banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 06-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
Auburn Annie

Default Glen Campbell has Alzheimer's

http://www.people.com/people/article...html?hpt=hp_t2

Apparently he's doing one more fall tour but he and his wife wanted people to know, if he flubs a line, that there's a medical reason for it. According to the article he's suffered from short-term memory lapses for some time but was only diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 6 months ago.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy
Default Re: Glen Campbell has Alzheimer's

How sad! I used to love the his show in the '70s. I wonder if his doctors have considered testing him for Lyme's Disease. New research is showing a link between the two, and a possible cure.

Cathy
Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
BendRick

That's sad. The last time I saw him in concert was in Sparks, Nevada, 1998.I have alot of his music, and liked his performance in the 1969 version of "True Grit" movie.
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
charlene

sad news. he's an incredible talent..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
Borderstone

I found out yesterday.

At least we know what ever happens,he's led a full life amnd had a great career with fans who love what he did (and still does.)

I was just 2 nights ago reading about how he was in the 1950s group The Champs (after they had recorded "Tequila". Then he went on to the Hondells for their on hit "Little Honda".

After that his short stint with the Beach Boys & a short lived group called Saggitarius.
(No hits).

Then he got his big counrty solo career .

My well wishes & prayers are with him and his own.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
lighthead2toe

Very sad news indeed.

He sang Gord's tunes with an elevated passion. It was like he would separate the "Walls" of the song, go inside and live it out there. He did stuff to those tunes that drew second, third and more listenings.

Somewhere in my collection of Gord stuff there is a tape recording by a local radio DJ where he talks about an event years ago in Toronto when Gord wanted to invite his special friend Glen Campbell in for a set in a local establishment where Gord worked and he was unfortunately not well received by the audience.

Guess they were too well pumped for a "Gord only" event.

But it's clear that Glen rose above whatever the situation was and went on to garner a major foothold into the world of TV, radio and recorded many wonderfully arranged songs and continues on performing despite his illness.

As long as you sing Glen, we'll be listening.

Cheers,

Ron J.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
redhead

To be robbed of everything you were and are is so heartbreakingly tragic for not only the person suffering from this terrible disease, but for the family members who love and care about them as well.

My prayers go out to him and his family.

Last edited by redhead; 06-25-2011 at 12:03 PM.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
charlene

Toronto review @ http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2150437/

Music: Concert review
The diagnosis is grim, but Glen Campbell’s in fine form
J.D. Considine
From Friday's Globe and Mail
Published Thursday, Sep. 01, 2011 2:43PM EDT
Last updated Thursday, Sep. 01, 2011 3:04PM EDT
Glen Campbell
At the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto on Wednesday

Who says goodbyes always have to be sad?

In June, 75-year old singer and guitarist Glen Campbell announced that he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. Ghost on the Canvas, which was released on Tuesday, would be his final album, and he began the bluntly titled Goodbye Tour at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto the following day.

But the parting offered more sweet than sorrow, as Campbell offered a précis of his half-century career with passion, joy and only the subtlest hints of any incapacitation. Instead of showing anger or sorrow over his fate, Campbell made jokes. At one point in the show, after apparently forgetting what the next tune was, he turned to the crowd and cracked, “That’s the best thing about getting older: ‘I forgot.’”

He didn’t forget much, however. Although there was a flat screen display scrolling song lyrics next to the monitor speakers at his feet, Campbell mostly got by without help. Apart from an occasional glance here and there, he didn’t obviously rely on the screen until he got to an encore rendition of You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’ – which was fair enough, considering that he only played guitar on the original 1964 Righteous Brothers recording.

After opening with Gentle on My Mind, the theme song from his late-’60s TV show, The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour, he treated the large and enthusiastic crowd to a host of hits: By the Time I Get to Phoenix, Where’s the Playground Susie, Try a Little Kindness, Rhinestone Cowboy. He strapped on an electric 12-string for the chiming guitar hook in Southern Nights, and before singing True Grit, he made jokes about having appeared in the movie. John Wayne won his only Oscar for that film, he said, mockingly suggesting that “it was probably because I made him look so good” in comparison.

Campbell’s voice was in terrific shape throughout the 75-minute performance, offering effortless high notes on Wichita Lineman and even a bit of yodeling on the Hank Williams oldie Lovesick Blues. After remarking that one of his biggest successes, It’s Only Make-Believe, had previously been a hit for Conway Twitty, he did a Twitty impression during the song’s first verse, and joked around with the lower register of his voice while doing the Johnny Cash/June Carter hit Jackson, accompanied by his daughter Debby.

Debby wasn’t the only member of the Campbell clan onstage, as Glen also had his sons Shannon and Cal on guitar and drums, respectively, as well as his youngest daughter, Ashley, on keyboards and banjo. Ashley and Debby got their own feature, a sweetly sung rendition of the Fleetwood Mac hit Landslide, but it was Ashley’s banjo playing that earned the biggest cheers, especially after she challenged her dad to a “duel” with the bluegrass chestnut Duelling Banjos.

Although Campbell played the proud papa afterward, the fact was he barely broke a sweat during the tune. Always one of the hottest pickers in L.A. – he was part of the famed Wrecking Crew group in the early ’60s and played on literally dozens of hits – he’s lost little of his ability, and offered several flashy solos that touched on everything from bent blue notes to Nashville chicken pickin’ to fast, jazzy runs. There were a few fumbled notes, however, hinting at the toll his Alzheimer’s will eventually take.

Even so, it was hard to shake the sense that Campbell was fine with that. He closed the show with two songs from Ghost on the Canvas, and he seemed to sum it all up with the valedictory A Better Place. “Some days I’m so confused, Lord/My past gets in the way,” he sang, adding, “The world’s been good to me/ A better place awaits, you’ll see.”
Old 09-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
imported_Ordinary_Man

Friends and I are going to see Glen Friday night in St. Charles MO. Be my first and I guess last time to see him. I was a mere teenager when he had those first big hits. What can you say? A wonderful guitar player, a great voice and a truckload of hits. (I guess he made Jimmy Webb a ton of money!)

I'm really looking forward to it, tho' I think I may be feeling a bit sad by the end of the evening.

P.S Gonna see Gord again in Springfield IL next week too. Sure gonna be different without Terry up there.
imported_Ordinary_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
Borderstone

Aside from the fact of his illness,the only other thing buging me is people seem to be puttin the cart before the horse and giving their albums away to Goodwill already.

I've seen his LPs there before but it seems to have doubled now. Why do people get rid of albums like that? Either when an artist goes or might?

You'd think they'd want to keep them.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:30 AM   #11
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Ordinary_Man View Post

P.S Gonna see Gord again in Springfield IL next week too. Sure gonna be different without Terry up there.

I imagine it will be different. I haven't yet been to a concert without Terry. There aren't any near me this year, so I don't know when I will get to one, but when I do, I am sure I will be struck with a bit of melancholy. enjoy your concert
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Glen was on Ellen a couple of days ago. He still sounds great. I noticed he hit a couple of sour notes during a guitar solo, but I doubt that had anything to do with his illness. Personally, I think he should keep on playing and performing for as long as he can manage, even just a few shows. The repetition would probably be good therapy.

I had to laugh when his wife was talking about his illness and said he had been experiencing short term memory loss since 2003. Glen got a look of panic on his face and yelled, "Where's my shorts?" Got a big laugh from the audience.

His illness is very bitter sweet to me. I've always been a fan of his singing and supurb guitar playing, and never missed an episode of the Glen Campbell show. Now I wish I'd have seen him in person. It's hard to watch the heros of our youth getting old!

Cathy
Old 09-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
redhead

The disease is progressing; how devastating for his wife and family.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1683626.html
Old 09-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #14
charlene

It's very sad..he was such a dynamic performer with a terrific stage prescence.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #15
redhead

http://www.people.com/people/article...808648,00.html

Glen Campbell Moved to a Care Facility for His Own Safety, Says Family

By Anya Leon

04/20/2014 at 01:00 PM EDT

After a constant juggling of shifts to keep an eye on Glen Campbell around the clock, his family made the decision to move him into a memory care facility in Nashville.

The transition, they tell PEOPLE, was in the best interest of the "Rhinestone Cowboy" singer, who has been living with Alzheimer's for over three years.

"There were five of us taking care of him and we were all completely exhausted," says Campbell's wife, Kim Woolen. "No one was getting any sleep and we were just struggling every second to keep him safe – we felt like it wasn't safe anymore."

The couple's daughter Ashley, 27, agrees that the move, which occurred in March, was for the best. "[It can be dangerous] with all the household appliances and dish soap liquid and olive oil," she says. "He'll drink anything ... if you lose concentration for a second, he could hurt himself."

Campbell, Woolen and her children are the focus of a new documentary called Glen Campbell ... I'll Be Me, which had its premiere at the Nashville Film Festival on Friday night. It follows the family as they deal with different stages of the disease during Campbell's Goodbye tour in 2012, though according to director and producer James Keach, ultimately the movie's message is less about the disease, and more about love, family, and the ties that bind.

"This is a love story," Keach says. "It's about a man who is in love with a woman, and together they're walking the road of life. It's funny and uplifting and empowering. It's inspirational, like Rocky with a guitar. At the heart of it, it's about love, it's about joy, it's about music."

Producer Trevor Albert concurs. "The movie is not specifically about Alzheimer's – it's about how you choose to treat one another," he says. "People came expecting to see a train wreck, and what they experienced was the most loving and accepting family. That's somehow empowering."

And although Campbell is now living at the facility full-time, he is able to leave any time his support circle – including Kim, Ashley and son Shannon – take him out. Recently, they brought him back to their house for a family dinner.

"He's made friends there. Everybody loves him there. It's a beautiful setting, it's very secure," Kim says.

And while Campbell struggles to remember some things, he has never forgotten his love of music.

"He plays guitar there. He's got this little guitar ... he picked it up and stood up in the living area in front of some of the residents and he played a couple songs," Kim recalls of his first day there. "Then he thanked them all for coming. Then he went over and laid down on the sofa and took a nap. It was so sweet."

• Reporting by DEBORAH EVANS PRICE