banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-16-2003, 09:10 PM   #1
2loveandmaplesyrup

One of Gordon Lightfoot's songs, " If You Could Read My Mind" has a phrase

"...just like an old time move 'bout a
ghost from a wishing well..."

I want to know if this is only the words to the song or was he really was inspired by a movie about a ghost from a wishing well ? If so, what was the name of the movie ? It would be fun to watch an old ghost movie if it inspired a classic song such as this.

Thanks,
Stormy

2loveandmaplesyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 09:10 PM   #2
STORMY

One of Gordon Lightfoot's songs, " If You Could Read My Mind" has a phrase

"...just like an old time move 'bout a
ghost from a wishing well..."

I want to know if this is only the words to the song or was he really was inspired by a movie about a ghost from a wishing well ? If so, what was the name of the movie ? It would be fun to watch an old ghost movie if it inspired a classic song such as this.

Thanks,
Stormy

________
CHEVROLET OMEGA

Last edited by STORMY; 02-22-2011 at 10:35 PM.
STORMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 09:23 AM   #3
Auburn Annie

I'm *reasonably* sure it was NOT the inspiration for that phrase, but the only "ghost from a wishing well" movie I can think of is The Time of Their Lives, an Abbott and Costello movie about two colonials (Lou Costello and Marjorie Main) killed as traitors who haunt an estate (not just a well) inherited by Bud Abbott's character. Also has a love story between one ghost (Main) and the man she loved who waits for her in heaven. Once cleared via a letter found in a clock, their souls are released. For 1946 there were lots of special effects.

As an aside there IS a Wishing Well Bed and Breakfast in Sedona Arizona, describe as "a very secluded, romantic retreat nestled on a hillside in Oak Creek Canyon, a stone's throw from uptown Sedona." Maybe GL saw it on one of his gigs in Arizona. See http://www.innsite.com/inns/A105000.html for a picture of the well.

Final analysis: writer's imagination.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 09:23 AM   #4
Auburn Annie

I'm *reasonably* sure it was NOT the inspiration for that phrase, but the only "ghost from a wishing well" movie I can think of is The Time of Their Lives, an Abbott and Costello movie about two colonials (Lou Costello and Marjorie Main) killed as traitors who haunt an estate (not just a well) inherited by Bud Abbott's character. Also has a love story between one ghost (Main) and the man she loved who waits for her in heaven. Once cleared via a letter found in a clock, their souls are released. For 1946 there were lots of special effects.

As an aside there IS a Wishing Well Bed and Breakfast in Sedona Arizona, describe as "a very secluded, romantic retreat nestled on a hillside in Oak Creek Canyon, a stone's throw from uptown Sedona." Maybe GL saw it on one of his gigs in Arizona. See http://www.innsite.com/inns/A105000.html for a picture of the well.

Final analysis: writer's imagination.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:00 PM   #5
southern_gl_fan

Auburn Annie, I think you are right. Gordon was using a 'metaphor'to paint a picture in a very few words, of the way felt at that time about a situation he found himself in.

It very much reminds me of Paul Simon's line in 'Mrs Robinson' "Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio? A nation lifts it's lonely eyes to you.." Was this not a metaphor for the passing of a bygone era?

The skill of a craftsman
southern_gl_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:00 PM   #6
Khotsocooldude

Auburn Annie, I think you are right. Gordon was using a 'metaphor'to paint a picture in a very few words, of the way felt at that time about a situation he found himself in.

It very much reminds me of Paul Simon's line in 'Mrs Robinson' "Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio? A nation lifts it's lonely eyes to you.." Was this not a metaphor for the passing of a bygone era?

The skill of a craftsman
Khotsocooldude is offline   Reply With Quote