banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-11-2009, 11:55 PM   #976
geodeticman.5

Default Re: GL Lyrics fan(atics) fun quizzers and more !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Just a note before you relocate.....when you mentioned that the clues were from some of Lightfoot's most well-known songs, I thought it would be a piece of cake. But I found it surprisingly challenging. I guess it was the comma......
Yes, I was worried about that I noted in the beginning - I believe I said with the 'NEW LIST OF 10 SPECIAL ADDITION' that this was experimental, - and I figured it would either be the easist thus far - 2 errors of mine notwithstanding, or the hardest - esopecially when I mis-spel heart as heat.... all things considered - this was actually among the faster sets we've had. The fastest have been like pyrhanna at feeding time - 3-4 hours flat. This was one in large part was about- at most - 2 partial days the way I read 'em. I appreciate the thoughtful input Ron. I hope you have no flats in the near future, (AND jj NO OFF RAMP ELECTRIC ALL OUT W/O FLASHERS, NO BERM - HE MUST HAVE BEEN BALANCED PRECARIOUSLY ON THE CONCRETE DELIMETER, WAITING TO JUMP ON DEMAND ..LOL.. )

I sympathize with both of you. Did you see the 'split-rim' story above ?
That'd be my funniest car-related story of mine.

Funniest story of mine in general, in the midst of otherwise dire straits - as jj said when he was on the exit ramp no lights at dusk, this is on the slim light-side of the Mountaineering accident. No therapeutic release in this post for me, just an actual funny moment in the middle of the maelstrom.

There I was , as I have told some allready the whole survival story, but not just this funnier moments in this scene, ....so there I was, hanging upside down, impaled on the Krummholts Tree's iron-like branch spiking upwards. The spike was strong enough to hold MY WEIGHT AND PACK - lignum vitae-like wood. I was a sight on what locals call the 'Methusela Trees' - completely denuded by wind (the tree lol ) and arctic weather at that elevation. At timberline, having just fallen though a perennial snowfield, through a relatively rare, deceptive on top of - combination of bowl-cirque & 'frozen cresting wave' snow overhang; not a true glacier that moves, carrying rocks. Those are typically on 30 -60 degree slopes,(except at melting toe of the snow, can be near horizontal).

But this was a beyond-vertical overhang that looked (only beneath aaargh) like a wave cresting just over, and frozen in position, beautiful actually and blue most commonly - but this was a disintegrating snow construct - just my luck..lol . Actually, it was deceptive powder on top- near flat, with no indication of the absent structure underneath the curling-over mixed degenerating layers of snow and candle ice. On my VERY unlikely little trip all the way through the snow when my crampon caught on one 'shoe and I 'stubbed' and fell through the unanticipated snow characteristics, with far too much powder to hold that temporal shape, were it not for the mix with that felt like powder,corn snow (skiers worst 'road rash is from this), powder again, and interspersed with almost candle ice, and more powder, with a thin frozen 'glasse' underbelly of that beast is what it fet like as I plunged as dead-weight upside down through the layers. The candle ice layer(s) I felt as I fell through - loosing my highly refractive prism'ed powerful prescription 'glacier glasses'.

Thankfully I had a backup pair of clear prescription glasses in my pack, and a pair of vented ski-goggles - no help upside-down, hanging (I had to laugh at myself, and more in a moment, as my crowd of Verizon network people stood by like the commercial on cell phone infrastructure. Funny thing was - it really worked out in the middle of, or on top of - nowhere ! Anyway, the candle ice was more indigenous to weakening ice on a river, and the whole nature of the plunge all the way through the snow field crest was a very rare occurence of layered snow characteristics, deep into disintegration.

So... there I was, looking and feeling like and idiot, oblivious to the rather acute situation on what was holding me upside-down, from shock. I was hanging upside down stuck ON/BY the tree as it were, bemoaning AND laughing at my circumstances, feeling no pain from shock (yet), and it occurred to me, as hung there, with (I hesitate to express it this way, forgive me, but its part and parcel of the story) with blood running ankle to head upside-down, and I felt an odd warmth before I realized it was blood. It oddly did not concern me, but I pragmatically calculated the time of the team to get to me, versus getting out on my own. More of that to come, with what would make a GREAT cell-phone commercial !

IN no panic whatsoever, as one of shock's characteristics can go, versus screaming in fear and pain -( I was 5 miles out through rough alpine terrain and c 6 ft. of snow on the mild slopes. In an abnormal calm, I thought to myself..."I wonder...since they put up a cell-tower in Estes Park (roughly 6 miles away from the tower by line of site through a saddle in Storm Pass,) I wondered if I could call out on my cell-phone, at least get a tone ? I also had a licensed VHF radio too, used primarily in my work ...out there...danged if it had only been workmans comp on a work day ! lol, but I did not even think of it in altered state) So I get my Motorola (I swear by them - they raised the bar in the industry some years back with 6-sigma plus reliability and DOA after purchase) get my Motorola out, and think to myself "not a chance"....rang my folks number on the edge of RM NAt'l Park - my trailhead I registered over across the valley from the Park Service Long's Peak Station - the registration mandatory for anything considered a climb, or in 4th class terrain or higher..er...I was) My folks' house - my 'trailhead' thankfully was at 10k ft. !

Damned if I didn't get a tone on the Motorola ! I laughed to myself (as jj said for life's little or big slaps in the face).....rang their number....no response - no doubt both were indisposed, or since they were on a party line at the time, their unique ring would often evade them audibly lol.... so I hung up. And instead of ringing another number to tell the Park Service of my circumstances and plan - they would have correctly argued with me - likely to no avail in my shock state... - normally - I'd of none better to stay put and wait - especially wth contact made - and my ability to calc coordinates from the topo - from my line of work. 15 years earlier I'd been on the park's search and rescue team. All that experience was for naught in shock - with, in my ...state...utter obliviousness.

I ignored that, 'cause I estimated their 'turn-out time plus time to where I was, and I hate the helicopter bit - ...because I was too embarrassed duhhhh stupid stupid, so casually I blew that idea off, knowing it would take a team 4 hours to assemble and get suited up. Chopper back to base was not a given at any time, as was commony the case, and up to me, and find me....and I thought how stupid I'd look, hanging upside down in a denuded wind-shaven gnarly-old methusala tree...branches like iron spikes... and I casually though (shock) knew, I'll bleed to death before they got to me.... I knew I'd twist all the my leg inside out by pushing on a hand-stand upside down with my treking poles and snow baskets, took me several minutes to gain purchase on something.....

And then did what at 229 pounds - 35 overweight, plus a 38 or so pound day and a half pack,I'd never be able to do other wise - I did an adrenaline and shock-fueled handstand on my trekking poles, and pushed my self off of the impalement (noting with mild shock curiosity that my leg looked inside out....thats odd, I thought,) then whipped a tourniquet (femoral artery tourniquets in the leg are...very uhm....noisy to put on..and crank...) had it on, and righted myself in the deep power, hard actually on crampon'd snowshoes, and walked out on a course I should not have been able to plot, on my USGS topo, calc'd the declined magnetic bearing by inversing polar-to-rectangular coordinates, then vice versa with correction for some extranneous factors, and walked on out.

Passed out three times on the way, got home, still in shock, and hollered up stairs to mom and dad "Hi guys, I'm home, gonna shower OK ?" (ok) - and in the dumbest shock -induced moment of the whole thing, tightened down the tourniquet, and took a shower, cause I wanted to be clean and presentable when I bled on the E/R room floor down to town.... thats it. WHAT AN IDIOT ! IDIOTE ! Thats my dumbest funny-to-me (at the time) case of what life can slap you in the face with, as jj put it ! duuuuuuuoyyyyy. The rest is to graphic... but thats the funny part... .

Well Ron, the better part (or worse) of my response had little to do with your response, but jj's laughing at what life can slap you in the face with is what made pop out.... I appreciate the humour in that......

Yea Ron so my next set will be a safe N 40 old-regular set, until I get my axles greased and light a shuck for anothet set of 'Special Addition' clues !

Onward McDuff !

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 02-12-2009 at 09:13 AM.
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:00 AM   #977
geodeticman.5

BACK TO BIZ - I'LL HAVE A REGULAR LIST OF TEN IN AWHILE THIS EVENING !
Old 02-12-2009, 07:16 AM   #978
charlene

Q360 - ...curls
song - Second Cup of Coffee
lyric - Thinking of girls with their fingers in my curls
Too young to understand how love begins

Q364 Anytime...
song - I'll Prove My Love For You
lyric - Anytime our paths don't cross
And the losing dice are tossed
Anytime you know what's best
Anytime I can't care less
I'll make it up to you
In everything I say and in all I do
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:07 AM   #979
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Q360 - ...curls
song - Second Cup of Coffee
lyric - Thinking of girls with their fingers in my curls
Too young to understand how love begins

Q364 Anytime...
song - I'll Prove My Love For You
lyric - Anytime our paths don't cross
And the losing dice are tossed
Anytime you know what's best
Anytime I can't care less
I'll make it up to you
In everything I say and in all I do
Hi Char,

We are having a cold snap up in the foothills here that is not showing down in Denver for the 'National Weather Look ' - The Mountains and elevation change are never really covered - it can be +20 F in Denver, and -35 F on top of Long's Peak etc. Are you guys having any arctic blaster over your way ? My windows weather widgets show it peaked, or valley'd lol in and around the Arctic circle - about 4 days ago - 30 F here & there, in Tuktoyaktuk, Nuv. etc., and now its up to -18 f there - the Ice road Truckers N'Ly most 'frozen ocean drive'. And then it moved south. Curious, as it seems to have hit here coldest yesterday - tuesday actually, now that its early thurs., and now is rising back up, which by my amateur est. might have it out your way maybe 2 -3 days ago - a cold snap then maybe ?

OK 'tseeer
Q360 .... curls = 'Second Cup of Coffee' ? - it sure does - You got it ! I'll post it in the X-Files. I love that DQ album.... that , and ODR, Sundown, and COTS after, and IYCRMM before, there was just something EXTRA special about his music in every aspect. But I find myself growing more and more hooked on Harmony CD ! - There are several real gems that rival that period. You figure ?

OK next 'tseeer:
Q364 Anytime.... = intended song or ambig, Yep! valid ambig with 'I'll Prove My Love For You' - FYI Intended song was 7Island S. ! You got a perfectly good song though. Congrats.

Thanks for playing Char.

I hope all the work in the new forum 'sections' ( is that the term ? ) creating stratified threads and populating them with performers and videos, and music, radio, TV etc has to be a HUGE choor. No rest for the weary and devoted ! These guys in here - well U 2 - keep me hopping enough in here, but I like it, I surely do.
Later.....

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 02-12-2009 at 08:10 AM. Reason: 2 words transposed need headlights adjusted lol
Old 02-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #980
Jenney

Q362 Hear ...

Hear the mighty engines roar

Early Morning Rain.
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #981
4LaneStudios

Q359 .... notions
Whisper My Name
"Travel with me if you choose, into a land of notions"

lol I'd better be right on that one, and the one below -- two of my favourite vistories.

Q361 .... is right, ....
Affair On 8th Avenue
"What is wrong, what is right, when to live or to die"

Last edited by 4LaneStudios; 02-12-2009 at 06:50 PM.
4LaneStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #982
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenney View Post
Q362 Hear ...

Hear the mighty engines roar

Early Morning Rain.
Hi Jenney, How are you ? As usual, you're right on the money. You know, after keying in that last prase - "on the money" ever since I read a website on the origin of otherwise common phrases, its fascinating ! I could read it for days....just a little Diet Pepsi Lime and bagels - and I'm good lol. I suspect you were holding back last set - the 'comma,ten' list. Probably just tappin your six-shooter... - lettin the other quikdraw's nail 'em ? I know you'd never admit 'cept in fun...

So - Q362 Hear .... = EMR - Yup !

Nice fastdraw - your barrel's smokin.... lol I'll post your Ace.
Jackrabbit Jenney was her name, Faster 'n Lightnin' was her game......
Old 02-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #983
charlene

Q358 - ...shove
Song- Clouds of Loneliness
lyric - You knew someone, but was it love?
So many years, push came to shove.
You had a dream, so they had one, too.
You turned away, they were untrue.
In our early days we were too willing...
At the time we had yet to arrive...
Many a man and a woman found,
Trying to stay alive.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #984
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LaneStudios View Post
Q359 .... notions
Whisper My Name
"Travel with me if you choose, into a land of notions"

lol I'd better be right on that one, and the one below -- two of my favourite vistories.

Q361 .... is right, ....
Affair On 8th Avenue
"What is wrong, what is right, when to live or to die"
Lynn - you have an uncanny ability , when I realized later looking at submissions, to get my intended song virtually every time. You spoke earlier if I was 'Reading you mind' - I think you're readin mine !

Q359 .... notions = 'Whisper My Name'?
Yup - that one couldn't have been to hard for ya - seeing your signature !lol

next Q361 .... is right, .... = Affair On 8th Avenue yooppers
yiminny Lynn - you did both of those vistories ?

- Beautiful work - those 2 vistories. I 'spect you're familiar with em ..lol - One insider question to the outside - when you guys put those pictures together, that fit the song so well, - where do you get them ? Nature one's would be rife on the internet, but a silhouette of a woman standing in a late afternoon oblique light 'movie golden hour' window, with pearls and a set of, say those fancy silver woman's hair brush etc on the , the armoire ? no thats clothes - what DO you women call those make-up desks ? Vanities ? - Anyway - where do you/how do you get images like that - do you stage 'em with models, etc. ? Cost would skyrocket in that mode.

My grandmother had a beautiful combination wall unit - Armoire, er.. make-up desk, and I think a bureau. I allways wanted to get Merry one of those wall units - good quality hardwood were well over $2,000, and my brother snagged and tagged Grandma's too early upon her passing -in poor taste, and broke the agreement of picking circles of interestingly - only the women - sat in a circle - and one by one picked estate items. Tradition ? My wife came out of the circle session, swearing she'd never sit in one again - she cried missing my grandma, while the others were literally tearing WWII Kimonos out of each other's hands ! Sad....

Merry took my only 2 requests - a trunk in the basement locked and I only had a sentimental feel for it - I remember'd looking at it, locked, as a kid - thinking it had a treasure trove in it ! Well that I wanted for the memory, and the mystery, and just one more thing - the contents of my grandfather's center desk drawer. If you women EVER want to know about what makes a man tic, and his real likes/dislikes, LOOK IN HIS CENTER DESK DRAWER,I'd loooked - as a kid, and then the 'Estate dissipation proceedings' - for me, that drawer - old wire rim glasses - a Professional Engineer's stamp, a few gentlemen's pocket knives, numerous 'bright and shiney metal things - as my mother and Merry both called 'em - they knew I loved those shiney metal things for gifts, the pocket knives, shirt pocket antique slide rules, circular beamn's arc flight calculator's, and OLD FOLDED MAPS !etc in that drawer that always fascinated me as a kid - I wanted ony the trunk - and the contents of that drawer - less important papers, etc.

I found the idea of the session to initiall be fair, with people of good character going into it, sad, but fair, but otherwise nice aunts and cousins, sister's in law etc - man o man - some turned vicious and would take double turns, lie, etc. nabbing materialistic value for some, seemed to override sentimentality - w/o an eye for dollar value - that went out the window except for Merry and my mother,the others turned into a conflagration ! Ask me sometime about what turned out to be an amazing trunk I found in the basement I gott - appeared of no value except sentimental, don't know why, what was inside would start a 'treasure map and obelisque' - tween's movie !

BTW - you're forum language studies are progressing real nice...lol.. but you must specialize - picture posting expert lingo, song abbrev's - that transcends all branches,uhm, geo places, lol - at some point you'll need to specialize - or go polyphonic, which I suspect would be a breeze for you.

I'll post both of your wins ! - sorry to ramble - memories flood sometimes when you hear a certain word or see a certain image...
Old 02-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #985
geodeticman.5

HERE ARE THE CURRENT TEN CLUES, UPDATED @ 5:35 am. Mtn. Std.,Fri.,Feb. 13th,- uh-oh 2009 !

A regular list. You all know the drill. Hope you like these, and that they are fun.

JUST THREE TO GO !

All songs are in the 'main 20 albums'

================================================

Q356 .... shipwrecked .... - REMAINS UNANSWERED

Q357 .... of rainbow .... - REMAINS UNANSWERED

Q358 .... shove - X Char gets it with 'Clouds of Loneliness'

Q359 .... notions - X Lynn gets it with 'Whisper My Name'

Q360 .... curls - X Char gets it with 'Second Cup of Coffee'

Q361 .... is right, .... - X Lynn gets it with 'Affair On 8th Avenue'

Q362 Hear .... - X Jenney gets it with 'EMR' - A Valid Ambig from intended 'Ringneck Loon'

Q363 A glad .... - X Ron gets it with 'If it Should Please You'

Q364 Anytime .... - X Char gets it with 'I'll Prove My Love For You' - A Valid Ambig From Intended song 'Seven Island Suite''

Q365 .... tooth .... - REMAINS UNANSWERED

================================================== ========

All songs written by: Gordon Lightfoot .

7 DOWN, 3 TO GO AS OF 5:35 am, Mtn. Std. Time, Fri., Feb 13th,'09 - Uh-OH

HAVE FUN !

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 02-13-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #986
Patti

Nice reading about those memories of yours, Steve. It made me remember some similar. I remember wire-rimmed glasses in an old desk drawer. I wore them a few times. They could have been my Great-Grandfathers. There were also some pocket-watches, and just a lot of cool things a kid likes looking at. I remember seeing 'treasure trunks', unlocked. One had old Christmas cards, one had ropes. We did use a rope before to tie a saucer onto the back of a snowmobile. Don't know what became of the things that were in the house. When my oldest son was one year old, my Dad told me he could have a fiddle that had either belonged to his Dad or Granddad,... anyway, when my Dad passed away, my sister took it and I think it disappeared. ... I mean, I think she sold it because I don't think she has it anymore.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #987
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
Nice reading about those memories of yours, Steve. It made me remember some similar. I remember wire-rimmed glasses in an old desk drawer. I wore them a few times. They could have been my Great-Grandfathers. There were also some pocket-watches, and just a lot of cool things a kid likes looking at. I remember seeing 'treasure trunks', unlocked. One had old Christmas cards, one had ropes. We did use a rope before to tie a saucer onto the back of a snowmobile. Don't know what became of the things that were in the house. When my oldest son was one year old, my Dad told me he could have a fiddle that had either belonged to his Dad or Granddad,... anyway, when my Dad passed away, my sister took it and I think it disappeared.
Thank you Patti, for the thoughtful - in more than one way- response. While this thread is intended to be essentially game play on lyrics, I personally enjoy when I hear anecdotal and familial stores, etc from the players. It adds a very nice human touch, because I came very close to automating virtually every part of it, and stopped, not only when my 'excessively colorful' format grew very hard to read *guilty* lol.... , but when it was so close to simply invoking it, feeding it the game player's input, and letting it spit out the response, it started to no longer feel as 'human' as I' enjoy it being - So I changed it to meet many criteria, but maybe most importantly - it made it ffel more human again ! Everyone knows I write comically-long-winded yarns , anecdores, memories, too often to excess !

Sometimes, if I pour out a heartfelt memory, or something hard to write about (pleae notice the Mountaineering story of mine above) in order to tun it into a humorous touch here and there, it does great help to me, and I try to make it compelling and interesting to read, without any fabrication or stretching the truth at all, it in turn becomes special when a thoughtful reply like yours and others comes in.

I'm sorry to hear of the passing of you father. I enjoyed reading the similarities you found in that drawer - made me remember the two pocket watches of my grandfather's in that drawer too!. I never met him, as when he passed, he was 1,500 miles away, and only 56. I was only about 6 months old. I'd never have remembered anyway if he did. Thus making that definative drawer of his so fascinating to me - my Dad's , Dad wow ! I could see from the content where many of my father's endearing proclivities cam from , too !
Holding a handful of 'pocket items every day at work' of my Grandfather's, it was also almost like meeting him.

Certainly the drawer does not define the man, but the contents from my experience, DO tell a definative PART of a man's interests, or how he fed his family, or what he enjoyed as hobbies, but most often, I find the things we spoke of, pocket knives, pocket watches, occassional road maps, business cards by the dozens - which tend to be things a man would put on the bureau-top mini 'valet' box where he'd put his wallet, main watch, pocket change, a few business cards, glases etc., but when that little 6" x 12" "valet" over-flowed, the overflow went in his desk drawer top center.

This is only from my experience looking when allowed to, family drawer's, often after they pass away making it all the more ....connecting.
Not surprisingly, as you'll see in my CP page public profile, I collect the things we spoke of finding ! I collect pocket knives, pocket watches, and maps ! Surprise ! And I was just this evening, talking briefly with my mother, trying to calm her over a frightening test she has tomorrow at the doctor's, she mentioned to me that Dad's desk was found finally in a warehouse of a moving company, that was from when they moved from their perched mountain ridege-top home, down to the Town of Longmont, in the flatlands, close to mdecial care of theirs and the hospital.

Somehow the desk was missing from the mover, and they finally 'found it' - 6 years later ?? Well I was elated - because all the type of things we spoke of. you and I, were of course in his center drawer, too, plus work-related trinkets from the space program - NASA-. And....as unlikely as this sounds, Dad told me about 9 years ago, before he lost the ability to talk, he said "son. when I die, be ABSOLUTELY sure to look in the lower right bottom drawer; its locked, and the keys I keep here". The keys got lost in the move, but I am finally this coming weekend going to solve the mystery of what is in the drawer, likely paper work for his estate holddings etc, insurance, but then again, his work was highly classified, and he could not speak of many things in it, when 1/2-$Billion dollar rockets were launched with $300K - $400,000 payloads - like Voyageur, Viking, Mariner etc interplanetary spaceraft, and no doubt -secret- payloads such as the occassional defense platforms for orbit- and I am sure many that were said to NOT have been launched MAY have been, who knows ?

Decisions were in the Nations defense interest - you recall Star-WARS - the plat form to orbit ? Cancelled - international relations.... but did it go up ? These and more likely simple things will be found this weekend ! I love a treasure map trail, even as an adult, amounting to simply a desk finally found ! Its better than the movies ! And I idolized my Dad so much, it will be like hollding things in my hand that he did in his ! Well, as I so frequently talk in this thread onnly - as most often I only have time to process game submissions, Its my only outlet for daily anecdotes, and more substantive stories of mine that I hope are of interest to the players. I rarely hear back on them, and so often I pour my heart out in them, its a real treasure to have you read what you did and respond ! THANK YOU. And - if you want a hair-raising read - read the falling through the snowfield mountaineering story.

There are some laughs that I never could express that way until lately !

Thanks again Patti- and I enjoyed immensely reading your memories and memorbilia !
Old 02-13-2009, 12:13 AM   #988
charlene

358 was answered a few posts ago..7:19 p.m.est.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:53 AM   #989
RM

Quote:
358 was answered a few posts ago..7:19 p.m.est.
C'mon geosteve ....stay on task.

Q363 A glad....

Song : If It Should Please You

Lyric : A glad or a sad tune, I wrote along the way
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #990
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Q358 - ...shove
Song- Clouds of Loneliness
lyric - You knew someone, but was it love?
So many years, push came to shove.
You had a dream, so they had one, too.
You turned away, they were untrue.
In our early days we were too willing...
At the time we had yet to arrive...
Many a man and a woman found,
Trying to stay alive.
ok 'tseeer:

Char:

Sorry 'bout that chief. In short, it was quite simple - I scanned up and down from where this list started, and with recent nature of impaired vision, I equated erroneously two different posts of yours as one and the same. The Q358 post, and the combo Q360 and Q364 post I simply mistook for one and the same. My apologies. If I were having difficulties like this all the time - I'd re-consider my voluntary role as 'host' of sorts, no more and no less important than anyone else or delusions thereof, oops (except you - we all know you're the 'Boss' ) .

Perfectly innocent error, I am sure sorry, Thank you for pointing it out, Char. Relax and have some fun ! A little interaction keeps it "human" However, on that note, I will also, as I believe Ron is alluding too very politely in the post after your er....annoyed reminder, but helpful nonetheless Char , Ron's on the money as usual. So I'll re-consider what is germane and what is not, and the length thereof on my departures from pure gaming ! I had cause to write too many long replies/stories that, while they had a minor quality of being germane, they were far too long for this thread - they belonged elsewhere where people aren't trying to play a game ! A few strings were played on things important to me, but just like we are not playing duckpins in here, were not having Reader's Digest either ..lol.. ! Roger that, Houston.

No offense Patti - I truly enjoyed our exchange - My replie(s) were too long is all, nothing pertaining to your very thoughtful and appropriate-in-this-thread/very kind shared thoughts ! Thanks !

OK then Charster

Does Q358 ... shove = 'Clouds of Loneliness' ? - You bet - Congrats, Char. I'll post it in the X-files
Old 02-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #991
geodeticman.5

Quote:
C'mon geosteve ....stay on task.
Q363 A glad....
Song : If It Should Please You
Lyric : A glad or a sad tune, I wrote along the way
Got you covered in my reply and comments to the Charlady , Hoss. You are right, and it takes a man to hear a wise man's comments well - and I respect what you said, thanks, Ron. Now as to your submit:

Does Q363 A glad .... = ' If It Should Please You' - yes sir it does Roger and out for the night, Houston. mmm except I will update the X-files and copy them down for folks to see under this. Have a good one Ron.

I'd imagine you don't see this til well into Friday - look forward to lyrics gaming tomorrow, if I get back from Denver before 9pm Mtn Std = 11PM Eastern and Midnight Atlantic Zone.. I'll try to be on-line by 7PM Mtn Std.

I'll have the optician adjust my glasses in the meantime lol and........

Exchange long posts with some very nice people elsewhere ! -The very nice people here want to play a lyrics game !
Old 02-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #992
geodeticman.5

HERE IS AN UPDATE @12:12 am, Mtn. Std., Sat, Feb. 14th,2009 !

JUST ONE TO GO !

All songs are in the 'main 20 albums'

================================================

Q356 .... shipwrecked .... - REMAINS UNANSWERED

Q357 .... of rainbow .... - X mandoann gets it with 'Sea of Tranquility'

Q358 .... shove - X Char gets it with 'Clouds of Loneliness'

Q359 .... notions - X Lynn gets it with 'Whisper My Name'

Q360 .... curls - X Char gets it with 'Second Cup of Coffee'

Q361 .... is right, .... - X Lynn gets it with 'Affair On 8th Avenue'

Q362 Hear .... - X Jenney gets it with 'EMR' - A Valid Ambig from intended 'Ringneck Loon'

Q363 A glad .... - X Ron gets it with 'If it Should Please You'

Q364 Anytime .... - X Char gets it with 'I'll Prove My Love For You' - A Valid Ambig From Intended song 'Seven Island Suite''

Q365 .... tooth .... - X Ron gets it with 'Too Many Clues In This Room'

================================================== ========

All songs written by: Gordon Lightfoot .

9 DOWN, 1 TO GO AS OF 12:12 am, Mtn. Std. Time, Sat., Feb 14,'09 .. uh-oh

HAVE FUN !

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 02-14-2009 at 03:13 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #993
Patti

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodeticman.5 View Post
Thank you Patti, for the thoughtful - in more than one way- response. While this thread is intended to be essentially game play on lyrics, I personally enjoy when I hear anecdotal and familial stores, etc from the players. It adds a very nice human touch, because I came very close to automating virtually every part of it, and stopped, not only when my 'excessively colorful' format grew very hard to read *guilty* lol.... , but when it was so close to simply invoking it, feeding it the game player's input, and letting it spit out the response, it started to no longer feel as 'human' as I' enjoy it being - So I changed it to meet many criteria, but maybe most importantly - it made it ffel more human again ! Everyone knows I write comically-long-winded yarns , anecdores, memories, too often to excess !

Sometimes, if I pour out a heartfelt memory, or something hard to write about (pleae notice the Mountaineering story of mine above) in order to tun it into a humorous touch here and there, it does great help to me, and I try to make it compelling and interesting to read, without any fabrication or stretching the truth at all, it in turn becomes special when a thoughtful reply like yours and others comes in.

I'm sorry to hear of the passing of you father. I enjoyed reading the similarities you found in that drawer - made me remember the two pocket watches of my grandfather's in that drawer too!. I never met him, as when he passed, he was 1,500 miles away, and only 56. I was only about 6 months old. I'd never have remembered anyway if he did. Thus making that definative drawer of his so fascinating to me - my Dad's , Dad wow ! I could see from the content where many of my father's endearing proclivities cam from , too !
Holding a handful of 'pocket items every day at work' of my Grandfather's, it was also almost like meeting him.

Certainly the drawer does not define the man, but the contents from my experience, DO tell a definative PART of a man's interests, or how he fed his family, or what he enjoyed as hobbies, but most often, I find the things we spoke of, pocket knives, pocket watches, occassional road maps, business cards by the dozens - which tend to be things a man would put on the bureau-top mini 'valet' box where he'd put his wallet, main watch, pocket change, a few business cards, glases etc., but when that little 6" x 12" "valet" over-flowed, the overflow went in his desk drawer top center.

This is only from my experience looking when allowed to, family drawer's, often after they pass away making it all the more ....connecting.
Not surprisingly, as you'll see in my CP page public profile, I collect the things we spoke of finding ! I collect pocket knives, pocket watches, and maps ! Surprise ! And I was just this evening, talking briefly with my mother, trying to calm her over a frightening test she has tomorrow at the doctor's, she mentioned to me that Dad's desk was found finally in a warehouse of a moving company, that was from when they moved from their perched mountain ridege-top home, down to the Town of Longmont, in the flatlands, close to mdecial care of theirs and the hospital.

Somehow the desk was missing from the mover, and they finally 'found it' - 6 years later ?? Well I was elated - because all the type of things we spoke of. you and I, were of course in his center drawer, too, plus work-related trinkets from the space program - NASA-. And....as unlikely as this sounds, Dad told me about 9 years ago, before he lost the ability to talk, he said "son. when I die, be ABSOLUTELY sure to look in the lower right bottom drawer; its locked, and the keys I keep here". The keys got lost in the move, but I am finally this coming weekend going to solve the mystery of what is in the drawer, likely paper work for his estate holddings etc, insurance, but then again, his work was highly classified, and he could not speak of many things in it, when 1/2- dollar rockets were launched with $300K - $400,000 payloads - like Voyageur, Viking, Mariner etc interplanetary spaceraft, and no doubt -secret- payloads such as the occassional defense platforms for orbit- and I am sure many that were said to NOT have been launched MAY have been, who knows ?

Decisions were in the Nations defense interest - you recall Star-WARS - the plat form to orbit ? Cancelled - international relations.... but did it go up ? These and more likely simple things will be found this weekend ! I love a treasure map trail, even as an adult, amounting to simply a desk finally found ! Its better than the movies ! And I idolized my Dad so much, it will be like hollding things in my hand that he did in his ! Well, as I so frequently talk in this thread onnly - as most often I only have time to process game submissions, Its my only outlet for daily anecdotes, and more substantive stories of mine that I hope are of interest to the players. I rarely hear back on them, and so often I pour my heart out in them, its a real treasure to have you read what you did and respond ! THANK YOU. And - if you want a hair-raising read - read the falling through the snowfield mountaineering story.

There are some laughs that I never could express that way until lately !

Thanks again Patti- and I enjoyed immensely reading your memories and memorbilia !
Good you remembered the pocket watches! I thought those were special. Holding watch and chain was a good feeling. The ones I saw could have either belonged to my Grandfather or Great-Grandfather. Sorry you didn't get to meet your Grandfather. I remember my Dad's Dad walking with a cane. He used to work in a fire-tower, but one day he had a stroke and fell. After that he had to use a cane and he couldn't talk. I remember he used to make bullets, and sometimes guys would get together for target practice, and of course us kids had to staying the house until they were done. His wife grew up in that house with the desk drawers. The things could have belonged to her father. Don't know, now. When I looked around, no one was living in the house anymore.

That is really alright that they 'found' the desk! Wow. Have a treasured weekend.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #994
charlene

my reminder was no reflection on your posts/memories..just didn't want my entry getting lost..

my maternal grandfather never wore a pocket watch but I do have his old pen/carving knife he used when in the Timmins bush and finding us grandkids branches to use for roasting marshmallows in the firepit on the beach. and for killing the odd snake that wandered too close to us..lol
i have his wedding ring from his 50th wedding anniversary ceremony and a plaque from the prime minister and certificate from the queen.
i also have a few pieces of 'fools gold' brought up from the gold mine where he worked.
and most important - i have his name - Charles..
i have my paternal grandmothers hand made leather wallet with her initials on the front. and i have many old, old pics from both sides of the family-many from italy and some tintypes. i have no idea who most of the folks in the older pics are. certainly some dour looking folks tho!
Old 02-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #995
mandoann

Q357 ... of rainbow ...

Song: Sea of Tranquility

Lyric: There's rivers of rainbow and grey mountain trout

- if you meet him you will be/ the victim of his minstrelsy/ he'll sing for you a song

"You could wrap me around your finger"
mandoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #996
RM

Q365 ....tooth.....

Song : Too Many Clues In This Room

Lyric : Sweeping out the house with a fine tooth comb
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:39 AM   #997
geodeticman.5

Quote:
my reminder was no reflection on your posts/memories..just didn't want my entry getting lost..

my maternal grandfather never wore a pocket watch but I do have his old pen/carving knife he used when in the Timmins bush and finding us grandkids branches to use for roasting marshmallows in the firepit on the beach. and for killing the odd snake that wandered too close to us..lol
i have his wedding ring from his 50th wedding anniversary ceremony and a plaque from the prime minister and certificate from the queen.
i also have a few pieces of 'fools gold' brought up from the gold mine where he worked.
and most important - i have his name - Charles..
i have my paternal grandmothers hand made leather wallet with her initials on the front. and i have many old, old pics from both sides of the family-many from italy and some tintypes. i have no idea who most of the folks in the older pics are. certainly some dour looking folks tho!
Charster - WOW ! That is IMPRESSIVE - not at all in a braggadosio way at all - but fascinating and special to you, fortunate 4 U ! . Your grandpa must have been an important man to have a 50th-Anniversary plaque and all you described from the Queen !!?? Holy Cow !

I wear a 70-something year old 'canteen-watch' in my snapped-tight Railroad Vest pocket. Dad came across in the Korean war in.. Korea! in a 'sell anything/anyone' stores - they had stopped and put ashore in a shallow keel Rube-Golberg'd very small ship inteneded/built to patrol the inland rivers for genuine modern pirates ! by a simple village, along a river they patrolled for the 'Pirates' - no joke ! and he said he entered the hut/store by gunpoint first- a sad state of affairs there, that 'women' were actually sold in there - 10/12 years old and up , so sad.

But, aside from the depravity which sickened Dad when they offered - what to me is a 'little girl' for sale to him.......he was so saddened for the girl - 11 maybe - he wanted to 'rescue her' but regulations prohibited non-military personnel as cargo by the Navy.

Nevertheless he saw 2 lucky finds after waving away the man proferring the girl to him - he wanted to knock that guys teeth down his throat he told me, but those under his command were with him, and well you know..... Anyway - he did find the usual war-scarce items - soap, TP, chocolate of unkown character lol..even ladies' nylons for port hony's (frown) or to bring home to wives - stockingS made of nylon were a petroleum-based martial-commandeer'ed commodity in the Korean 'Conflict'/War in the US.

His amazing find I'll pass on to MY one child (27..lol), Mamie -on two items -a 'canteen' leather-covered Swiss pocket watch dating from around early WWII in neutral of course Switzerland - civilan mandatory service for all 'army' -issued watch for men, don't know what they issued to women...- who had to serve as well. The two finds that Dad could bear being in their for, in a depraved situation, included also a "find of a lifetime" he found Mom an incredibly-beautiful deeply carved 'bas-relief' (artists in the room ?) teak chest, stoutly built and thick wood - I believe mahogany in the carved areas - much softer wood than the ship-worthy teak, in a mixture of lighter-colored wood in the carved area.. Magnificent. Even the handles on the end were wood-and part of a 'peasants-dwelling' scene - the handles were the "arches" in a bridge carved on both sides ! Absolutely amazing, And it still shines -it became Mom's hope chest after the Korean War - Dad's second hitch as an officer - and truly a gentleman.

I got the watch which (!?) pleased Dad so much to give when he could no longer talk, Parkinsonian, and he handed it to me to give to me with a big old smile- and gestured with it to keep... I wasn't sure - so he gestured to mom to give it to me in his way, the canteen watch - it has a leather outer case that completely encloses it except the face - where a long-time missing old 'celluloid' clear view was at one time, pieces here and there. It really does look like an old western wool-covered canteen !- to dip in the stream and evaporate while you rode would cool it (a real canteen that is...lol metal/wool), but the watch....Swiss made, and it STILL WORKS 4 me ! Incredible, It had an alarm- mechanical - that does not work.

I dare to risk carrying it in my Woolrich 'Railroad Vest' its been called for over 150 years - you can still by them by catalogue or on line - I have 3 darker colors to roughly match what I'm wearing - and I snap-pocket the watch in - and like you said - Dad's pen knife he pocket-ed to diddle with his Pipe, scrape the bowl, clean it up, etc. When I got it, I swear it even smelled of his pipe-smoke, when he passed. Such treasures I could never sell...they mean so much to me. When Mom passes (she had a scarey test today for the big C), Gord forbid, as I am executor to her will and codiciles, and I am really scared for her - my last link to my family's past; & she's willed the 'Teakwood chest' -as she always called it, to me she announced last week, scared. I never asked for it, thought that to be in poor taste on a Romantic item. When in her ALR residence - you do NOT stub your shoes even near it !

She keeps as her 2nd most precious memory from/of Dad' giftings - 1st of course her wedding/engagement set. I'd better stop - I'm doin it again ! Back to entries in gaming ! Thanks, Char, your...kind words made me feel much better, for my letting such deep/warm/hard/better now memories pour out as they do at times. I am still resolved to not do it in here, but I appreciate your warm words offering of your memories - so 'Char' ('Charlene'?) is your feminine given name version of Charles !
Ihave to admit Dad's pen-knife was never used in the timmins bush land, not to kill snakes with..lol.... but a warm memory of Dad all the same - him and his pipe - a single image together in my mind always... but your
items - no matter the nature of, but the memories, right ?

Thats very cool...all such memories - and this weekend I get to OPEN Dad's lower right bottom desk drawer - and center top both locked, he gave me the keys before he died, I was instructed to open them after he passed by him in barely readable scratch. I'm proud to look at that canteen watch, and use his pen knife. Thanks for lettin do this long heart-warming (to me lol) and ...er..longer posts. Back to Biz !

Back to Biz !

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 02-14-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:11 AM   #998
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoann View Post
Q357 ... of rainbow ...

Song: Sea of Tranquility

Lyric: There's rivers of rainbow and grey mountain trout
Howdy mandoann ! Good to have you playing. Here's your input -

Q357 .... of rainbow .... = 'Sea of Tranquility' - you bet ! You got 'er. Thanks for playing ! I appreciate you poking in and out, just at the right time when we are down to 2 or 3 left. - When people are getting ancy for the new ten, and maybe losing faith in the solving of the last 2 or so, thanks for helping again !
Old 02-14-2009, 01:19 AM   #999
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Q365 ....tooth.....

Song : Too Many Clues In This Room

Lyric : Sweeping out the house with a fine tooth comb
Howdy-do Ronster, are you hanging up the tire-iron for awhile lol ? - I hate that when it happens at the worst possible times.

Looks like you take the 'hardest clue in the bunch' award imo, I figured this one for a six-man search party ! lol... one word.... 'tooth' I AM impressed.

Q365 .... tooth ..... = 'Too Many Clues In This Room' ? - you got it Ron. Thank you as usual for playing - don't know what I'd do in here without the 'core regulars' even with a sabbatical here and there
Old 02-14-2009, 02:31 AM   #1000
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
Good you remembered the pocket watches! I thought those were special. Holding watch and chain was a good feeling. The ones I saw could have either belonged to my Grandfather or Great-Grandfather. Sorry you didn't get to meet your Grandfather. I remember my Dad's Dad walking with a cane. He used to work in a fire-tower, but one day he had a stroke and fell. After that he had to use a cane and he couldn't talk. I remember he used to make bullets, and sometimes guys would get together for target practice, and of course us kids had to staying the house until they were done. His wife grew up in that house with the desk drawers. The things could have belonged to her father. Don't know, now. When I looked around, no one was living in the house anymore.

That is really alright that they 'found' the desk! Wow. Have a treasured weekend.
Thank you , Patti. Something about pocket watches - hard to define. I think its that they were always held in their hand when they would make use of it I 'spose. Yes, I sure wish I could have met my paternal grandfather - you may not believe this, but its true. Dad told me, and confirmed it when I was an adult and he still had a lucid mind.

His father was born in Park City Utah, before it was a ski haven of course. He (my grandfather) lived in his father's miner's shack. There was no school there for some reason, and he self-taught himself up to about 12th grade level - and had his own affinity self-taught for math..... He grew up to be first a mule-skinner for the mines (true, I never knew what that was before Dad explained) and then progressed to be the first unofficial school-teacher there. He then met my grandma , she lived in a shack on the hillside too, she had two dresses, one to wear, one for Sundays, or when she was doing the wash.

Then he formally taught algebra and trig in a real High School. And Married my Grandma. She went from a small shack to when my grandpa died, a fine, fine house he had built after WWII, everything just beautiful in it - the way she always dreamed of. I managed that believe it or not for Merry, until her health and all went south and she died. But I was proud to have provided for her and my daughter, in what I remembered my Dad saying that it was not the trappings and house that mattered, it was the heart inside that made the home- mom would finish that statement.... Well, we had a home.

Then Grandpa started with the Postal Service, and went cradle-to-grave with them almost... he made all the way to, first: a Postal line worker, then a Postal Inspector through a seriesof promotions over a few years,then into the war and through WWII intelligence, then said (by Dad)to have re-instituted the postal service in Japan after the Hiroshima and Nagasaki sort of took the breeze out of theirs....but his real assignment was to set it up so there would be tight handling of illegal trade in the mail, Dad said.

Another thing I did not understand 'til Dad explained - Postal Inspectors were pistol-packing 'cops' - like earlier Elliot-Nesses-type raids on waregouses, etc, They used to bust illegal shipments of any nature, and set-up snags, and stake-outs etc.- and got some pretty big-time crime-ring leaders. Then he made it to Deputy U.S. Postal Inspector, no. 2 man. Pretty impressive for a self-taught mule-skinner ! It was said when he died at 56 - at the office - said to cough once, then thunk, head down on the desk - heat-attack. Packing heat on a chest-draw holster at his last gasp. They made my Grandma feel bad by telling her it was all the 'famous in the family' raised cinnamon roles - I can taste 'em now. She never could forgive herself from that thoughtless crack someone made. Anyway...yes - i wish I could have met the one-step from a frontiersman !

Parkinson's had not set in on Dad yet, he was all about smokin his pipe on the deck, and invariably, tapping the ashes out against his boot sole lol.. The fiddle, fill, light, smoke, relight, tamper, relight, smoke....lol. He said one time after the characteristic pause when you asked him a deeper question, allmost any , really, like the pause in CRT (when newbies clap alone) if you did not know Dad - you'd ask him a question 'where the answer needed to be right', and he would characteristically pause, up to a full minute, puff on his pipe, looking straight at you, a quality in itself he said you could define a man by sometimes -unless they were nuts, he said- if he'd look you straight in the eye ( w/o the 'evil eye' lol). If you knew him, you'd wait that full minute, while Swiss-crafted-like mental components with Scots stubborness and perfectionism would give pause..... most who did not know him would throw their hands up and depart.. but family and friends knew.... sit... wait.. puff puff, eyeing you, then an ever-so-perceptably smile, and he'd answer you're question.

Never forget that stolid, scots, sometimes sanguine temperament - I don't believe he ever shouted at me in his LIFE. A quiet man. A genius - I say w/o bragging, him, not me.. And a good judge of character. He liked my wife immediately in the first 'bring her home for dinner'. She was scared stiff, she thought he was like a legend or something - the way I talked him up to her, and my mother - always impeccably dressed, hair ..?..cuoffed ? is that it ? Well they told her to dress casual for the 'steak cookout' - one of Dad's defining activites - cookouts. Best pictures of him looking sideways and smiling... He wore everyday jeans and his everyday chamois shirt, suspenders, and his vest.... guess where I got my dressing habits from ? lol. I guess you guys have never seen a pic of me. Fashion be da88ed ! But Mom - woops - she put on Mrs. Ward Cleaver outfit -full-dress (?), pearls, gold earrings etc.

Merry gets there and in slacks and a ...?..printed blowse ?.... flowers anyway, she had a cow when she met Mom, she actually curtsied ever so slightly.....and then asked where the 'washroom' was , and almost ran for it... I followed, Mom knew immediately what she had (my mother) done wrong upon seeing her, Merry was the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.... and she wanted to make a good impression so bad she was sick... Mom changed in to pants and a sweater I think for Merry, and when Dad yelled in his usual "Lois, have you burned the F.F.'s - and said to Merry rounding the corner by the dining wing we built on together - Oh! er... Hi there MmMerry (he stuttered as a kid, and when he got embarrased he would still ever-so-slightly) He didn't get embarrassed at work too much. And she was fine with Dad right away - He hugged her....rare for him...I had told him she was the one.....anyway - FF's buned yet ? lol... That meant he was done on the steaks, and she (Mom) was forgetful as usual and yes burned the fries.....lol.. At that point Merry laughed and she was fine... just fine... Fine as Fine Can Be......

I better stop there, Patti - didn't cover everything, but I don't think I can take more good memories lol...

Tags
folk-legend, geodeticman, gordon lightfoot, lyrics, quiz