banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-01-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
charlene

Default Interesting Obit

in today's Toronto Star:
love the Beatles reference..

KEARNEY, Norman Robert
NORMAN ROBERT KEARNEY It is with tremendous sadness that we announce the sudden passing of Norman Robert Kearney on July 28, 2008. He truly enriched the lives of many and it is simply impossible to put into words how much he will be missed by his family and friends. Norm was born in Liverpool, England on May 16, 1940. A true Evertonian and an avid footballer, he was also an accomplished guitarist and became a member of the Demons, a skiffle group that often played at the Cavern Club in Liverpool. On occasion the Demons even competed against a lesser group called the Silver Beatles who soon left for Hamburg and were never heard from again. In 1960 Norm married Alma, his wife of 48 years. They had two children, Sean and Leah, before the family decided to immigrate to Canada in 1973, a move that was in large part due to Norm's ambitious and adventurous spirit. Norm immediately fell in love with this country and its limitless beauty and opportunity. After settling in Canada, Jay soon became the youngest and most expensive member of the Kearney clan. Norm was highly accomplished in his career and worked for over thirty years for Ontario Hydro and Ontario Power Generation where he tackled increasingly challenging roles and managerial responsibilities. More recently, he worked with Bruce Power in Kincardine, Ontario on a project that he greatly enjoyed. He took tremendous pride in his work and was a much loved colleague. Norm also never tired of learning and education, and completed a degree in psychology in 1998. Those who were fortunate enough to know Norm were well aware of his passion for so much in life. He loved to travel the world with Alma and they toured throughout Australia, New Zealand and continental Europe in recent years. Norm was also a voracious reader with a particular interest in American and military history. He also played an active role over the years in the Mariposa Folk Festival and continued to delight friends whenever he picked up a guitar and sang one of his favourites. Above all else, Norm will be remembered for his great wit and sense of humour, his generosity and his unique talent for touching the lives of everybody he met along the way. Norm was a devoted husband, father and grandfather and was at his happiest with his family. The family that he created with Alma was his greatest achievement and a never ending source of pride. He was our biggest supporter and champion and instilled in all of us a belief that we could achieve anything that we set our minds to. He will be forever missed by his wife Alma, his children Sean, Leah and Jay and their spouses (Warren and Karen), his four grandchildren: Aidan, Rory, Bridget and Declan, and his sister and family back in England. A memorial service to celebrate Norm's life will take place at Deer Creek Golf Club, 2700 Audley Rd. N., Ajax from 2-4 p.m. on Thursday, August 7. In lieu of flowers, we would ask that donations be made in Norm's memory to Trent University, Greatest Need Bursry Trust, Development Office, 1600 West Bank Drive, Peterborough, ON K9J 7B8 (705-748-1601). A Book of Condolence may be signed at www.mceachnie-funeral.ca
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:38 AM   #2
RM

Default Re: Interesting Obit

That's a full and impressive life.

I figure when I go, "another one bites the dust" will suffice.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
timetraveler

Default Re: Interesting Obit

I must say that I was very impressed myself. As for when I go, I'd like the first tune that's played be Pink Floyds Learning To Fly from their Momentary Lapse Of Reason album, with the final one being, from the same album, On The Turning Away. All other music in between I'd like to be by Gordon & by ELO.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote