banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-02-2004, 09:51 PM   #26
2Much2Lose

quote:Originally posted by Rob1956:
I was able to register and was not asked a cc # at all. You have to do some fancy left and right clicking with the mouse to bring up the 30 seconds of music.
He sounds more fragile than the Painter sessions, but again, he sounds like no one else. The 3 songs I heard sound complex and a bit like the Waiting for You sessions. Just what I was hoping for. Does Gord have full producer credit on this album...does anyone know?

My understanding is that Rick Haynes is listed as co producer on Harmony.
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:51 PM   #27
Jenney

I was able to register and was not asked a cc # at all. You have to do some fancy left and right clicking with the mouse to bring up the 30 seconds of music.
He sounds more fragile than the Painter sessions, but again, he sounds like no one else. The 3 songs I heard sound complex and a bit like the Waiting for You sessions. Just what I was hoping for. Does Gord have full producer credit on this album...does anyone know?

My understanding is that Rick Haynes is listed as co producer on Harmony.
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:01 PM   #28
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

ok, I get it now. I can wait till May, been waiting since May 12, 1998 anyhow!OK Rob you were lucky I had to wait until 25th June 98 before I found APPT in the huge HMV store on Oxford street in London.
anyway after 1 hour 29 minutes I now have the 3.06MB Inspiration Lady.m4p sitting enticingly on my desktop such is the speed or lack of it on a 56K modem on a dial-up.Further Googling conformed my initial analysis of the built-in m4p protection. So tomorrow I'll be a good boy and cough up my 99 cents and get the software and download a fully-legal version of my own. Then I can burn it into a CD-R and if I wish make my very own mp3.but you are quite correct Rob the anticipation is half the pleasure so I won't be getting the other two at this time. It rather makes me think "what is the point of knowing the sex of a new baby early anyway!!"
Oops did I mention "sex"??

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited March 02, 2004).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:01 PM   #29
johnfowles

ok, I get it now. I can wait till May, been waiting since May 12, 1998 anyhow!OK Rob you were lucky I had to wait until 25th June 98 before I found APPT in the huge HMV store on Oxford street in London.
anyway after 1 hour 29 minutes I now have the 3.06MB Inspiration Lady.m4p sitting enticingly on my desktop such is the speed or lack of it on a 56K modem on a dial-up.Further Googling conformed my initial analysis of the built-in m4p protection. So tomorrow I'll be a good boy and cough up my 99 cents and get the software and download a fully-legal version of my own. Then I can burn it into a CD-R and if I wish make my very own mp3.but you are quite correct Rob the anticipation is half the pleasure so I won't be getting the other two at this time. It rather makes me think "what is the point of knowing the sex of a new baby early anyway!!"
Oops did I mention "sex"??

------------------
starts at

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited March 02, 2004).]
Old 03-02-2004, 10:39 PM   #30
Minstrel Man

John:

Are you able to download the song? According to the itunes website, you may only download the songs in the United States. Are you using itunes?
Minstrel Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 11:38 PM   #31
MatthewBullis

Well John now lives in New Jersey.
Matthew
Old 03-02-2004, 11:38 PM   #32
MatthewBullis

Well John now lives in New Jersey.
Matthew
Old 03-03-2004, 12:24 PM   #33
GJA

quote:Originally posted by GJC:
Good afternoon. I am a long-time follower of this site, posting today for the first time. A friend has alerted me to the posting of three songs from the Harmony CD ("River of Light," "Flyin' Blind," and "Inspiration")on Apple's iTunes music store. I'm a bit technology-challenged, but you apparently need to download the iTunes software (free) in order to access the three songs. You can then listen to 30-second segments of each, or for 99 cents each purchase and download them. He played them for me, and not surprisingly they were most fine. Hopefully the actual CD will be issued soon.

I just tried to download itunes and it said it will not download for any windows applications but 2000 or XP. I have Millineum (sic)!!!
GJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 12:24 PM   #34
GJA

quote:Originally posted by GJC:
Good afternoon. I am a long-time follower of this site, posting today for the first time. A friend has alerted me to the posting of three songs from the Harmony CD ("River of Light," "Flyin' Blind," and "Inspiration")on Apple's iTunes music store. I'm a bit technology-challenged, but you apparently need to download the iTunes software (free) in order to access the three songs. You can then listen to 30-second segments of each, or for 99 cents each purchase and download them. He played them for me, and not surprisingly they were most fine. Hopefully the actual CD will be issued soon.

I just tried to download itunes and it said it will not download for any windows applications but 2000 or XP. I have Millineum (sic)!!!
GJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 03:10 PM   #35
Minstrel Man

I have similar problems. I have Windows 98, and you have to be in the United States to purchase the song.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:16 PM   #36
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Minstrel Man:
John:

Are you able to download the song? According to the itunes website, you may only download the songs in the United States. Are you using itunes?

Yes well thereby hangs a tale
As Matthew said I am now in New Jersey
the reason my web site has an English (.uk)domain name is that at the time I started it johnfowles.com was held by some imposter, as was my second choice johnfowles.co.uk. I visited http://www.ukreg.com after I saw their advert in a UK Internet Magazine I read in our local Barnes and Noble (a splendid store who do not mind you spending all day using their magazine racks as a reference library). From that site I discovered that it was significantly cheaper to register a .uk domain than the plain version. Hence my .org.uk site
Ah yes Well all Right
now about getting this m4p file itself
Interim Report
=============================================
Doug (plumguru2)
on the Newsgroup made it seem deceptively simple
"You can download the iTunes App here:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/"

as earlier so had Jenney on corfid:-
"What is the web address to download them?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.apple.com/itunes/overview.html
You have to register with a credit card then do a search for Gordon Lightfoot, then look for Harmony." "

Here is a running commentary on my efforts to get somewhere with itunes and the harmony preview tracks if only to hear the free 30-second clips!!
WARNING this procedure is most definitely
not for the faint hearted:-
I started as per Jenney's reply at:- http://www.apple.com/itunes/overview
And found that first I had to find and click on an almost hidden hyperlink:-
itunes
I then had to register free then download the software. But I did observe about this time that "you must have Windows 2000 or XP"
I registered with my ISP e-mail address and thought "I'll tag along" even though "I'd rather press on":-

the file downloading is:-
iTunesSetup.exe a mere 19MB only 5 1/2 hours on a 56K dial-up
I then clicked on the most obvious tab "store" which conveniently has a search box so I entered GL first result not impressive only one item was listed under "software"
"Batman Justice Unbalanced Ages 7 - 10
$24.95
With Gotham City and the life of
Commissioner Gordon (Gordon who geddit) at stake, will Batman solve the mystery in time?"
which was hardly what I was looking for!!
I tried again clicking "ipod + itunes" tab
took ages to load the page which duly trumpetted claims for 100 million free songs on the 1 in 3 Pepsi-cola bottle cap scheme
there is a link to the top 100 songs but no search box. But had I been so inclined I could have downloaded Britney Spears with no further ado. I then spotted that right under the "ipod and itunes" tab is a sub-menu which includes "music Store"
"could this be it" I mused
Not quite! There is then a further again almost hidden link to "shop for tunes" which is what I had thought I had been doing for the last 10 minutes!!
so it's not too a-mused-ing after all
next page invites you to "Buy Music for a song"
Tee Tee hee hee chortle chortle snigger!!!
A very nice screenshot:-
]
showing a page headed "itunes" with enticing links arrowed to
"preview any song" and at long last a promising looking search box
But it looks like I will get nowhere until itunes completes downloading 55 % so far and only another 2 1/2 hours to go.
After which presumably all I have to do is sit back and install my single copy of Windows XP,setup an account and download the m4p file again (another 2 hours or so)
Blimey as silverheels/Bruna said earlier it will be quicker to do nothing and twiddle my thumbs until May 11th!!!
Later file downloaded in 3 1/2 hours such patience has to be seen to be believed
Right trying to install itunes abruptly comes to a halt to remind you rather late in the day that it must have Windows 2000 or XP
Now to fight XP. Luckily I have a spare desktop here to experiment with!!!
wartch this space!!!

------------------
starts at

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited March 03, 2004).]
Old 03-03-2004, 03:16 PM   #37
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Minstrel Man:
John:

Yes well thereby hangs a tale
As Matthew said I am now in New Jersey
the reason my web site has an English (.uk)domain name is that at the time I started it johnfowles.com was held by some imposter, as was my second choice johnfowles.co.uk. I visited http://www.ukreg.com after I saw their advert in a UK Internet Magazine I read in our local Barnes and Noble (a splendid store who do not mind you spending all day using their magazine racks as a reference library). From that site I discovered that it was significantly cheaper to register a .uk domain than the plain version. Hence my .org.uk site
Ah yes Well all Right
now about getting this m4p file itself
Interim Report
=============================================
Doug (plumguru2)
on the Newsgroup made it seem deceptively simple
"You can download the iTunes App here:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/"

as earlier so had Jenney on corfid:-
"What is the web address to download them?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.apple.com/itunes/overview.html
You have to register with a credit card then do a search for Gordon Lightfoot, then look for Harmony." "

Here is a running commentary on my efforts to get somewhere with itunes and the harmony preview tracks if only to hear the free 30-second clips!!
WARNING this procedure is most definitely
not for the faint hearted:-
I started as per Jenney's reply at:- http://www.apple.com/itunes/overview
And found that first I had to find and click on an almost hidden hyperlink:-
itunes
I then had to register free then download the software. But I did observe about this time that "you must have Windows 2000 or XP"
I registered with my ISP e-mail address and thought "I'll tag along" even though "I'd rather press on":-

the file downloading is:-
iTunesSetup.exe a mere 19MB only 5 1/2 hours on a 56K dial-up
I then clicked on the most obvious tab "store" which conveniently has a search box so I entered GL first result not impressive only one item was listed under "software"
"Batman Justice Unbalanced Ages 7 - 10
$24.95
With Gotham City and the life of
Commissioner Gordon (Gordon who geddit) at stake, will Batman solve the mystery in time?"
which was hardly what I was looking for!!
I tried again clicking "ipod + itunes" tab
took ages to load the page which duly trumpetted claims for 100 million free songs on the 1 in 3 Pepsi-cola bottle cap scheme
there is a link to the top 100 songs but no search box. But had I been so inclined I could have downloaded Britney Spears with no further ado. I then spotted that right under the "ipod and itunes" tab is a sub-menu which includes "music Store"
"could this be it" I mused
Not quite! There is then a further again almost hidden link to "shop for tunes" which is what I had thought I had been doing for the last 10 minutes!!
so it's not too a-mused-ing after all
next page invites you to "Buy Music for a song"
Tee Tee hee hee chortle chortle snigger!!!
A very nice screenshot:-
]
showing a page headed "itunes" with enticing links arrowed to
"preview any song" and at long last a promising looking search box
But it looks like I will get nowhere until itunes completes downloading 55 % so far and only another 2 1/2 hours to go.
After which presumably all I have to do is sit back and install my single copy of Windows XP,setup an account and download the m4p file again (another 2 hours or so)
Blimey as silverheels/Bruna said earlier it will be quicker to do nothing and twiddle my thumbs until May 11th!!!
Later file downloaded in 3 1/2 hours such patience has to be seen to be believed
Right trying to install itunes abruptly comes to a halt to remind you rather late in the day that it must have Windows 2000 or XP
wartch this space!!!

------------------
starts at

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited March 03, 2004).]
Old 03-03-2004, 04:18 PM   #38
Minstrel Man

So much for the idea of "user friendly"! You could only be a true fan John. To go through all that hassle for a simple preview. That act is one of dedication and true faithfulness. An act of devotion to a true legend of Canadian Music.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:44 PM   #39
violet Blue Horse

You're a brave brave man John. I took one look at the "Must have Windows 2000 or XP" and said nevermind. I run Windows 98. But judging by your issues with dial up it would take me all day to download even if I had 2000.

You're a brave man John.

quote:Originally posted by johnfowles:
wartch this space!!!

------------------
Born once - Got it right the first time. )O(
Old 03-03-2004, 04:44 PM   #40
violet Blue Horse

You're a brave brave man John. I took one look at the "Must have Windows 2000 or XP" and said nevermind. I run Windows 98. But judging by your issues with dial up it would take me all day to download even if I had 2000.

You're a brave man John.

quote:Originally posted by johnfowles:
wartch this space!!!

------------------
Born once - Got it right the first time. )O(
Old 03-03-2004, 05:42 PM   #41
muklucannie

i got it easily! no credit card as i was only wanting to listen to the tidbits of the three songs...
no problem!
lol
char
how about that John!!!
muklucannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 05:42 PM   #42
Char1

i got it easily! no credit card as i was only wanting to listen to the tidbits of the three songs...
no problem!
lol
char
how about that John!!!
Char1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:06 PM   #43
Tyler

Shame on you Char, I was there for nearly 3 hours. I have Windows ME also. I couldn't find any way to get to where I wanted to be, so I will be waiting for May 11th!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:06 PM   #44
brink

Shame on you Char, I was there for nearly 3 hours. I have Windows ME also. I couldn't find any way to get to where I wanted to be, so I will be waiting for May 11th!
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:47 PM   #45
Gord

Considering Mr Lightfoot is Canadian, I think it's a shame the powers that be have decided that Canadians are not allowed to download these 3 new songs.

I tried to get em lastnight and failed.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:47 PM   #46
Gord

Considering Mr Lightfoot is Canadian, I think it's a shame the powers that be have decided that Canadians are not allowed to download these 3 new songs.

Old 03-03-2004, 10:26 PM   #47
TheWatchman

I'm still running Windows 98 on my desktop PC but have XP Pro on my laptop. Trouble is, I only use my laptop while traveling and only have it set-up for dial-up. I need to reconfigure something or other to get it to work with my cable line. I can't wait to download those songs.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 11:23 PM   #48
2Much2Lose

quote:Originally posted by Gord:

Char lives in Ontario and it doesn't sound like she had a problem. I'm on broadband running Windows XP and didn't have any trouble at all.
Char, how did you do it?
Jenney
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 11:23 PM   #49
Jenney

quote:Originally posted by Gord:

Char lives in Ontario and it doesn't sound like she had a problem. I'm on broadband running Windows XP and didn't have any trouble at all.
Char, how did you do it?
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:05 AM   #50
DMD3

I hope the songs on this CD are very much like the ones on "A Painter Passing Through".