banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 12-31-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
charlene

Default Shania to run with Olympic torch in hometown

http://www.cmt.com/news/news-in-brie...key-game.jhtml

around 7 p.m. New Year's Day.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/torch/follow-torch/index.html

The torch was here in my town last week and is making it's way acorss the country back to Vancouver for the Olympics..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Jesse Joe

Default Re: Shania to run with Olympic torch in hometown

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.co...article/906722

No beefed-up security for Shania's torch run: officials

Published Friday January 1st, 2010

TIMMINS, Ont. - Olympic officials say they won't be boosting security when Canadian country music superstar Shania Twain carries the torch today in her hometown of Timmins, Ont.

Twain's run with the flame will come four days after a torchbearer in Guelph, Ont., fell to the ground in a confrontation between protesters and security personnel.

"The security levels we have now are appropriate. There's no pre-plans to beef up security, but that might change on a moment's notice, based on crowd size or crowd behaviour," said Bert Paquet, spokesman for the Vancouver 2010 Integrated Security Unit.

"We have that ability to increase that level pretty much instantly."
Torchbearer Courtney Hansen had just turned a corner with the torch in Guelph on Monday morning when she became entangled in the protest and fell.

The flame skidded against the ground but stayed lit. Guelph police have charged a 19-year-old woman with assault.

It's expected that Twain, a multiple Grammy-winner whose 1997 release "Come on Over" remains the best-selling country music album of all time, will carry the torch during a two-hour celebration in Timmins on New Year's Day.

There have been no reports in Timmins media of any expected protests. Paquet said security officials "don't want to take away" the uniqueness of the torch run -- both for Twain's fans and the singer herself -- by having undue levels of security.

The security unit is working closely with local police, Paquet said, and if any "intelligence" shows there could be a problem then they'll act quickly.

"Our job is to protect the torchbearer and the flame. And we will do that."
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
Sydney Steve

As a symbol of the purity of the Olympic spirit I think Shania should have ran naked when carrying the flame.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Steve View Post
As a symbol of the purity of the Olympic spirit I think Shania should have ran naked when carrying the flame.
Good point. That certainly would have diminished the threat of protesters.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
joveski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Steve View Post
hear hear!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
charlene

sorry - way too cold!!
http://www.canada.com/news/Superstar...520/story.html

wonderful picture at link...

Day 64 Torchbearer 76 Shania Twain lights the cauldron in Timmins, Ontario, January 1, 2010.Photograph by: Handout , VANOC TIMMINS, Ont. —

Canadian country music superstar Shania Twain returned to her hometown Saturday night to carry the Olympic torch.

An enthusiastic crowd estimated at 1,000 people bundled up to greet Twain as she entered Hollinger Park in Timmins and then lit the community cauldron. Twain was the final runner on Day 64 of the torch’s 106-day-cross-Canada relay on a frosty northern Ontario day where the temperature was estimated at -35 C with the wind chill.

It was so cold, local media reported, that a giant TV screen placed behind the portable stage simply failed to function.

But a clearly delighted Twain was unfazed.

“It just feels really beautiful to be back up north in the cold," she said. "It wouldn’t be Timmins . . . you know, forty below with the wind-chill!

“I think this is so fantastic," she told the master of ceremonies. "What it shows is the spirit of the people from the north to be standing out there on the road for all these hours in the freezing cold; all of you, it really does show your spirit. I am glad to be home. I am glad to a part of this."

Earlier in the day, the relay passed through Kirkland Lake, Ont., where it was greeted by a children’s choir and native drummers. The day before, the torch visited Temagami, Ont., New Liskeard, Ont., and Rouyn-Noranda, Que., and Val d’Or, Que.

Saturday, the relay continues through northern Ontario with stops that include Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie.

The torch’s trek began Oct. 30 in Victoria. The flame has since passed through northern Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. It has also made stops in the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut, as well as Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and Quebec.

The torch will make an appearance in 1,000 communities before Feb. 12, when it reaches its final destination of the 2010 Olympic Games in Vancouver.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
charlene

more at youtube.
apparently her son, her ex and his g.f. (who was married to shania's new b.f.) were there along with her b.f.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
charlene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4_mE...eature=related
more at youtube.
apparently her son, her ex and his g.f. (who was married to shania's new b.f.) were there along with her b.f.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
timetraveler

What I don't get is why on earth did the runner get attacked by the protester?
Old 01-03-2010, 07:46 AM   #10
Jesse Joe

Well TT I dont get it myself... but in this crazy world we live in, there is always someone out there that will protest something.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote