banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2003, 05:20 PM   #26
derbal

quote:Originally posted by gwen snyder:
Softly...don't you guys think?
GSS

I agree. I think softly shows his voice the best of any of his songs.
derbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 05:20 PM   #27
Some Mill In Wisconsin

quote:Originally posted by gwen snyder:
Softly...don't you guys think?
GSS

I agree. I think softly shows his voice the best of any of his songs.
Some Mill In Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 05:46 PM   #28
Borderstone

Actually,I think Gordon was the first person to record,"The F.T.E.I.Saw Your Face" which is simply called,"The First Time" on the Lightfoot! LP. I can't recall who wrote it just now but I'm almost sure that person gave it to Gord 1st. Thanks for your support T.Tide! It's not everyday I'm called a genius!! Just kiddzen! Catch ya on the flipside of Sundown!

------------------
Borderstone (Also known as,"The B!")
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 08:23 PM   #29
Iron

I think "Enunciation" is the word ..........ah 12345678...

Iron
Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 10:34 PM   #30
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by joveski:
it's weird that his voice was quite muffled in the 60s on a lot of the songs whereas by the 80s you could hear every syllable.[/B]

Maybe that has something to do with recording technology getting more advanced. If I remember right, all his recordings beginning with Dream Street Rose were recorded digitally. And microphones got much more sensitive right about then, too.
As far as diction goes, if you take voice lessons, one of the first things you will learn is to make sure you don't chop off the final consonant in the last syllable of a word.
But I've noticed the same thing, especially on APPT.

Cathy http://www.cathycowete.com

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 11:20 PM   #31
joveski

i've noticed that the very clear enunciation began on Sundown but didn't really get very noticable till Shadows.
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 03:45 AM   #32
thimpin

Iron, me old mucker. We must be using different dictionarys.enunciatev.t. Express definitely (proposition, theory); proclaim; pronounce (words).

pronunciation n. Mode in which a word is pronounced; a person's way of pronouncing words.

Oops, I am starting to sound like the
Watchman. (No bad thing)

PS. [i]mucker[i/], an English slang word for friend or companion.
thimpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 03:45 AM   #33
Dermot Ology

Iron, me old mucker. We must be using different dictionarys.enunciatev.t. Express definitely (proposition, theory); proclaim; pronounce (words).

pronunciation n. Mode in which a word is pronounced; a person's way of pronouncing words.

Oops, I am starting to sound like the
Watchman. (No bad thing)

PS. [i]mucker[i/], an English slang word for friend or companion.
Dermot Ology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 03:47 AM   #34
thimpin

Oh dear, try again. mucker I knew I could do it
Old 06-10-2003, 03:47 AM   #35
Dermot Ology

Oh dear, try again. mucker I knew I could do it
Old 06-10-2003, 05:49 AM   #36
Sundown17

Well, Dermot, according to my dictionary Iron is correct in saying enunciation...1.To pronounce; esp. with clarity; articulate. Pronounciation is 1. To utter. Makes for a confusing world when we can't even depend on dictionaries to agree.

Four years in college studying speech therapy taught me that enuciation means to speak clearly, give each letter in the word a voice.

Four years in high school choir, I was taught the same as Cathy. You don't chop off the end of a word. My choir director would make a spectacle of any one of us if he caught us "getting lazy", as he would call it, with the lyrics.

That is one of the things that stuck with me and one of the technical things that I admired about Gord.

Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 05:49 AM   #37
MotherofaMinersChild

Well, Dermot, according to my dictionary Iron is correct in saying enunciation...1.To pronounce; esp. with clarity; articulate. Pronounciation is 1. To utter. Makes for a confusing world when we can't even depend on dictionaries to agree.

Four years in college studying speech therapy taught me that enuciation means to speak clearly, give each letter in the word a voice.

Four years in high school choir, I was taught the same as Cathy. You don't chop off the end of a word. My choir director would make a spectacle of any one of us if he caught us "getting lazy", as he would call it, with the lyrics.

That is one of the things that stuck with me and one of the technical things that I admired about Gord.

MotherofaMinersChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 05:57 AM   #38
Sundown17

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MotherofaMinersChild:

But sadly, it appears that four years in college failed to teach me how to spell or proofread.

That should say "enunciation".

Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 05:57 AM   #39
MotherofaMinersChild

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MotherofaMinersChild:

But sadly, it appears that four years in college failed to teach me how to spell or proofread.

That should say "enunciation".

MotherofaMinersChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 11:55 AM   #40
thimpin

Thank you Mother......

I think Iron and myself are both using the right word in our replies ie, his (Gordon's)articulation and enunciation are immaculate. That is the point I was attempting to make.

You may like to know, that your name is my current Gordon song of the moment, I will perform it to any audience I can find.

Borderstone: Ewan McColl wrote "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" it is his best known song. He wrote it in 1962. For his wife, Peggy Seeger. Pete's sister. As Gordon's version was not released until 1966, I doubt if he was the first to record it. However the song came to international prominence when Clint Eastwood used Roberta Flack's version in his film 'Play Misty For Me' giving Roberta a world wide hit.

E&OE
Old 06-10-2003, 11:55 AM   #41
Dermot Ology

Thank you Mother......

I think Iron and myself are both using the right word in our replies ie, his (Gordon's)articulation and enunciation are immaculate. That is the point I was attempting to make.

You may like to know, that your name is my current Gordon song of the moment, I will perform it to any audience I can find.

Borderstone: Ewan McColl wrote "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" it is his best known song. He wrote it in 1962. For his wife, Peggy Seeger. Pete's sister. As Gordon's version was not released until 1966, I doubt if he was the first to record it. However the song came to international prominence when Clint Eastwood used Roberta Flack's version in his film 'Play Misty For Me' giving Roberta a world wide hit.

E&OE
Old 06-10-2003, 04:11 PM   #42
rainydayperson

Spanish Moss, The List
rainydayperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 04:11 PM   #43
classicmixdj

Spanish Moss, The List
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 08:45 PM   #44
Iron

MUCKER....I liked that Ye ol Mucker....and thank You Mother for Your inpuT. I've always been very impressed with Gordon's ..nunciation. To each his/her own and what ever trips yer trigger but I don't think it's over the top at all...I think those T's and D's are cinnamon on pumpink pie. ...Just got a couple more CD's,one of them is Old Dan's,think Mother is going to be another "stuck",put it on the lisT..

Iron...
Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:07 PM   #45
P (for Penelope)

The Last Time I Saw Her! Period.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:07 PM   #46
P (for Penelope)

The Last Time I Saw Her! Period.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:12 PM   #47
TheWatchman

I like the ununseeatshun that Lightfoot uses. He talks like that as well. It really brings out his Canadian accent.

My only dislike is how they mixed the Dream Street Rose album. I thought that his voice should have been much more prominent instead of the instruments being so loud. They drown out his voice at times. I would like to have a copy of Shadows and Dream Street Rose with no instruments and just Gordon singing. Those albums contain some of his best vocals, yet they are drowned out a little too much. Not on all of the songs, just some of them.

I know that Gord sometimes sings softly, but they could have still brought the instruments down at times in the studio. He has the best voice of all time.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 01:39 PM   #48
BrightSide

Seconded! I've said before that I didn't fully appreciate the caliber of artist Gord is for years because of the sheer aural beauty of his voice. I thought that with an instrument like that he must be an interpreter, like Linda Ronstadt or Tom Rush. I wasn't aware for years that he was a composer on the level of a Van Morrison (but more consistent in quality).

And mention of Morrison, with his bark of a voice, reminds me of another point. Dylan, too, usually sings with a voice that, back in the 60s, put one old folkie in mind of "a dog with his leg caught in barbed wire." But we *expect* that from them; we factor it in when we are listening--even appreciate and enjoy it. But what of Gord?

Can you think of any other singer who could *lose* that "sheer aural beauty" to such an extent as Gord has and keep (indeed, continue to add to, if this board is any indication) his audience? It's because his singing ability *today* (and, please God, tomorrow) is not dependent on the quality of the instrument; it draws on the skill in communicating (phrasing, etc.) he built up over the years. Plus, of course, the unparalled repertory he also built up over the years.
BrightSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 01:39 PM   #49
MaryEllen

Seconded! I've said before that I didn't fully appreciate the caliber of artist Gord is for years because of the sheer aural beauty of his voice. I thought that with an instrument like that he must be an interpreter, like Linda Ronstadt or Tom Rush. I wasn't aware for years that he was a composer on the level of a Van Morrison (but more consistent in quality).

And mention of Morrison, with his bark of a voice, reminds me of another point. Dylan, too, usually sings with a voice that, back in the 60s, put one old folkie in mind of "a dog with his leg caught in barbed wire." But we *expect* that from them; we factor it in when we are listening--even appreciate and enjoy it. But what of Gord?

Can you think of any other singer who could *lose* that "sheer aural beauty" to such an extent as Gord has and keep (indeed, continue to add to, if this board is any indication) his audience? It's because his singing ability *today* (and, please God, tomorrow) is not dependent on the quality of the instrument; it draws on the skill in communicating (phrasing, etc.) he built up over the years. Plus, of course, the unparalled repertory he also built up over the years.
MaryEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 02:00 PM   #50
TheWatchman

I think that Gord has such a good following today because of loyalty from his fans. His voice is at best only a snapshot of what it was in the 70's and early 80's, yet we still know exactly who it is when he sings the first words to a song. Still a good voice today, but when in his prime, he was the best of the best and will go down in history accordingly because of that voice.

Many can write great lyrics. Many can write great music. Many even have great voices. But very, very few can write their own music, lyrics and possess the ability to play that music so effortlessly on an instrument and still have the best voice in music to go along with it. That's probably why he is referred to as "the musician's musician" among his peers.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote