banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #51
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy
Default Re: Terry Clements Guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezo View Post
OM size guitars are wonderful. They are basically a 000 with a slightly different neck length if I have that right. I have one that a friend and bandmate of mine who is also a part time luthier made. Wonderful sound.

Glad to see this topic back at the top. guitar talk is always fun.... Besides, someone will spot what I said about OMs and 000s and know exactly the difference and educate me...
And, the neck of an OM is usually a bit wider than an 000, better suited to finger picking. I have an OM28V. It's a beautiful guitar. I still prefer the old D15, though.

Cathy
Old 03-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #52
alex

Dear JohninCT.,

I am aware of only a partial lineage of Edward McGlincy's Instruments.
If you will imagine a tree, one branch starts at an initial owner. The start of the branch of which I am most aware: Bob Dylan bought one, he showed his to Gordon Lighfoot, he ordered one, who showed his to Terry Clements, who ordered one, who showed his to me. I placed my order a few days later, after I had played Terry's, and after he had given me an introduction to Ed. This is where this particular "branch" ends. The second branch, begins with Johnny Cash. I do not know if this branch continued, in a similar way to the Dylan-Lightfoot-Clements-yours truly, chain. I am given to believe there are four more McGlincys in other hands. I have been trying to determine the dispoition of Johnny Cash's McGlincy. I am pursuing the matter and I may learn of its' status, one day.

As a serious collectors of stringed instruments, I have come to learn an owner is merely a custodian. We, as custodians, do our utmost to protect beautiful instruments and we can only hope they will find their way into worthy hands, upon our eventual demise. (We trust the next custodian will give the instrument, the respect it deserves, commensurate with its quality.)

I have been continually trading, buying and selling guitars, since the late 1960's. My first ax was a Martin D12-35. I learned to play on it. It was a terrible instrument to hear and an ogre, to play, let alone learn chords on. In my young mind, it was a Martin, until I had gained a little wisdom. Three years later, I had saved enough to buy a Gibson 12-string...This soon eveolved into a series of acquisitions (both "B's" and "J's", in various saddle configuartions. I still retain one: most playable, indeed.). I will continue to trade, buy and sell. This McGlincy is included in the practise. One day, I will probably part with it, given it is becoming more difficult for me to play, with the advancing years.

I am always receptive to serious offers.

After all this waxing philisophical: I do not know if any of the original owners have sold theirs.

Cheers,

Alex
alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #53
alex

I have received two very interesting links from Johann Lowenberg.

The first takes you to CBC Radio 3.

Before his passing, Terry produced some great music, featuring Terry, Red and Rick, on Johann's upcoming album. Lightfoot Folks, do CHECK this link out!:

http://radio3.cbc.ca/#/bands/Johann-Lowenberg

You will hear demos, but it probably won't take long to master them for release.
The music is wonderful!!! It is a great treat. Thank you Johann.

The second is about possible lineage links of the McGlincy guitar:

I quote his Johann's correspondence:

"Hi Alex

This article shows that Dylan and Cash were good friends, so it could very well be possible one showed the other his McGlincy, depending on which was built first

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...ght-0217-2011/

johann"

My response:

"Johann,

Thank you. It was fascinating article. It certainly made me think about the possible connection between Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan.

It is possible one showed the other his McGlincy and the other was sufficiently impressed to have one made for himself. The "branch" may go Dylan, Cash, Lightfoot, Clements, myself or, possibly Cash, Dylan, Lightfoot, Clements, me.

Perhaps someone who knows Mr. Dylan could shed some light on the matter and clarify the lineage?..."

I would now add:...or, someone who knew Johnny Cash?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #54
charlene

Gordon could ask Kristofferson to check the Cash story..

geeze - Rodney Crowell was just here in town last week..he may have seen it around the house back when he was married to Roseanne...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #55
alex

I just received an update from Johann. The link for the McGlincy Article is not working.

Try this one: http://goo.gl/XfjqC

I've tried it. It works!

Thanks, Johann.

Charlene, you have a sage suggestion.

Good lead: Next time I see Gord, I'll ask him if he knows. If he doesn't, I'll ask him to ask Kris Kristofferson.

Alex
Old 03-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #56
alex

Make that the Cash-Dylan connection article...
Old 05-16-2015, 04:38 AM   #57
alex

I am still listening to Terry's outstanding licks, to this day, from time to time. Let us never forget this accomplished talent!
Old 05-16-2015, 04:43 AM   #58
alex

Terry was the best! Listen from Don Quixote, onward...You will not fail to be amazed!