banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
lighthead2toe

Default Rembering Red

Today is the sixth anniversary of the passing of Red Shea the former lead guitar player for Gordon Lightfoot.

Red made a significant contribution to the original sound of those great tunes in Gord's early years.

We miss you Red but you are living on with us through the great work we are now privileged to see and hear when we watch those wonderful BBC videos.

Extended condolences to Red's family.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:42 PM   #2
Calgary Dave

Default Re: Rembering Red

It's nice to see he's still remembered. My dad misses Red every day but talks to the family regularly. I chatted recently with his son, Scott. I'll repost my post from the original thread...

Another anniversary bump. As I mentioned in my first post, Red and his family were/are very close to mine. I thought everyone might like to hear that Red's son Scott is carrying on his Dad's talent and legacy.

Scott has just released a CD on Soundcloud. Produced by Gordie Johnson (Big Sugar) and Willie Nelson's sister on keyboard: https://soundcloud.com/scottshea

This one song brought me to tears, as it's written about Red and Scott's daughter: https://soundcloud.com/scottshea/sco...when-she-prays

Scott's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/scottsheasongs
Calgary Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #3
charlene

remembering.. (see Hugh's Room 2016 for video/report including Scott)
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:26 AM   #4
lighthead2toe

Nine years today since we lost Red.

He's still with us though with that unmistakably indelible contribution he created with Gordon Lightfoot during the early years.

In the booklet that accompanies the three disc collection "The Original Lightfoot" Red is referred to as "an integral part of the Gordon Lightfoot sound."

So today I will be teaming up with Red's friend and student, Paul Bartlett to "The Gayety Theatre" in Collingwood, Ontario to take in a concert featuring "Classic Lightfoot Live" a very fine sounding Gordon Lightfoot band which includes two of Red's students, John Stinson on vocal, six and twelve string guitars, Eric Kidd on lead guitar and Gord's nephew, Steve Eyers on bass. Our very good friend, the multi talented Jimmy Jones plays keyboard in the band.

What better way to to get into things more happy than blue eh?
Old 06-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #5
jj

thx Ron - I think Red would have enjoyed that - I enjoyed seeing you guys and had a lot of big laughs - what a historic vibe in that 1911 building, including down in the green rooms - rewarding to collaborate for a fundraiser, which seemed to be a sellout - lovely town on Georgian Bay - debuting the full 5 piece was cool - sending wishes for good health to you both, and let's do it again - jj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trio Jun11 2017.jpg (374.8 KB, 875 views)
File Type: jpg collingwood.jpg (923.4 KB, 861 views)

Last edited by jj; 06-12-2017 at 09:16 AM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #6
lighthead2toe

Thank you so much JJ. It was great seeing you and family and connecting with the great Lightfoot folks in Collingwood.

Yes, it was high on the list of some of the best concerts I have attended and I felt very honoured to be of assistance during the soundcheck.

Unbeknownst to me when we arrived was the fact that a drummer was on his way to be part of the show and what a total surprise that was. As the set up progressed it became clear he was into Gord's music so he captured those sensitive "Barry Keane" percussion sounds with precision.

The good vibes from that gig are still with me and bouncing. The Gayety Theatre reminded me of a smaller version of Massey Hall. Very comforting older structure nestled in a quaint little North Ontario town.

It sure turned out to be an experience much happier than blue for sure. Red Shea was smiling down on us that night.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:30 PM   #7
jj

Ron, you guys really took the sound to another level with your input - that was a newly upgraded sound system

https://youtu.be/houyJgrDOXg
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:41 PM   #8
lighthead2toe

Today is the twelfth year of Red's passing. It seems like it was only yesterday though as the memory of Red and all his accomplishments live on for the many of us who are still listening to those well structured lead guitar licks he delivered in Gord's tunes. Time for a moment of reflection for Red and his family.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:20 PM   #9
lighthead2toe

My apologies for this post regarding Red being in the "Small Talk" section. Can't seem to ever get it right with computers.
I'm just too old to hear new chimes I guess.
There's no such thing as "small talk" when it comes to Red Shea. His mark was very big.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:59 PM   #10
charlene

Left us on this day (Jun. 10) in 2008: highly-respected Canadian guitarist Red Shea (pancreatic cancer, age 70), most closely associated with singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot; remembered for his superb picking style, Red was often credited for giving Lightfoot his unique sound over the 10 years they worked together (1965-75); he was originally part of the house band on 'Music Hop', Canada's answer to 'American Bandstand'; Red left Gordon's touring band in 1970 but continued to record with him until 1975, playing on most of the singer-songwriter's early hits; Red later hosted his own Canadian variety show & played with Ian Tyson, before serving as band leader for Tommy Hunter's CBC-TV show in the '80s
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:42 AM   #11
lighthead2toe

A very special memento from Red that I will always treasure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scan 24.pdf (20.6 KB, 687 views)