Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Meredith Moon - Lightfoot - videos (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=26137)

charlene 02-29-2012 08:43 PM

Meredith Moon - Lightfoot - videos

A lovely, mournful rendition of EMR by Meredith Lightfoot.

Dan O'Malley 02-29-2012 09:03 PM

Re: EMR cover - Meredith Lightfoot

very nice vocal, i like it

Bill 02-29-2012 09:44 PM

Wow! A sweet pure voice, even if the performance level isn't there. Close your eyes and it's like listening to the great female folkies of her dad's era!
Curious...is this video reversed or is she really playing left handed?

RM 03-01-2012 02:14 AM

Chalk me up in the "like" column. Her sincerity points to a 'common ground' upon which to stand side-by-side with her father.

Cathy 03-01-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill (Post 177873)
Wow! A sweet pure voice, even if the performance level isn't there. Close your eyes and it's like listening to the great female folkies of her dad's era!
Curious...is this video reversed or is she really playing left handed?

Looks like she's playing left handed to me.

Cathy

JohninCt. 03-01-2012 11:27 AM

I think it was funny that it was listed as sung by Suger Magnolia on youtube. Incognito I guess. Yes, left handed to me too.

vlmagee 03-01-2012 12:27 PM

Looks like Miles gave up the D-18GL. Originally Gord gave it to him.

GJA 03-01-2012 09:52 PM

So sweet. I can't imagine when he wrote this he thought someday his little girl would cover it.

Auburn Annie 03-02-2012 01:51 PM

Ah, talent will out, the genes come through. I first came to GL through Judy Collins' version of EMR, so the circle is complete...

charlene 03-02-2012 01:58 PM

If Meredith is left handed (I believe she is) would any 'right handed' guitar of Gordon's be ok for her? Do you just string them differently?? (I know ZERO about that stuff)

fezo 03-02-2012 03:36 PM

A left handed guitar is backwards from a right handed guitar. In the old days they would charge extra for a left handed model.

Assuming the picture isn't backward Meridith is playing a left handed guitar because the high strings are to the bottom. Were she just flipping a right handed guitar, which some people do, the bass strings would be at the bottom.

Some noted people who play right handed guitars left handed and make my fingers hurt looking at them - Elizabeth Cotton, Jimi Hendrix, Bill Staines..... On the old Yesterday video Paul McCartney does it. He might have restrung the guitar. I haven't looked to see if he plays backwards or not - but the other three absolutely do or did. You can tell on the McCartney video because the pickguard is above the soundhole instead of below it.

When she gets a little better on the guitar and makes that voice work for her Meridith is gonna be sensational. Has all the right ingredients. The apple didn't fall too far from the tree.

Affair on Touhy Ave. 03-02-2012 09:09 PM

I think it's too slow and didn't put enough effort into it.

fezo 03-03-2012 03:10 AM

Harsh, man. She's clearly in the early stages of learning. Watch what a year does.

Affair on Touhy Ave. 03-03-2012 07:57 AM

WEll fez she use to have some other vids up of her, playing the ukelele so I thought she could of done better.

fezo 03-03-2012 01:05 PM

Hmmmmm... I'll have to check out the ukelele posts.....

Lisa J 03-03-2012 04:59 PM

aside from her sweet voice singing her daddy's song well, i was taken with how much she looked like her father when he was young. anyone else see this resemblence?

bjm7777 03-03-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa J (Post 177903)
aside from her sweet voice singing her daddy's song well, i was taken with how much she looked like her father when he was young. anyone else see this resemblence?

Yeah I was noticing how much she looked like her dad in his younger days.

As for playing a right-handed guitar left-handed, you can restring it but the bridge and saddle placement would be angled wrong. Jimmy Hendrix just flipped the thing over and played it that way. I am left-handed and play the guitar right handed, so go figure...

I thought she sounded great considering no real production was done.

fezo 03-03-2012 10:21 PM

You are, of course, correct on the bridge/saddle thing. I always thought the Yesterday video where McCartney is playing the upside down guitar is just a prop.

I have a 10 year old who is left handed. I've shown her some mandolin chords. I'll teach her to play right handed if she wants to learn. Too much trouble to hunt down left handed instruments and watching lefthanders play upside down guitars makes my fingers hurt!

Oh, yeah. She absolutely looks like her dad.

bjm7777 03-03-2012 10:49 PM

I have seen a couple of pictures of Paul McCartney playing his upside-down Epiphone Texan, and the bridge/saddle angle issue is quite noticeable, especially with that upside-down bridge that Gibson-made guitars use....

lighthead2toe 03-04-2012 09:44 AM

This is very sweet.

I agree with fezo when he says she has all the right ingredients.

Her Dad must feel quite proud, seeing his daughter follow in his footsteps.

No doubt we'll be hearing more from her down the road.

RJ.

Cathy 03-04-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fezo (Post 177891)
A left handed guitar is backwards from a right handed guitar. In the old days they would charge extra for a left handed model.

Assuming the picture isn't backward Meridith is playing a left handed guitar because the high strings are to the bottom. Were she just flipping a right handed guitar, which some people do, the bass strings would be at the bottom.

Some noted people who play right handed guitars left handed and make my fingers hurt looking at them - Elizabeth Cotton, Jimi Hendrix, Bill Staines..... On the old Yesterday video Paul McCartney does it. He might have restrung the guitar. I haven't looked to see if he plays backwards or not - but the other three absolutely do or did. You can tell on the McCartney video because the pickguard is above the soundhole instead of below it.

When she gets a little better on the guitar and makes that voice work for her Meridith is gonna be sensational. Has all the right ingredients. The apple didn't fall too far from the tree.

Elizabeth Cotton played a right handed guitar flipped to the other side. The strings were still right handed, meaning she played it with the bass strings on the bottom. She was amazing to watch!

Cathy

DellroyGM 03-04-2012 04:57 PM

Not only does the performance bring to mind a lot of early troubadors, but it also brings to mind Eric Clapton's redo of "Layla".
Any clue is she is considering singing "for real"?
I thought it was a nice performace, all things considered.

-DellroyGM
http://dellroygm.blogspot.com/

fezo 03-04-2012 09:00 PM

Yes. Elizabeth Cotton was one of the three I know that play like that, the other being Jimi Hendrix and Bill Staines. Makes my hand hurt watching them! A couple of decades ago I saw Bill up close and watching him pay was a very brain distorting experience.

Bill's memoir, The Tour, mentions learning to pay that way and how by the time he realized he was playing backwards it was too late to change.

Affair on Touhy Ave. 03-04-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fezo (Post 177930)
Yes. Elizabeth Cotton was one of the three I know that play like that, the other being Jimi Hendrix and Bill Staines. Makes my hand hurt watching them!

Aren't we being a bit dramatic here?

charlene 03-05-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Affair on Touhy Ave. (Post 177933)
Aren't we being a bit dramatic here?

I think it's called "making a point"..