banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-08-2000, 03:12 PM   #1
Frank v

Childbirth,christening,coming of age,engagement,marriage,anniversaries..... funeral..........

Pick a Gord song for each occasion in your life.

Frank.
Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2000, 07:35 PM   #2
sandyo

Frank...welcome back sweetie...I haven't had all of those occasions, but I do know what it is like to be away from someone you love, so "A song for a Winters Night" is my pick. " I would be happy just to hold the hands I love"

Sometimes that's all it takes......sandyo
sandyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2000, 02:01 AM   #3
Janice

Well, let's see...

"Rainy Day People", taught me, at that vulnerable awkward, age how to be a friend and what qualities to look for in a friend. I guess that would be part of the coming of age process.

"If You Could Read My Mind" helped me through my first heartbreak. "Talking In Your Sleep" helped me recognize the impending second one. "Dreamland" allowed me to be strong and say "no" when he wanted to come back. I don't know if young love/heartbreak can be considered an "occasion" - but it sure felt like one at the time

While it certainly didn't happen/hasn't happened in my life, "Go My Way" would be a perfect engagement song and "Beautiful" would would make for a heartfelt anniversary sentiment.

Just a few to throw in the mix-

Janice
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2000, 10:52 AM   #4
windhorse

Certainly the most popular request I have gotten from people I have played and sang for has been "Beautiful" for Weddings.
windhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2000, 10:03 PM   #5
sundownbuff

Windhorse,
My husband and I will celebrate our 25th anniversary this December, maybe you could record it for me to play that day.
Sundownbuff
sundownbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 04:59 PM   #6
DMD3

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Janice:
[B]t I don't know if young love/heartbreak can be considered an "occasion" - but it sure felt like one at the time

It is, trust me.
One day if I ever have children the 1st song I am going to ever play for that chile is 'Circle Of Steel'.

The 1st song I played when we moved into our big new house was 'The House You Live In'.

I played 'The Wreck' on November 10.(Who didn't)

And although it's been awhile since I've played it, I play 'Someone To Believe In' every so often because I'm trying to get me a girlfriend but just can't seem to find that certain one.

And I also played 'It's Too Late, He Wins' when I found the girl I like was going out with someone else.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:31 PM   #7
Gaby

My "occasion" happened earlier this week, on Tuesday, at 11.05 at night. My little cat, Kitty, died. She was 22 years old and had been with me nearly half my life. She'd been drifting off, on my bed, for 4 or 5 days and just sighed and went. Carefree Highway was playing at the time.

"Carefree Highway, let me slip away on you
Carefree Highway, you seen better days."

So very serendipitous, I suppose.

Every time I've played it since, I've sobbed my heart out and this song will mean something completely different from now on.
Gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 06:48 PM   #8
theotterjudystill

So sorry, Gaby. I know you miss Kitty very much. I've been there too many times, and it never gets easier. Be comforted that she went peacefully, next to HER best friend. And keep listening to Gord, because he makes everything in life better somehow.
I am dreading the day when my 17 1/2-yr old cat Trouble goes over the "Rainbow Bridge" (as Best Friends Animal Sanctuary/Society terms it). She's been my buddy for so long now.
Hang in there. This too shall pass, Gaby.

-- Judy

[This message has been edited by theotterjudystill (edited November 24, 2003).]
theotterjudystill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 07:33 PM   #9
Gaby

Judy, thank you so much for understanding. Even some of my best friends don’t seem to realise what a gap she’s left. I am just so grateful that I didn’t have to take her to the vet. I hope that when the time comes for you and Trouble to say Goodbye that she drifts off as peacefully as Kitty, with you holding her paw.

You are so right about GL’s songs. It’s a good job the poor man doesn’t know the incredible demands some of us make emotionally on his work.
Gaby is offline   Reply With Quote