banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 10-19-2007, 10:03 PM   #26
Jesse Joe

Default Re: Is Neil Young's Harvest the best Cdn. album ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Number Four View Post
I wondered what "Tim Horton's" was... being from California, I had never heard of it. So I did a web search. I gather Tim Horton's is Canada's answer to Starbuck's (one of which we have on just about every street corner here !

Hi Kathy Number Four,

To answer your question, {YES} "Tim Horton Donuts" is like your Starbuck's...
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:08 PM   #27
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Tim Horton was a Toronto Maple Leaf hockey player and was traded to Buffalo. He was speeding in his sports car and crashed it in 1974. He and a partner had just started up a small coffee shop in Hamilton in 1964. His partner turned it into a huge company and several years ago it was bought by the burger chain in the U.S. called Wendy's. We have them up here too.
In the Mike Myers movie "Wayne's World" the coffee/donut shoppe was supposed to be named Tim Horton's but they wouldn't allow it so it was called something else. Mike loves his Leafs. He was at the game last saturday and given a Leaf jersey with "Love Guru" on the back and he tossed out the ceremonial 'first puck' at the start of the game.
Tim Horton/Leafs hockey/double double/roll up the rim..it's all good..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Hortons
Hi Char,

I did not know that about the movie, "Wayne's World." But I did get to see Mike at The ACC Saturday night, your right about Mike loving his Leafs. And we all love Mike Myers... A good canuck eh !

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 10-20-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:55 AM   #28
Kathy Number Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
Hey Kathy Number Four...how about sending us some 2 Buck Chucks and we'll send you some Tim Horton's coffee???
It's a deal !! What??? No Trader Joe's back there???

Last edited by Kathy Number Four; 10-20-2007 at 05:03 AM.
Kathy Number Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 05:01 AM   #29
Kathy Number Four

Quote:
In the Mike Myers movie "Wayne's World" the coffee/donut shoppe was supposed to be named Tim Horton's but they wouldn't allow it so it was called something else.
In the original "Wayne's World", the scene where they're out cruising at night in fictional downtown Dacron, Ohio (the "Grey Poupon" scene), was filmed in downtown Covina, CA (where I live). It was pretty exciting at the time !

Last edited by Kathy Number Four; 10-20-2007 at 05:04 AM.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #30
podunklander

Quote:
It's a deal !! What??? No Trader Joe's back there???
LOL I love Trader Joe's! I used to go to the one in Milford, CT...outside of New Haven (about 70 miles), but last year one opened up in West Hartford (30 miles). None of the Connecticut stores sell alcohol, so no 2 buck Chucks!

The closest TJ's that sells the wine is in Framingham, Mass...outside of Boston. I went there and bought a case a couple of years ago and gave bottles out with XMas presents (saving one for myself .

If you seriously would like a can of Tim Horton's, I'll send you a can no problem! Perhaps instead of a bottle of wine, in exchange you could send me a container of TJ's organic dark chocolate covered espresso beans (thanks to a small serving last Saturday, I had enough energy to spend 5 hours cleaning my basement )

Pam
Old 10-20-2007, 01:47 PM   #31
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Go Rockies!

Actually, I am a Yankees fan, because John and Doug are, but as long as I am stuck in Colorado, I may as well go with the flow. And, as a Yankees fan, I am an anti-Red Sox fan, although John is actually rooting for the Sox, so they can lose to the Rockies. Yeah, that sounds good.

Good thing Cathy isn't spending much time here. She is a Red Sox fan.

Oh, and "Kathy Number Four", I think Gord only had two, and they were "Cathy with a C", to quote Gord when he first met our Cathy Cowette.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 02:18 PM   #32
SilverHeels

Hey Val,
as a novice Yankee fan all I can say is ...
DIE BOSTON, DIE and Go, Rockies, Go!
)
Old 10-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #33
podunklander

WAHWAH...you will all soon be crying, just like Joe Torre hehe

GO SOX
Old 10-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #34
Kathy Number Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlmagee View Post
Oh, and "Kathy Number Four", I think Gord only had two, and they were "Cathy with a C", to quote Gord when he first met our Cathy Cowette.
I was just going by what Gordon told me personally: "I've been married to three Cathy's" (although I realize he was using the term "married" in the loosest possible sense). Could there have been another one since he met Cathy Cowette... or is he COUNTING her?? Either he lost count, or I'm gonna have to change my screen name ! Oh well, at least he always remembers my name whenever he sees me, and that makes me very happy !!!

Last edited by Kathy Number Four; 10-20-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:58 PM   #35
Kathy Number Four

Quote:
LOL I love Trader Joe's! I used to go to the one in Milford, CT...outside of New Haven (about 70 miles), but last year one opened up in West Hartford (30 miles). None of the Connecticut stores sell alcohol, so no 2 buck Chucks!

The closest TJ's that sells the wine is in Framingham, Mass...outside of Boston. I went there and bought a case a couple of years ago and gave bottles out with XMas presents (saving one for myself .

If you seriously would like a can of Tim Horton's, I'll send you a can no problem! Perhaps instead of a bottle of wine, in exchange you could send me a container of TJ's organic dark chocolate covered espresso beans (thanks to a small serving last Saturday, I had enough energy to spend 5 hours cleaning my basement )

Pam
That sounds like a deal to me!!! (Then I can find out if Tim Horton's is as good as Starbuck's or Peet's .) I LOVE those espresso beans too... once you start eating them, it's hard to stop, then you're awake for three days !! PM me with your address and I'll ship 'em right out. Wish I could send you some Two Buck Chuck too, except it would cost about TEN bucks in postage !!!)

Last edited by Kathy Number Four; 10-20-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:29 PM   #36
podunklander

Quote:
That sounds like a deal to me!!! (Then I can find out if Tim Horton's is as good as Starbuck's or Peet's .) I LOVE those espresso beans too... once you start eating them, it's hard to stop, then you're awake for three days !! PM me with your address and I'll ship 'em right out. Wish I could send you some Two Buck Chuck too, except it would cost about TEN bucks in postage !!!)

Got a can right here with your name on it And I best tell you lest I forget...it's fine grind so best with auto/drip. HOWEVER, last week we tried it with the stove-top perculator and were pleased with the results. If perked, of course expect to find a few grounds in the bottom of your cup. They pretty much stayed at the bottom of the cup, so that's kewl. Those **espresso beans, as you know hehe the grounds end up between your teeth

**I so rarely drink...MUCH prefer the beans and this time around, I'll try to make them last

Pam
Old 10-21-2007, 12:19 AM   #37
Kathy Number Four

Quote:
Got a can right here with your name on it And I best tell you lest I forget...it's fine grind so best with auto/drip.
Perfect!! I always grind my beans fine... it makes the coffee stronger, and the stronger the better in my book

Kathy

P.S. We sure have gotten WAAAAAAY off topic here from the originil subject of this thread, haven't we!!
Old 10-21-2007, 05:44 AM   #38
SilverHeels

Quote:
WAHWAH...you will all soon be crying, just like Joe Torre hehe

GO SOX
It was just a lucky break, a fluke!

(Val - where are you?!)
Old 10-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #39
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Funny thing, but as the game started John asked me who I was going to root for, and I said, "well, I suppose I'll root for the Red Sox". (Remember, the idea is for them to lose to the Rockies). About 30 seconds later, ... well, I don't have to tell you. I have a feeling that the Red Sox will win the ALCS, but we'll get our revenge in the World Series.

I also think the Yankees should sign Schilling. He's a free agent ... and with the money they aren't paying Torre, and won't be paying Arod (I'm pretty sure), they should be able to afford him. I suspect they will be a very different team in 2008.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #40
podunklander

Quote:
I was just going by what Gordon told me personally: "I've been married to three Cathy's" (although I realize he was using the term "married" in the loosest possible sense). Could there have been another one since he met Cathy Cowette... or is he COUNTING her?? Either he lost count, or I'm gonna have to change my screen name ! Oh well, at least he always remembers my name whenever he sees me, and that makes me very happy !!!

You're #1 Kathy...with a "K"!!!!
Old 10-21-2007, 01:28 PM   #41
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlmagee View Post
Funny thing, but as the game started John asked me who I was going to root for, and I said, "well, I suppose I'll root for the Red Sox". (Remember, the idea is for them to lose to the Rockies). About 30 seconds later, ... well, I don't have to tell you. I have a feeling that the Red Sox will win the ALCS, but we'll get our revenge in the World Series.

I also think the Yankees should sign Schilling. He's a free agent ... and with the money they aren't paying Torre, and won't be paying Arod (I'm pretty sure), they should be able to afford him. I suspect they will be a very different team in 2008.
Schilling would NEVAH sign with the Yankees...don't even think about it!

Very MUCH appreciate you rooting for the SOX ...thanks! This WILL make for a great WS. But I expect the the SOX WILL ROCK THE ROCKIES
Old 10-21-2007, 01:43 PM   #42
podunklander

Back to coffee for a minute here. As much as I love Timmy's....I'm feeling very guilty for partaking because it's not a product of organic, fair trade beans. We really need you Canucks to speak up on this and make it happen!!

It may mean that we'll all pay more, but it is well worth every $. Young children are still picking beans for low or no wages. Adults receive a pultry wage. Babies are being born with birth defects/deformaties because of the chemicals (pesticides) being used. Old and young workers have developed rashes on their arms in particular from picking beans.

Fair trade prices nice, but organic coffee is a must!

Sorry to be a downer, but Starbucks and other shops are slowly switching to fair trade/organic because of the response from the public. Hope all of you up there will follow suit!

Pam
Old 10-21-2007, 07:48 PM   #43
RM

Don't have the time....still in mourning over the Yankees demise.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:09 PM   #44
charlene

Tim's is now an American company. Tim's used to have fresh doughnuts/pastries etc. but since the takeover they have frozen dough and are smaller! I'm not sure if the shoppes have any "PC" beans or not. Us Canucks trying to change how an American firm does business...hmmm...we'll see how that works out..

They have done some environmental things (see below) and Tim's has always sponsored kids hockey teams. They also have several camps for kids across Canada and in all the communities there are shoppes they are very involved with school programmes, clean-ups of parks etc. These sorts of things were in place before the takeover but prhaps the new ownership will take up the "PC" coffee bean cause..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:12 AM   #45
podunklander

Quote:
Tim's is now an American company. Tim's used to have fresh doughnuts/pastries etc. but since the takeover they have frozen dough and are smaller! I'm not sure if the shoppes have any "PC" beans or not. Us Canucks trying to change how an American firm does business...hmmm...we'll see how that works out..

They have done some environmental things (see below) and Tim's has always sponsored kids hockey teams. They also have several camps for kids across Canada and in all the communities there are shoppes they are very involved with school programmes, clean-ups of parks etc. These sorts of things were in place before the takeover but prhaps the new ownership will take up the "PC" coffee bean cause..
The coffee is "processed" in Canada...not the US.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:33 AM   #46
SilverHeels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Don't have the time....still in mourning over the Yankees demise.
RM, we'll get 'em, next time. meanwhile, GO ROCKIES, GO!
Old 10-22-2007, 10:13 AM   #47
charlene

I don't know where it's processed but it's bought by the new owners and where they get it is not something I'm aware of.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:57 PM   #48
podunklander

Quote:
I don't know where it's processed but it's bought by the new owners and where they get it is not something I'm aware of.
As most of us consumers aren't, in regards to many more products for sure! Until a couple of years ago...I had no clue that coffee bean plants were sprayed with pesticides, etc. I was on a group tour at a local art museum, viewing a photo exhibit on child labor, and the director/curator discussed all these issues with us. He encouraged us to consider buying only fair trade, organic coffee.

The company that processes/packages Tim Horton's coffee (according to the label on the can) is: TDL Group Corp., Oakville, Ontario L6K 2Y1
Old 10-22-2007, 09:03 PM   #49
charlene

TDL is Tim Horton's Distribution Company. They are shippers/truckers/order takers in the warehouse that get the goods to the shoppes.

The coffee is 'blended and roasted' exclusively for the TDL group. Who it is that does the actual processing is a mystery..where the coffee is from originally is also a mystery..

from the Tim Hortons site:

Where does Tim Hortons get its coffee beans from?
Tim Hortons uses a premium blend of 100% Arabica beans from several of the world's renowned coffee-producing regions. Tim Hortons coffee is served within 20 minutes of brewing or it's not served at all. It's that quality and focus on "Always Fresh" that we think makes Tim Hortons coffee our customers' favorite.

Where can I get general information about coffee, the roasting process, etc.?
If you want to learn more about coffee and the coffee industry, a great resource is the Coffee Association of Canada's website at www.coffeeassoc.com . You can find out about the history of coffee, the roasting process, coffee terminology and more.

Do you sell Fair Trade coffee?
It is very important to Tim Hortons that, in all of our dealings, we live up to being a good corporate citizen. We use only credible suppliers and work closely with these suppliers to ensure that coffee growers are treated fairly. Our suppliers practice responsible purchasing methods, dealing in turn with only the most credible growers. They are very involved in teaching growers the best methods of coffee growing, and visit the growing farms on a regular basis to ensure that good farming practices, as well as good human rights practices, are being implemented at these farms. Our own coffee experts also travel to the growing farms to ensure that proper conditions exist for both the coffee and the workers.

While we certainly agree in principle with the aims and goals of Fair Trade coffee, our dilemma is that the growers who belong to the Fair Trade "Certified Co-ops" cannot supply either the volume or the quality of beans that our chain requires for our special blend.

In addition, unlike other "specialty" coffee retailers who sell several different blends of coffee at store level, Tim Hortons has only one blend. So while we do not currently offer a Fair Trade branded coffee, we do pay a premium price for our beans and make every effort to ensure that only the best buying practices are used.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:50 AM   #50
The Rez

My vote for Best Canadian Album is [tympani fanfare, please]

Stompin Tom Connors: Variations on the Stomp Board - C#m - Presto section

Re: Baseball . . . I'm holdin' out for Brooklyn

Duke Snyder
[Psalm 139:13]
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote