what socks are for!"
DQ

Yes well Susan and I were extremly fortunate to find ourselves in the front row for not only the Northampton and Portland concerts but "much to our surprise" row DD at Boston turned out unexpectedly to be also the front row and not the 5th row as we had deduced from the ambiguous and downright misleading Orpheum Theatre web site seating plan. Hence we were in a priveleged position "never too close" to Gord's footwear and can state quite unequivocably that on all three nights he was indeed wearing white leather boots. In fact at Portland he used his right white boot to disentangle himself fron his guitar amplifier wiring and muttered something suitable aboot how useful his boots were for tackling wires. He later very nearly came a cropper when trying to exit the stage when he almost slipped on the same wires.
Overall we were most impressed at the vocal etc standard of the three concerts and Susan will probably add her ten cents worth later
I can also vouchsafe that these white boots were slightly rounded square toed and therefore definitely not the dated "dreadful" pointed "winkle-pickers " featured in the photo on the back of the Salute album sleeve
John Fowles

[ October 24, 2005, 20:24: Message edited by: johnfowles ]

johnfowles 10-24-2005 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Don Quixote:

DQ

Yes well Susan and I were extremly fortunate to find ourselves in the front row for not only the Northampton and Portland concerts but "much to our surprise" row DD at Boston turned out unexpectedly to be also the front row and not the 5th row as we had deduced from the ambiguous and downright misleading Orpheum Theatre web site seating plan. Hence we were in a priveleged position "never too close" to Gord's footwear and can state quite unequivocably that on all three nights he was indeed wearing white leather boots. In fact at Portland he used his right white boot to disentangle himself fron his guitar amplifier wiring and muttered something suitable aboot how useful his boots were for tackling wires. He later very nearly came a cropper when trying to exit the stage when he almost slipped on the same wires.
Overall we were most impressed at the vocal etc standard of the three concerts and Susan will probably add her ten cents worth later
I can also vouchsafe that these white boots were slightly rounded square toed and therefore definitely not the dated "dreadful" pointed "winkle-pickers " featured in the photo on the back of the Salute album sleeve
John Fowles

[ October 24, 2005, 20:24: Message edited by: johnfowles ]

garycampbellvikings 10-25-2005 11:04 AM

Wow, only Gordonites would be so enthralled with a man's foot wear. Personally, I would rather be involved with helping him remove those boots if you know what I mean. klb