Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   favourite album? (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=13465)

Doug Mullins 09-03-2002 05:48 PM

since the favourite song thread has so many replies, let's start this one:

i'll go for one that not many people would mention - Summer Side of Life
i listen to thisd one the most. i love sadness it has and the sound of his voice on it

also DSR and back here on earth are close behind it for me

joveski 09-03-2002 05:48 PM

since the favourite song thread has so many replies, let's start this one:

i'll go for one that not many people would mention - Summer Side of Life
i listen to thisd one the most. i love sadness it has and the sound of his voice on it

also DSR and back here on earth are close behind it for me

james hill 09-03-2002 08:26 PM

the watchman hit the nail right on the head. right now i'm listening to "Shadows" a lot, because i just bought it. but i have to agree about "Summer Side of Life". it's a really wonderful record with a alot of variety. what strikes me most about "SSOL" is the musicianship on it. Gord used several session players on the various trax. 1 of my favourite moments is that instrumental break during "Nous Vivons Ensemble". it's a very untypical Lightfoot sound. almost jazzy. every cut on this album is 1st class. & hey, what about "Talking In Your Sleep"? there is IMO no acceptable reason for keeping this gem off of either of the 2 "Gord's Golds", or "Complete Greatest Hits".
anyway, that's enough ranting & rating for now.

james

Janice 09-03-2002 09:49 PM

I'll have to fall in with the rest that have posted so far. Summer Side Of Life has always been my favorite. But unlike most, I don't have to think twice about it and it never changes http://www.corfid.com/ubb/smile.gif

mtheeb 09-03-2002 11:12 PM

Sundown/Shadows. Impossible to select only one.

Restless 09-03-2002 11:12 PM

Sundown/Shadows. Impossible to select only one.

BILLW 09-04-2002 06:18 AM

1 vote for "Don Quixote"!! http://www.corfid.com/ubb/smile.gif

Dan O'Malley 09-04-2002 12:22 PM

Another vote for "Summerside of Life"! "Miguel" is possibly my favourite GL song. Also "Nous Vivons Ensemble" ia a beaut. This album certainly seems to have a sound unlike any other. I Think "Shadows" and "The Way I Feel" would tie for my second favourite.

Stew 09-05-2002 06:32 PM

It's a little like asking which one of your children you love best, so I have to bend the rules and list two.
1a - Don Quixote
1b - Shadows
On Summer Side of Life, I had to throw the CD in after reading the previous posts. An incredibly diverse group of songs. I have great sympathy for the gentleman who put Songbook together. How do you exclude anything off this album, though he had to. You could take 11 GL fans and each might have a different favorite track. I would think accomplished musicians would be nuts for this album, it is technically perfect.

joveski 09-05-2002 11:09 PM

it's amazing how many people have mentioned SSOL. i thought i was the only personal that considers it as a favourite GL album. i always thought that cotton jenny is the only "liked" song on that album by most people.
good to see others share my view. i'm actually listening to same old loverman at the moment!

Janice 09-06-2002 01:34 AM

quote:Originally posted by joveski:
it's amazing how many people have mentioned SSOL. i thought i was the only personal that considers it as a favourite GL album. i always thought that cotton jenny is the only "liked" song on that album by most people.
good to see others share my view. i'm actually listening to same old loverman at the moment!

SSOL does seem to be a popular one, doesn't it. Actually, Cotton Jenny is the song I like least on the album. That doesn't mean I out and out hate it, but I've been known to skip it occasionally http://www.corfid.com/ubb/smile.gif

mtheeb 09-06-2002 08:44 AM

The only track on SSOL that I do NOT skip is SSOL! Most of the others are kind of silly. Why does no one consider Sundown a top favorite? Too popular? Sometimes an album sells well for good reasons!

Restless 09-06-2002 08:44 AM

The only track on SSOL that I do NOT skip is SSOL! Most of the others are kind of silly. Why does no one consider Sundown a top favorite? Too popular? Sometimes an album sells well for good reasons!

james hill 09-06-2002 11:34 AM

Sundown is a great album, no doubt about it, but to say that most of SSOL is silly doesn't mahe any sense. Weird Al Yankovic is silly, Cheech & Chong are silly, but SSOL nor anything else by GL or Dylan or James Taylor, etc. should be dismissed as silly. SSOL is chock full of great tunes like "Miguel", "Love & Maple Syrup", & "Talking in Your Sleep".
By the way, Ed Mullen does a great version of "Same Old Loverman"!
Going back to Sundown, i love that album too. it contains several faves, most notably "Seven Island Suite" , one of Gord's truly wonderful songs.

james

mtheeb 09-06-2002 03:39 PM

Silly as in can't take seriously...the melodrama of Miguel and Talking, the French of Nous Vivons, the environmental concerns of Redwood Hill, or the lyrics of Love & Maple Syrup. I'm sorry, but I simply don't want to picture the intertwining of lonely lovers with maple syrup during the same song!

Restless 09-06-2002 03:39 PM

Silly as in can't take seriously...the melodrama of Miguel and Talking, the French of Nous Vivons, the environmental concerns of Redwood Hill, or the lyrics of Love & Maple Syrup. I'm sorry, but I simply don't want to picture the intertwining of lonely lovers with maple syrup during the same song!

mtheeb 09-07-2002 08:52 PM

Although I would trade my mother for the song "All I'm After," now that I've thoroughly listened to the Shadows CD I can make the tough decision and officially declare that Lightfoot's best album (most inspired and most inspiring) is Sundown. Seriously.

Restless 09-07-2002 08:52 PM

Although I would trade my mother for the song "All I'm After," now that I've thoroughly listened to the Shadows CD I can make the tough decision and officially declare that Lightfoot's best album (most inspired and most inspiring) is Sundown. Seriously.