banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2005, 10:40 AM   #26
JohnBellardJr

quote:Originally posted by jj:
wow, i guess i'm not surprised but i can't be the only one who was surrounded by GL music and GL discussions growing up...to the point that it was taken for granted, didn't see him much or own much of his stuff, didn't really have to, must have been the same with Elton saturation in UK or Beach Boys in the US, no?

anyhow, i'll bet Kenyon and others (i realize many GL fans are not internet folks, or atleast not discussion board folks) who i believe grew up in the city, were smothered in Lightfoot (what a way to go, lol!)...the relatives, my folks and older bro (could constantly hear Gord coming 'through the cracks of his grammophone', lol) were either playing Gord, Anne Murray, the Guess Who or Don Messer music

the springtime always meant March break, Easter and GL at Massey...the internet, for one, made me aware that he did US tour dates, helped lots with messin' away at his chord progressions and exposed me to some great fan anecdotes, passion and wit...cheers

WOW! is the correct word! But, I say it for a different reason than you just did. I am
jealous. Really. You grew up in Toronto? At least Ontario. Eh? I mean, right? Oh-h-h-h,
I remember day dreaming of going to see him at Massey Hall. (Even memorized the streets downtown and all...just for when I ever got there....which I never have, yet.) But, we do have Leo Kottke. I know some of you know of and have heard him.

I guess we take so many things for granted when we grow up WITH them.

Oh and you mentioned the Beach Boys. Oh yes!!
They were the first group that my (future)
husband and I ever went to see together. (And we've been together ever since........
)

P.S. - Who is (was) Don Messer??? We had a landlord by that name, but am quite sure that he couldn't sing!!

------------------
'Rainy day people always seem to know when it's time to call; Rainy day people don't talk, they just listen, till they've heard it all.'- GL
JohnBellardJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:29 AM   #27
Station Master

Send a message via ICQ to Station Master

i don't think Don Messer could sing either, lol...so he fiddled around istead

i remember Charlie and Marg being the main singers, Catherine MacKinnon and other guests all having a good time, that's what TV seemed to be all about, music! unless my folks never let us watch the 'other' stuff like Perry Mason, lol
http://www.donmessersviolin.com/messer.html

btw, my one sis grew up in the heart of the city...she told me she went to her daughter's school one day and 'that Gordon Lightfoot guy' was there playing his guitar and singing for the kids (one of his kids went there also)...talk about taking things for granted, eh?!...she said 'not a big deal really, it's not like he moves around and entertains and all that'...she's lucky i still talk to her, lol

btw, i have another sis in Orillia, they all seem pretty proud up there ...she says it's slowly turning into the big city up there (there's TWO Blockbuster's in town now, lol)
Station Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:29 AM   #28
jj

i remember Charlie and Marg being the main singers, Catherine MacKinnon and other guests all having a good time, that's what TV seemed to be all about, music! unless my folks never let us watch the 'other' stuff like Perry Mason, lol

btw, my one sis grew up in the heart of the city...she told me she went to her daughter's school one day and 'that Gordon Lightfoot guy' was there playing his guitar and singing for the kids (one of his kids went there also)...talk about taking things for granted, eh?!...she said 'not a big deal really, it's not like he moves around and entertains and all that'...she's lucky i still talk to her, lol

btw, i have another sis in Orillia, they all seem pretty proud up there ...she says it's slowly turning into the big city up there (there's TWO Blockbuster's in town now, lol)
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:50 AM   #29
JohnBellardJr

Two Blockbuster's, eh? I hope that they stop there. Orillia always sounded SO magical
to me....like it should stay idyllic. But, guess no one can stand in the way if progress. Sigh...

You know, the Don Messer that we knew wouldn't have liked it if we'd said he was born in 1910. LOL Guess it was not the famous Don Messer.

------------------
'Rainy day people always seem to know when it's time to call; Rainy day people don't talk, they just listen, till they've heard it all.'- GL
Old 02-09-2005, 11:50 AM   #30
Aime_41

Two Blockbuster's, eh? I hope that they stop there. Orillia always sounded SO magical
to me....like it should stay idyllic. But, guess no one can stand in the way if progress. Sigh...

You know, the Don Messer that we knew wouldn't have liked it if we'd said he was born in 1910. LOL Guess it was not the famous Don Messer.

------------------
Aime_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:52 AM   #31
JohnBellardJr

JJ

Thanks for the link to Don Messer's site.
Have to check that out.

------------------
Old 02-09-2005, 11:52 AM   #32
Aime_41

JJ

Thanks for the link to Don Messer's site.
Have to check that out.

------------------
Old 02-09-2005, 03:13 PM   #33
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Before the internet I used to chisel granite tablets with messages and drop them in the ocean and wait for a reply. Sadly I never heard from anyone except The Watchman who at the time was working as an extra on the TV series Sea Hunt. Eventually I could walk out to the boat on the accumulated tablets, which was cool, but very lonely.
This is better.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 03:27 PM   #34
JohnBellardJr

quote:Originally posted by BILLW:
Before the internet I used to chisel granite tablets with messages and drop them in the ocean and wait for a reply. Sadly I never heard from anyone except The Watchman who at the time was working as an extra on the TV series Sea Hunt. Eventually I could walk out to the boat on the accumulated tablets, which was cool, but very lonely.
This is better.

Bill

Ah, very original idea!! You didn't try the note in a bottle routine, eh? We lived right on Lake Superior, why didn't I think of that??? Duh!!!! Oh well, this IS
better!!!!!!!

------------------
Old 02-09-2005, 03:27 PM   #35
Aime_41

quote:Originally posted by BILLW:
This is better.

Bill

Ah, very original idea!! You didn't try the note in a bottle routine, eh? We lived right on Lake Superior, why didn't I think of that??? Duh!!!! Oh well, this IS
better!!!!!!!

------------------
Old 02-09-2005, 05:55 PM   #36
charlene

Orillia ia a lovely town - very pretty, quiet - great summer spot on the lake and in winter it's beatiful. The whole area is a gorgeous part of Ontario and it's not far from Georgian Bay and Christian Island. There are some fabulous beaches along the shores of Georgian Bay.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:55 PM   #37
charlene

Orillia ia a lovely town - very pretty, quiet - great summer spot on the lake and in winter it's beatiful. The whole area is a gorgeous part of Ontario and it's not far from Georgian Bay and Christian Island. There are some fabulous beaches along the shores of Georgian Bay.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:30 PM   #38
talbot10

I pretty much figured I was the only GL fan in NY state prior to the internet. The concerts in NY city would sell out but all year long I could not find another lightfoot fan around town. On some level though, it was much more exciting without knowing about every song before the album came out. The anticipation was part of the excitement. Now the songs get critiqued even before they are officially out. I can remember that the album Ä Painter Passing through - was panned well before it came out and by people who are "fans". It pissed me off because I loved the CD when I got it. In any event there is a lot of good that comes out of the internet including this forum and the now almost defunct newsgroup. That said, the clamore to be the "ones" who are closest to Gord's heart has ruined some friendships and that is sad. In the end, the music is great but individially we likely don't mean jack shit to gordon Lightfoot or anyone in his inner circle. Not that we should. We are just fans
Bill Hall

------------------
..*you will always have your time to shine, even in the winter of your darkest hour*...jeremy enigk - http://www.cdbaby.com/billhall
talbot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:32 PM   #39
talbot10

I pretty much figured I was the only GL fan in NY state prior to the internet. The concerts in NY city would sell out but all year long I could not find another lightfoot fan around town. On some level though, it was much more exciting without knowing about every song before the album came out. The anticipation was part of the excitement. Now the songs get critiqued even before they are officially out. I can remember that the album Ä Painter Passing through - was panned well before it came out and by people who are "fans". It pissed me off because I loved the CD when I got it. In any event there is a lot of good that comes out of the internet including this forum and the now almost defunct newsgroup. That said, the clamore to be the "ones" who are closest to Gord's heart has ruined some friendships and that is sad. In the end, the music is great but individially we likely don't mean jack shit to Gordon Lightfoot or anyone in his inner circle on a personal basis. Not that we should. We are just fans. It would serve most folks here better to remember that and stay friends.
Bill Hall

------------------
..*you will always have your time to shine, even in the winter of your darkest hour*...jeremy enigk - http://www.cdbaby.com/billhall
Old 02-09-2005, 07:38 PM   #40
Borderstone

Hey Bill! Been reading those "B.C." comics again have you?? Didja invent the wheel yet so yiou can "ride,let it ride"?!

For those who said they got made fun of for listening to GL,I got made fun of no matter "what" I listened too!

Big schoolyard meanies! My older "heavy metal" brother too!

I don't care anymore what anyone says and people (a few) also say I havce good taste!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:01 PM   #41
talbot10

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Borderstone:
[B]Hey Bill! Been reading those "B.C." comics again have you??
HI Border!! Actually I was into Marvel comics. Spiderman and Ironman and those guys!
Old 02-09-2005, 08:41 PM   #42
JohnBellardJr

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
Hey Bill! Been reading those "B.C." comics again have you?? Didja invent the wheel yet so yiou can "ride,let it ride"?!

For those who said they got made fun of for listening to GL,I got made fun of no matter "what" I listened too!

I don't care anymore what anyone says and people (a few) also say I havce good taste!

Hey, we DO all have good taste!! Oh, and I have a "big" "heavy, HEAVY METAL" son.
(He's won the the "Metal War" at the Guitar War site (well now Musicians' War) for four consecutive weeks now, and seems to be ahead again this week. He just looks at me and pats me on the head and says, "It's OK mom....you just keep playing your songs."
It's OK, it's all in fun. He's one of the one's that we used to take to all of Gord's concerts.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Aime_41 (edited February 09, 2005).]
Old 02-09-2005, 08:41 PM   #43
Aime_41

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:

Hey, we DO all have good taste!! Oh, and I have a "big" "heavy, HEAVY METAL" son.
(He's won the the "Metal War" at the Guitar War site (well now Musicians' War) for four consecutive weeks now, and seems to be ahead again this week. He just looks at me and pats me on the head and says, "It's OK mom....you just keep playing your songs."
It's OK, it's all in fun. He's one of the one's that we used to take to all of Gord's concerts.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Aime_41 (edited February 09, 2005).]
Old 02-09-2005, 09:14 PM   #44
JohnBellardJr

quote:Originally posted by talbot10:
I pretty much figured I was the only GL fan in NY state prior to the internet. The concerts in NY city would sell out but all year long I could not find another lightfoot fan around town. On some level though, it was much more exciting without knowing about every song before the album came out. The anticipation was part of the excitement. Now the songs get critiqued even before they are officially out. I can remember that the album Ä Painter Passing through - was panned well before it came out and by people who are "fans". It pissed me off because I loved the CD when I got it. In any event there is a lot of good that comes out of the internet including this forum and the now almost defunct newsgroup. That said, the clamore to be the "ones" who are closest to Gord's heart has ruined some friendships and that is sad. In the end, the music is great but individially we likely don't mean jack shit to gordon Lightfoot or anyone in his inner circle. Not that we should. We are just fans
Bill Hall

Bill,

First, just have to say that you sound so much like Gord, that if I hear your music and don't remember who I am listening to, at times have thought that it was Gord....so has my husband. (Oh, and our "heavy metal"
son. , also.)

In respect to the fact that we indivdually
don't impact Gord's life a whole lot, is like you say, as it should be. We have lives and he has his. It's so difficult for celebrities in this age of mass media to have private lives. (And the word "fan"
derives from the word "fanatic". That doesn't sound too flattering when you really think about it.

Also, there are many thoughts, memories, experiences, and life lessons that I have learned from Gord, but some are so personal and precious that they are mine. I don't even share some of those. They are just a part of the fabric of my life, as I have listened to him for 34 years now, as has my husband. They are interwoven into our marriage of 39 years. It is a beautiful thing.

I only hope that Gord knows that he has, and IS a monumental gift to humanity, for THAT he certainly is.

Perhaps, some of this sounds contradictory, but there is a line between deeply appreciating someone, and trying to put oneself in that person's good graces, only for one's own pleasure, or sense of self-esteem.

Most of all I keep going back to a song that no one ususally mentions..."Stone Cold Sober", because there are a couple of lines in it that have come to be a theme for our marriage.
"I hope that we can see each other often,
That our points of view would blend into each
others,
Like the sea and the horizon.
And the sun will shine upon us,
As we live our lives together."
-GL

------------------
Old 02-09-2005, 09:14 PM   #45
Aime_41

quote:Originally posted by talbot10:
Bill Hall

Bill,

First, just have to say that you sound so much like Gord, that if I hear your music and don't remember who I am listening to, at times have thought that it was Gord....so has my husband. (Oh, and our "heavy metal"
son. , also.)

In respect to the fact that we indivdually
don't impact Gord's life a whole lot, is like you say, as it should be. We have lives and he has his. It's so difficult for celebrities in this age of mass media to have private lives. (And the word "fan"
derives from the word "fanatic". That doesn't sound too flattering when you really think about it.

Also, there are many thoughts, memories, experiences, and life lessons that I have learned from Gord, but some are so personal and precious that they are mine. I don't even share some of those. They are just a part of the fabric of my life, as I have listened to him for 34 years now, as has my husband. They are interwoven into our marriage of 39 years. It is a beautiful thing.

I only hope that Gord knows that he has, and IS a monumental gift to humanity, for THAT he certainly is.

Perhaps, some of this sounds contradictory, but there is a line between deeply appreciating someone, and trying to put oneself in that person's good graces, only for one's own pleasure, or sense of self-esteem.

Most of all I keep going back to a song that no one ususally mentions..."Stone Cold Sober", because there are a couple of lines in it that have come to be a theme for our marriage.
"I hope that we can see each other often,
That our points of view would blend into each
others,
Like the sea and the horizon.
And the sun will shine upon us,
As we live our lives together."
-GL

------------------
Old 02-09-2005, 09:18 PM   #46
JohnBellardJr

quote:Originally posted by charlene:

Charlene,

How lucky you are to be able to see and experience all of this. To some of us, Orillia, Georgian Bay and Christian Island
all sound just like places in some beautiful
fairytale. (Not places where everyday things take place)

------------------
Old 02-09-2005, 09:18 PM   #47
Aime_41

quote:Originally posted by charlene:

Charlene,

How lucky you are to be able to see and experience all of this. To some of us, Orillia, Georgian Bay and Christian Island
all sound just like places in some beautiful
fairytale. (Not places where everyday things take place)

------------------
Old 02-09-2005, 10:25 PM   #48
Sentimental

Aime, I think you are the jewel. You have such a way of expressing you thoughts about GL. You say so eloquently the same feelings I have about the man. I just always thought other people liked him, but selfishly thought I was one of the few that could simply get lost in his music. I really feel like he formed a lot of my sensitivities and emotions. That's giving him a lot of credit but what I mean is that I learned from him that your actions do have an emotional effect on others.

And now I find that not only do others share my same admiration for him but some of them even know him and have been to some of the places he sings about. Geesh, I can't handle that, I'm overwhelmed! And green with envy.
Sentimental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:04 PM   #49
JohnBellardJr

quote:Originally posted by Sentimental:
Aime, I think you are the jewel. You have such a way of expressing you thoughts about GL. You say so eloquently the same feelings I have about the man. I just always thought other people liked him, but selfishly thought I was one of the few that could simply get lost in his music. I really feel like he formed a lot of my sensitivities and emotions. That's giving him a lot of credit but what I mean is that I learned from him that your actions do have an emotional effect on others.

And now I find that not only do others share my same admiration for him but some of them even know him and have been to some of the places he sings about. Geesh, I can't handle that, I'm overwhelmed! And green with envy.

Sentimental,

Yes, and it seems like Gord has this uncanny sixth sense, that he could, from the very early days, capture all aspects of human emotion. It ran the gaumet from deep sadness and despair, to elation, and everything in between. He says SO magnificently, what we all feel, but most of us cannot express quite so eloquently. He is our voice and our hearts respond as one. It is SO wonderful to know that, in spite of all this, he is such a kind and humble man. He is one of us, but he is "special", and always will be.

------------------
Old 02-09-2005, 11:04 PM   #50
Aime_41

quote:Originally posted by Sentimental:

Sentimental,

Yes, and it seems like Gord has this uncanny sixth sense, that he could, from the very early days, capture all aspects of human emotion. It ran the gaumet from deep sadness and despair, to elation, and everything in between. He says SO magnificently, what we all feel, but most of us cannot express quite so eloquently. He is our voice and our hearts respond as one. It is SO wonderful to know that, in spite of all this, he is such a kind and humble man. He is one of us, but he is "special", and always will be.

------------------