banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Lightfoot Covers

Old 02-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
charlene

Default Brian Ekard-Does Your Mother KNow

Brian has done it again! - awesome cover! watch on youtube by clicking on the blue link, not the photo..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:06 PM   #2
lighthead2toe

Default Re: Brian Ekard-Does Your Mother KNow

A most spirited rendition of this very changeling and very special Gordon Lightfoot song.

Other than the original I'm unaware of any other versions as well put together as what our talented friends have accomplished here.

Obviously there was plenty of collaboration that went back and forth and the hat is off to you all guys. Many thanks.

During the big "folk scare" of the sixties there was a huge migration from Canada's East Coast to the big city of Toronto and I was one of those guys swept up in that massive wave. And did that baby roll!

"Does Your Mother Know" was one of those "penetrating" songs to me being a maritimer and it's a great feeling to reflect back on that wonderful era when we could sit and drink (maybe too much at times) with the folk singers of the day.

Gord was one and a rising star at the time and he obviously was listening to our stories.

He did a cross country tour in 1967 and played all over Newfoundland. Even toured the four small villages on on the Burin Peninsula on the most southern tip of the Province.

It's true we were homesick and wanted to go back home and we "had ten dollars and our rent cost eight and when we get straight we're gonna' come back east some day."

Never manifested for me though. I got hooked on the music of Gordon Lightfoot. "Caught by the minstrel's misfortune" (or fortune?) you might say. It's the world I've lived in since. Captivated. Got my own space here in the "Gord Room" where I can wallow away in that world of nostalgia and play those tunes over and over. Reflect on the "seeds of love that lie cold and still." Remember those early days in Toronto when we would "walk all day in the rain." "Dream away till the morning light returns again."
The legend lives on after fifty years. I love it there. Toronto has become my town; kids, grandkids born here. Home is just a"Lightfoot song" away.

Having played this video several times I'm thinking of my dear sweet Mom who's still living in the old homestead. She'll turn 100 this year in December and she's "right as rain" as they say back home. Time to call her now that I can. We only get one Mom.

"Bless you all and keep you on the road to tenderness."
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote