banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
Yuri

Default Justin Bieber or Gordon Lightfoot? Who's the greater Canadian icon?

I think we all know the answer.....

Justin Bieber or Gordon Lightfoot? Who's the greater Canadian icon?

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/15...-canadian-icon

TORONTO - To prepare for the Grey Cup, I caught Gordon Lightfoot at Massey Hall this week, then checked out Justin Bieber on YouTube.

Never mind football, the Cup shapes up as a summit of Canadian icons. Bieber and Lightfoot in a halftime show for the ages.

I haven’t been this excited since Hendrix faced off with Country Joe & the Fish at Woodstock.

Beliebers and Lightheads, take your marks.

Which raises the musical question: Who’s the greater Canadian icon, the Stratford kid or the man from Mariposa?

Let’s start with some numbers.

Lightfoot packed Massey Hall as usual, all 2,765 seats.

Before I headed out the door for the show, I checked Bieber’s video of Baby on YouTube: 799,984,782 views. By the time you read this it may hit 800 million. That’s like every man, woman, child and poodle in Europe.

Mind you, the Baby video also had 3,152,000 “dislikes.” Some people get jealous of icons.

Bieber sold 15 million albums before his 18th birthday and is the world’s hottest pop singer.

Pshaw, you say? Flash in the pan? Maybe, but he has survived his voice change and other perils of puberty. And true icons define their eras. Bieber is the definitive star born on YouTube.

Lightfoot, whose voice changed during the Korean War, has sold 10 million records, but also penned hits for the likes of Harry Belafonte, Marty Robbins and Peter, Paul and Mary.

He defined folk/pop in the 1960s and 70s, even more so than Bob Dylan, if you ask me. At least Gordie sings on key.

He and Bieber have other things in common.

Both are proudly and vocally Canadian.

Both have been known to have women trouble. Well, who hasn’t?

Both have had health scares.

Lightfoot nearly died of an aneurysm in 2002 and was even declared dead online a couple of years ago.

Bieber was concussed walking into a glass door last spring. Pretty tame brush with death, but he’s young.

On Tuesday, Lightfoot was on Newstalk 1010’s Late Shift with my pal Warmington and spoke of how much he admired Bieber and how his family is looking forward to the half-time show — to see Bieber.

Pop princess Carly Rae Jepsen and the band Marianas Trench round out the lineup. They are somewhat less iconic than Burton Cummings, who headlines a pre-game show with country star Johnny Reid.

Lightfoot will open half-time with four stanzas of the Canadian Railroad Trilogy, perfect for this 100th Grey Cup.

There was a time in this fair land

When the railroad did not run …

“Then I can stand back and watch Justin Bieber,” Gord told Joe, sounding pretty thrilled for a guy who’s 73.

By now, I assume Bieber’s mom has explained who the heck is Gord Lightfoot anyway.

I doubt the Biebs gives much thought to his own place in history. He’s too busy trying to win back Selena Gomez.

Justin’s big. But he still can’t carry Lightfoot’s jockstrap. Maybe some day.

Meantime, be you a Belieber or a Lighthead, it’s one helluva halftime show.

“Absolutely the best ever,” says CFL marketing VP Sara Moore.

Marketing VPs always say that, but she’s right.

I hope the football is even half as iconic.

Speaking of icons, Variety Village has had a tough year, with flooding and all.

So there’s extra urgency to my annual Christmas Fund for that Scarborough athletic centre for disabled kids.

It kicks of in Sunday’s paper, with some touching tales and a mouth-watering pile of draw prizes.

Over the years the fund has raised more than $1.1 million.

Hit it, Mr. Lightfoot:

We’ve been friends through rain or shine

For such a long, long time

Beautiful. Over to you, Justin:

Baby, baby, baby, oooh.

Thanks, fellas. Rock the Grey Cup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gord vs Justin.jpeg
Views:	440
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	5538  
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
bjm7777

Default Re: Justin Bieber or Gordon Lightfoot? Who's the greater Canadian icon?

Good article. Not really a comparison at all...lol.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
jj

thx yuri

i think Carly Rae should round out a trio with Gordo and Beibo

Call Me Maybe, Baby, Step Back

http://corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php...ighlight=carly

Gord wouldn't cut short IYCRMM for the Grammys, way back when

but will majorly trim the classic CRT for his country ...plus, he has mellowed

well, Argonauts have hands full with Calvillo, just to try get back to Skydome
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

Not even close. Gordon wasn't a product of the money maker star machine which can make almost anyone a star. Gordon has already proven he is the real rare Icon. Bieb likely won't be doing much in several years.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Why the hell would anyone make a comparison like that?
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 AM   #6
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

my first response? doy, duh. that was actually my only response. there is no one better than mr. lightfoot.
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninCt. View Post
Not even close. Gordon wasn't a product of the money maker star machine which can make almost anyone a star.
yes, currently, not even close unless one is counting % of today's record buying fans

but, Bieber used internet as a promo/discovery catapult and has many tools that could develop into something with longevity, if he chooses to remain in the game...now that he is single and rich, i'd the money, the "girls" and run

nice work a couple of minutes into the ballad (he must be patterning himself after Gord's In My Fashion rap, lol)...nice that he is actually singing the 1st song...get some proper boots or at least a proper male colour

today's dance choreo stuff is a big draw obviously ...it seems like everyone else around Beib has pants that fit.... why all the crotch room? he doesnt even shave yet

oh, that was a long wordless speech that said nothing...he needs speech coach and fashion consult....that chain and that hat (thats seems to not even be resting in his head???) are dumb looking and very feminine, imo....his mom looks younger than the girl who introduced Beib...that was Carly Rae Jepsen who will also perform at Grey Cup Halftime this Sunday)

...its too bad the Massey Lightheads couldn't stay for Cup week...rally tonight at Dundas Square... our Gord played some rural high school football

Pull Together Argonauts.... what an eastern final that was... Chad Owens, wow

Last edited by jj; 11-20-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
jj

i was just FFing thru to the end of the award show and this cracked me up...i missed the boat on what this guy is all about but i guess he has used youtube to catapult by Beiber to become the new dude that all the girls want to swarm, lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=8ZMCFzq37iQ
Old 11-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
charlene

Biebers mum is 38...she was 17 when he was born. Had a helluva tough life. Haters will hate but they have produced a young man who works very hard at what he does. He's a kid still facing all that the world has to offer and then try to take from him. While I am not a fan of his music stylings I do greatly admire that he has the ambition and drive to see his dream continue. A work ethic like that does not come without it's price and I certainly hope his mum and grandparents who travel with him keep on top of things so we dont' see what always seems inevitable with those whose stars shine so bright, so quickly..he's still a kid..and a kid from a very small town growing up in front of the world in a time where it's seems that some peoples life ambitions are to tear down those who succeed. As a wise man once said - "Do the best with what ya got."...and I think he's done very well...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

Well I guess I was a bit harsh, but I see the Justin Timberlake scene all over again with Bieber. Nothing much, just average talent, with the star maker machine working behind him ( probably William Morris Agency) to make a big star in the teeny bop world where the real spending money is. There are others always being developed, as some boy group is getting the treatment now too. I'm sure they got Justin running around doing all kinds of promo stuff to keep him in the limelight, but at his age it shouldn't be hard, and probably lots of fun. Yes, it makes him rich, and if he plays it right he can be like Timberlake and make the fame last for years. Nowadays, you don't need exceptional talent, just a following of loyal fans that you grew up with. He isn't doing anything new, and the big cap, baggy crotch and grabbing the crotch area while dancing are very old stuff. Clones are everywhere. I have seen many very talented singers and musicians who never got anywhere beyond the small local stage, because they never had the star machinery behind them. It's all a matter of luck for most of them, if someone from one of these super agencys picks you out, and signs you, you just might have it all. In Gordons early days he had to prove himself as a real talent and stick to it no matter what. Makes me so happy that he did, his lifetime record proves he was the real thing, and that's why we are here.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote