banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2002, 05:06 PM   #1
dalyot

Gord has released 23 albums since 1962. in that time he has been with 3 record labels: United Artists, Reprise & Warner Bros. i've chosen 1 from each of these labels. from UA, i pick "did she mention my name". great songs on this one, such as "the last time i saw her", one of his greatest & most under-rated ballads. i saw him do this one live at massey hall, here in toronto back in the '80's & it was every bit as good as the original. all in all the album is more pop than folk, but there is some country elements on it as well.
"cold on the shoulder" is my choice for favourite reprise LP. it's an album dense with emotions. don't listen to "fine as fine can be" or "bells of the evening" if yer feeling blue. these songs won't go anywhere towards cheering you up, but they're wonderful songs nevertheless. other standout tracks are "the soul is the rock", the pretty "a tree too weak to stand", & "now and then", another study in love as only Lightfoot can construct.
finally, i get to "endless wire", which i've chosen as my favourite Warner Bros. release. back in the pre-compact disc dats, i went thru 3 copies of this one on vinyl! i could probably sing this whole album in my sleep! i love it. "circle is small", "dreamland", "hangdog...", & "sometimes i don't mind" are some of the standouts on this wonderful album.
that's all from me for now. Hope to see what other folks choose as their fave Gord LP.
ciao for now,
james hill
dalyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 05:06 PM   #2
james hill

Gord has released 23 albums since 1962. in that time he has been with 3 record labels: United Artists, Reprise & Warner Bros. i've chosen 1 from each of these labels. from UA, i pick "did she mention my name". great songs on this one, such as "the last time i saw her", one of his greatest & most under-rated ballads. i saw him do this one live at massey hall, here in toronto back in the '80's & it was every bit as good as the original. all in all the album is more pop than folk, but there is some country elements on it as well.
"cold on the shoulder" is my choice for favourite reprise LP. it's an album dense with emotions. don't listen to "fine as fine can be" or "bells of the evening" if yer feeling blue. these songs won't go anywhere towards cheering you up, but they're wonderful songs nevertheless. other standout tracks are "the soul is the rock", the pretty "a tree too weak to stand", & "now and then", another study in love as only Lightfoot can construct.
finally, i get to "endless wire", which i've chosen as my favourite Warner Bros. release. back in the pre-compact disc dats, i went thru 3 copies of this one on vinyl! i could probably sing this whole album in my sleep! i love it. "circle is small", "dreamland", "hangdog...", & "sometimes i don't mind" are some of the standouts on this wonderful album.
that's all from me for now. Hope to see what other folks choose as their fave Gord LP.
ciao for now,
james hill
james hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 05:11 PM   #3
char

James,
I am from Toronto as well! I never looked at who the record companies that put out Lightfoot albums were until a couple of years ago when I heard the names Reprise/Warners etc. mentioned. I know those names but to me a Lightfoot album was a Lightfoot album and I was happy as a clam to have a new one!
lol
Ignorance is bliss i suppose!
I'll have to look at my albums and see which ones are on certain labels etc. because I have no idea at the moment!
Char
char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 02:33 AM   #4
joveski

this changes from week to week but at the moment it's summer side of life. the sadness that it brings out for some reason.

last week it was dream street rose for some reason
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 05:51 AM   #5
SilverHeels

for me its usually DON QUIXOTE followed
by SUNDOWN ... but the others are close
behind!
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 08:11 AM   #6
Bill

Don Quixote is my consistent favorite, but I also really like the grouping on Lightfoot!, Did She Mention My Name, and Summertime Dream (my first GL album). But there are many gems on Endless Wire, and other albums that do get overlooked in favor of "greatest hits".
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 10:57 AM   #7
seahawk11

SHADOWS, SHADOWS, AND MORE SHADOWS!!!
The songwriting, and total 'groove' of this recording are absolutely out of this world. I cannot wait for the Final Four...
seahawk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 03:18 PM   #8
socialvandal

Absolutely - SHADOWS!

socialvandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 10:50 PM   #9
Brian 57

Summertime Dream, followed closely by the rest of his albums in no particular order.
Brian 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 12:36 PM   #10
james hill

Hi girls,

I didn't realize my topic would suck like this. I guess the main thing is the songs, not any particular album. The great thing about Gord's concerts is his set lists. Back in '93, I saw him at Massey for the nth time, & stands out as one of the best GL concerts ever! Why? Because at that show he performed the entire "Waiting For You" album, which is rare, because artists of his ilk tend to concentrate on the hits & maybe 4 or 5 trax off their latest album. Part of being a Gord fan is being surprised by the inclusion of "On Susan's Floor", or "Fine as fine..." in his shows.
I'm starting to ramble, but you get the idea.
Talk to you later,
James Hill
james hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 11:19 PM   #11
Bahama Star

DON QUIXOTE !!!

This is the greatest Album ever created, not only by Gord but by anyone !!.

It has eleven tracks, six of which are "classics",( Don Quixote, Christain Island, Alberta Bound, Ode to Big Blue, Second Cup of Coffee and of course Beautiful ), one a very underated Classic,( Brave Mountaineers )

and the remainder are just A grade fantastic ( Looking at the Rain, On Susan's Floor, The Patriots Dream, and Ordinary Man )

Have a great week,

Keep Smiling

Ron
Bahama Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 11:19 PM   #12
catmanron

DON QUIXOTE !!!

This is the greatest Album ever created, not only by Gord but by anyone !!.

It has eleven tracks, six of which are "classics",( Don Quixote, Christain Island, Alberta Bound, Ode to Big Blue, Second Cup of Coffee and of course Beautiful ), one a very underated Classic,( Brave Mountaineers )

and the remainder are just A grade fantastic ( Looking at the Rain, On Susan's Floor, The Patriots Dream, and Ordinary Man )

Have a great week,

Keep Smiling

Ron
catmanron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 01:13 AM   #13
Brenda

"Did She Mention My Name" from the UA catalogue, and "Shadows" from the Warner/Reprise years. I think you'll find that our favorite albums have as much to do with how our lives were going at the time we first heard them, as much as the music itself.

------------------
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 01:13 AM   #14
Westernstar9

"Did She Mention My Name" from the UA catalogue, and "Shadows" from the Warner/Reprise years. I think you'll find that our favorite albums have as much to do with how our lives were going at the time we first heard them, as much as the music itself.

------------------
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 07:28 PM   #15
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

catmanron & westernstar9,

You're both right! Westernstar9 about the influence!!!!!

And catmanron for his vote for and review of the best ever.....DON QUIXOTE

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 08:11 PM   #16
mtheeb

I'm sincerely surprised that Don Quixote ranks so high, so often, when the topic of favorite comes up. The one stand-out track is Beautiful, and even the vocals and production on that track seem far better than the others. Is it possible for someone to explain WHY they like Quixote so much? Probably not. It may simply come down to a matter of musical or melodic taste, or a person's age, or whatever else. Anyway, Sundown and Shadows are my two favorites (consistently great lyrics, melodies, production...and just plain cool tunes).
mtheeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 08:11 PM   #17
Restless

I'm sincerely surprised that Don Quixote ranks so high, so often, when the topic of favorite comes up. The one stand-out track is Beautiful, and even the vocals and production on that track seem far better than the others. Is it possible for someone to explain WHY they like Quixote so much? Probably not. It may simply come down to a matter of musical or melodic taste, or a person's age, or whatever else. Anyway, Sundown and Shadows are my two favorites (consistently great lyrics, melodies, production...and just plain cool tunes).
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 10:05 PM   #18
Rebecca

I'm partial to Summertime Dream, Old Dan's Records, and Waiting for You, mostly in that order.
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 03:08 PM   #19
Anna Lightfoot

I have to say "Summerside of life" it was my second album after IYCRMM I could not believe gord could improve on that album, If it had not been any good i dont think i would have been hooked on lighfoot. The man put out so many diamonds between 1970-75.

------------------
" Stay Loose "
Anna Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 03:08 PM   #20
The Gypsy

I have to say "Summerside of life" it was my second album after IYCRMM I could not believe gord could improve on that album, If it had not been any good i dont think i would have been hooked on lighfoot. The man put out so many diamonds between 1970-75.

------------------
" Stay Loose "
The Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 10:39 PM   #21
Bahama Star

Why do I like DQ ?, interesting question Restless. I have given this a lot of thought, I think Westernstar is right, its got a lot to do with what you are doing with your life when you first hear the Album.

Many of the songs on DQ relate to travelling, being away from home, and the family, friends and activities back home you are missing.

Many Lightfoot fans are in their late 40's early 50's, in 1972 lots of these people would have been at University, same may have been on an all expences paid "holiday" in South East Asia, but what ever they relate to these songs. " Born in the Country and I like the Country ways".

I hope this explains my vote..

Have a great weekend everyone,

Keep Smiling.. Ron
Bahama Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 10:39 PM   #22
catmanron

Why do I like DQ ?, interesting question Restless. I have given this a lot of thought, I think Westernstar is right, its got a lot to do with what you are doing with your life when you first hear the Album.

Many of the songs on DQ relate to travelling, being away from home, and the family, friends and activities back home you are missing.

Many Lightfoot fans are in their late 40's early 50's, in 1972 lots of these people would have been at University, same may have been on an all expences paid "holiday" in South East Asia, but what ever they relate to these songs. " Born in the Country and I like the Country ways".

I hope this explains my vote..

Have a great weekend everyone,

Keep Smiling.. Ron
Old 05-18-2002, 06:10 PM   #23
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

About my vote for DQ, catmanron put it so nicely I think I'll just say "read the posting above" it's just about right.

Bill
(thanks catmanron )
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 05:42 AM   #24
SilverHeels

And the photo on the sleeve is VERY
appealing ....
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 06:17 PM   #25
catmanron

Yes it is SH,

But most of us grew much better beards ( except the girls... well, now that I think of it, maybe not..lol ), right Bill.

Keep Smiling Ron