banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Your very own new GL album "Extra Rare"!!

OK in view of the overwhelming response to my two recent and most carefully composed postings
  1. on "The Doomsday Song" at:-
    http://http://www.corfid.com/vbb/sho...4&postcount=17
  2. on "Your Song" at:-
    http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showpost.php?p=177712&postcount=50
I am going to get straight to the point for once

I was leading up to stating that for those of you who are lamenting the availablity of a definitive new album, as distinct from a rehash of Massey performances of known and deservedly popular songs,it is a fact that there are in circulation far more than enough unreleased items to fill a CD which anybody so inclined could compile for their own use.
I have long planned to do just that and for my own amusement have entitled my own selection "Extra Rare"
For which many moons ago I created CD case cover artwork

I found that great photo "oh shit what is that?" somewhere on the internet and I think that somehere I noted who took it but I cannot readily refind that informaton
Anyroad I have now completed a thorough review of what unreleased items there are in circulation that I am aware of and can now present a detailed listing which you may like to compare to the full definitive list on Wayne's site at:-
GL songs at:-
http://www.lightfoot.ca/unresngs.htm
covers by GL at:-
http://http://www.lightfoot.ca/unrecovs.htm

Rather than clutter up this message and in order to be able to include other links etc I am about to write my list up as a pukka web page and as soon as it is uploaded I will return with the link
It goes without saying that in general the standard of those recordings is not up to the perfectionist level that Gordon always strives for but the point is that "as is" they have given many devoted fans much pleasure over the years and In My Humble Opinion could in many cases be released on a new album in their existing form.I have several times tried to make the point to Gord that he should consider revisiting some of these songs, but we all know that he eschews his earlier work so it ain't gonna happen more's the pity
Firstly however I must address the following comment by an overly optimistic member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Steele View Post
Hey, there could be stuff on here that was never included on an album before.... who knows?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Steele View Post
I AM PUMPED!!!!!!!!!
I would not get too over inflated Wes because since 1999 there has definitely only been the one unreleased song featured in a Massey Hall season (the recently discussed "Nighttime" widely available already in several quite reasonable bootleg recordings. but hopefully also including one of those specially recorded from the soundboard in 2001 (along with Harmony's Shellfish and The No Hotel)as we now know pobably with the currently planned release in mind)
Before that the pickings are slim.
I have checked the available Massey setlists on Wayne's cornucopia and basically you only have the four "rarities" from the 25 March 1974 concert
http://www.lightfoot.ca/740325.htm
Tennessee Stud (also played on 25 March 1975)
Pleasures Of The Night
Partners (also played on 25 March 1975)
Divorce Country Style
also on that list is an alternative live version of TheYarmouth Castle saga
(very topical in view of the recent Italian debacle) and it did make it onto the bootleg recording that is dated either March 23 or 24 not the 25th (depending on where you are looking as I commented in my posting at:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showpost.php?p=164009&postcount=6
For most Massey seasons from 1976 to 1994 there are no setlists on Wayne's site at all and nothing unreleased is on any setlist in succeeding years until 2001;however in 1979 he had performed "Heavenbound" two months earlier at Carnegie Hall so it is possible that if an"official" recording were made at Massey that year it just might include that number (as captured in the Carnegie Hall bootleg)
The March 1974 concerts resulted in an abortive recording due to a fingernail malfunction but one complete concert was fortuneately captured by somebody in the audience instead resulting in a most valuable unofficial bootleg wherein the fingernail problem does not as far as I can discern impinge upon ones listening pleasure and the existence of which I have good reason to believe has been taken into consideration by Gordon and the planners of the new album.
So with luck those missing four will get an official release at last.

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 02-05-2012 at 08:50 AM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: Your very own new GL album "Extra Rare"!!

??? 150 views and not a single response!!!??

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
youngstranger

Look forward to seeing the list, I wonder about what is out there in bootleg form that I haven't heard. Thanks to those Skip Weshner recordings I got to hear the Seabird Song and a framgent of the Doomsday Song!

Magic Minstrel Show is a pretty funny Gord "anthem" which I'd love to see emerge in top quality.
youngstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstranger View Post
I got to hear the Seabird Song
i think that's the first time I've heard Gord use the blatant phrase "I love you" in a lyric....can you think of any others?
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
formerlylavender

"And I love you just in case you didn't know"

Shadows
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
jj

you are right, lisa...thank you

i don't know if this has been posted but for those who haven heard either cut:

jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
KHester

Thanks for the link..
Heard about but never saw it before..

Kevin
Old 11-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

Yes definately, thanks for the link. I never heard either of them before. I sure hope someone puts all these older and rare songs on a cd that is available to the public. I got a laugh out of Gordon saying he doesn't play well near the end, totally fine playing..
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote