banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-07-2004, 02:45 PM   #1
GretschViking

Can anybody give me an idea of Mr. Lightfoot's popularity in Canada?
is it huge, like the Beatles were in their prime in the US? Is it less?
how about this, let us say the Beatles in their prime(Were they big in Canada?)are a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10, and April Wine is a 1 (not necessarily, I just wanted to throw out a name), where does Mr. Lightfoot fall?
GretschViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 02:45 PM   #2
Travis McGee

how about this, let us say the Beatles in their prime(Were they big in Canada?)are a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10, and April Wine is a 1 (not necessarily, I just wanted to throw out a name), where does Mr. Lightfoot fall?
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 02:54 PM   #3
silenceandsound86

Hi Travis,

I can't answer, because I'm not from Canada, but I did want to say, "great question." I do get so jealous finding out about how revered Gordon is in Canada, and all the things that happen there (radio, TV, newspaper articles, etc.) So, yeah, just how popular IS he there? (And it's great that through this site, we non-Canadians get to find out about so many Lightfoot-related events!)
silenceandsound86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 02:54 PM   #4
Rona

Hi Travis,

I can't answer, because I'm not from Canada, but I did want to say, "great question." I do get so jealous finding out about how revered Gordon is in Canada, and all the things that happen there (radio, TV, newspaper articles, etc.) So, yeah, just how popular IS he there? (And it's great that through this site, we non-Canadians get to find out about so many Lightfoot-related events!)
Rona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 04:42 PM   #5
Station Master

Send a message via ICQ to Station Master

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=cb...ews.com&rnum=2
Station Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 04:42 PM   #6
jj

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=cb...ews.com&rnum=2
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 04:54 PM   #7
SilverHeels

quote:Originally posted by Travis McGee:

The winner: Gordon Lightfoot with 21% of the total votes.

SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 07:00 PM   #8
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

I'm not Canadian either, but I suspect that Gord is a part of the Canadian psyche as Springsteen is in the US.
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 07:00 PM   #9
Rob1956

I'm not Canadian either, but I suspect that Gord is a part of the Canadian psyche as Springsteen is in the US.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 09:12 PM   #10
Boat House AKA member

Send a message via ICQ to Boat House AKA member

I am Canadian, here's my humble take.

He is not as big as the Beatles were in Canada at their height of popularity, not even close. This is not a slight to Gord but hey you're talking the Beatles here.

In fact Canadian artists that have achieved greater notoriety worldwide and I would suggest in Canada are Neil Young (I am also a big Neil fan) and Joni Mitchell and maybe inlcude the Guess Who and Bryan Adams in there.

One thing about Gord he tended to stay around Canada more, not really seeking worldwide stardom. I love Gord for staying true to his songs, never selling out, just writing great, meaningful songs.

Another relatively unknown Canadian artist who died many years ago in a plane crash but also wrote some great songs was Stan Rogers, if you ever get a chance you might want to give him a listen.

[This message has been edited by Kilgore (edited August 08, 2004).]
Boat House AKA member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 09:12 PM   #11
Kilgore

I am Canadian, here's my humble take.

He is not as big as the Beatles were in Canada at their height of popularity, not even close. This is not a slight to Gord but hey you're talking the Beatles here.

In fact Canadian artists that have achieved greater notoriety worldwide and I would suggest in Canada are Neil Young (I am also a big Neil fan) and Joni Mitchell and maybe inlcude the Guess Who and Bryan Adams in there.

One thing about Gord he tended to stay around Canada more, not really seeking worldwide stardom. I love Gord for staying true to his songs, never selling out, just writing great, meaningful songs.

Another relatively unknown Canadian artist who died many years ago in a plane crash but also wrote some great songs was Stan Rogers, if you ever get a chance you might want to give him a listen.

[This message has been edited by Kilgore (edited August 08, 2004).]
Kilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:55 AM   #12
Station Master

Send a message via ICQ to Station Master

the CBC poll is just a poll, maybe it's 11%, perhaps 51%?

hey, good post above, but a response is hard to articulate, i think of him as part of our vocabulary, part of our everyday humming and whistling, part of each of us, even our ignorant youth (as they age i believe most realize they been a fan all their lives)... someone asked what was the first Gord tune I heard, I have no clue, it's like asking me what was the first word that anyone spoke to me... it's really been more of a long strung together medley, part of one's nurturing, imo

i don't think Gord or most are too concerned or frustrated by his popularity (or lack of)

lol, here's a cute thread (mainly Canuck teens, i'm guessing)
http://ctvforum.insinc.com/forums/sh...threadid=10353

one gal's got it right, he is THE Canadian Idol... hope that's not an insult, lol
Station Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:55 AM   #13
jj

the CBC poll is just a poll, maybe it's 11%, perhaps 51%?

hey, good post above, but a response is hard to articulate, i think of him as part of our vocabulary, part of our everyday humming and whistling, part of each of us, even our ignorant youth (as they age i believe most realize they been a fan all their lives)... someone asked what was the first Gord tune I heard, I have no clue, it's like asking me what was the first word that anyone spoke to me... it's really been more of a long strung together medley, part of one's nurturing, imo

i don't think Gord or most are too concerned or frustrated by his popularity (or lack of)

lol, here's a cute thread (mainly Canuck teens, i'm guessing)
http://ctvforum.insinc.com/forums/sh...threadid=10353

one gal's got it right, he is THE Canadian Idol... hope that's not an insult, lol
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 02:52 PM   #14
LSH

That was interesting..thanks jj!
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 03:05 PM   #15
SilverHeels

JJ,
that was great. To me, as a non-Canadian,Gordon Lightfoot is, and always has been, Canada.
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 03:23 PM   #16
charlene

even for non-fans of Gords here in Canada most are fully aware of this status as a legend, an icon, a poet, singer/songwriter, Canadian. many of my 20 year old sons friends don't know much of his music but do know, respect and appreciate his importance in Canada. Trilogy is ensconced in the history texts and some songs are used as examples in English classes.
IYCRMM was my first Lightfoot song and the rest after that just came naturally. It was like breathing....it just happened over and over again.
And 34 years later I still breathe him every day.
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 03:23 PM   #17
charlene

even for non-fans of Gords here in Canada most are fully aware of this status as a legend, an icon, a poet, singer/songwriter, Canadian. many of my 20 year old sons friends don't know much of his music but do know, respect and appreciate his importance in Canada. Trilogy is ensconced in the history texts and some songs are used as examples in English classes.
IYCRMM was my first Lightfoot song and the rest after that just came naturally. It was like breathing....it just happened over and over again.
And 34 years later I still breathe him every day.
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote