banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2005, 06:42 AM   #1
Auburn Annie

<snip>...It's a lovely compliment," adds the Hull-born, Hamilton raised Lanois more seriously. "It's a great honour."

And none other than Canadian folk music legend Gordon Lightfoot will formally present Lanois with his star.

"Oh, that's great, I love him," says Lanois. "That sounds terrific. He's a great, great songwriter and a great man. I love everything about him and he's eccentric on top of that."

Lanois says Lightfoot asked him to produce a record several years ago but he was unavailable. However, Lanois did play guitar on a couple of tracks on Lightfoot's 1998 release, A Painter Passing Through.

"I don't know him real well, but I feel like I do," says Lanois, who had an early memorable meeting with the icon when Lanois was just a teenager outside Hamilton.

"He did a show at my high school," he says. "In fact, I was walking to the show and a Cadillac pulled up, window rolled down and it was the man himself who said, 'How do we get to the Ancaster High School?' I said, 'Follow me.' And it was a beautiful show. It was ever so simple. It was in the gym." ... <snip>

The whole article is at http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2005/06/01/1065490.html
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:42 AM   #2
Auburn Annie

<snip>...It's a lovely compliment," adds the Hull-born, Hamilton raised Lanois more seriously. "It's a great honour."

And none other than Canadian folk music legend Gordon Lightfoot will formally present Lanois with his star.

"Oh, that's great, I love him," says Lanois. "That sounds terrific. He's a great, great songwriter and a great man. I love everything about him and he's eccentric on top of that."

Lanois says Lightfoot asked him to produce a record several years ago but he was unavailable. However, Lanois did play guitar on a couple of tracks on Lightfoot's 1998 release, A Painter Passing Through.

"I don't know him real well, but I feel like I do," says Lanois, who had an early memorable meeting with the icon when Lanois was just a teenager outside Hamilton.

"He did a show at my high school," he says. "In fact, I was walking to the show and a Cadillac pulled up, window rolled down and it was the man himself who said, 'How do we get to the Ancaster High School?' I said, 'Follow me.' And it was a beautiful show. It was ever so simple. It was in the gym." ... <snip>

The whole article is at http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2005/06/01/1065490.html
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:13 AM   #3
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Thanks, Char!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:07 PM   #4
charlene

Annie posted the link..not moi!
lol

char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:07 PM   #5
charlene

Annie posted the link..not moi!
lol

char
Old 06-01-2005, 05:33 PM   #6
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Oops!! Sorry -- thanks, Annie!!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:43 PM   #7
joveski

when Lanois accepted the award, he said

"Bob Dylan said to me 'Are you up there in Canada? When you see Gord, give him my regards, 'cause that's a big man.'"
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #8
charlene

and Gord was just beaming when Daniel said it to him. When Daniel said "I'm up here with Gordon Lightfoot" it was adorable. He was thrilled as much with that as he was in receiving his Walk of Fame Star. He went to say more but Gord steered him back to the award!
lol
Old 06-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #9
charlene

and Gord was just beaming when Daniel said it to him. When Daniel said "I'm up here with Gordon Lightfoot" it was adorable. He was thrilled as much with that as he was in receiving his Walk of Fame Star. He went to say more but Gord steered him back to the award!
lol
Old 06-07-2005, 08:52 AM   #10
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

there is a complete pasting in of the report on the televised events on the Newsgroup at:-
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...7c7680bb?hl=en
This includes the following:-
"Gordon Lightfoot presented Daniel Lanois. Lightfoot was not part of
the red carpet broadcast, but could be seen several times from his seat
in the second row, sitting beside Mrs. Lightfoot"
those who watched the show
Is that correct???
John Fowles
Is the light of passion burning bright
Everywhere you go, only love would know
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:52 AM   #11
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

there is a complete pasting in of the report on the televised events on the Newsgroup at:-
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...7c7680bb?hl=en
This includes the following:-
"Gordon Lightfoot presented Daniel Lanois. Lightfoot was not part of
the red carpet broadcast, but could be seen several times from his seat
in the second row, sitting beside Mrs. Lightfoot"
those who watched the show
Is that correct???
John Fowles
Is the light of passion burning bright
Everywhere you go, only love would know
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:59 AM   #12
charlene

I'll have to watch the whole video - I recorded it and just happened to switch to the station when Gord was on but didn't watch the whole show....he should be quite recognizable considering he had on his red jacket, black top and black dress pants.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:59 AM   #13
charlene

I'll have to watch the whole video - I recorded it and just happened to switch to the station when Gord was on but didn't watch the whole show....he should be quite recognizable considering he had on his red jacket, black top and black dress pants.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:50 AM   #14
bjb

I didn't see any audience shots of Gord (maybe I missed it?) but really enjoyed Daniel Lanois's enthusiasm for Gord and Gord's for him.

PS I had never heard Lanois play before and his performance blew me away -- the song was very "ethereal" and he said afterwards the whole thing was played with a broken string on the pedal steel guitar he's had since the beginning.
bjb is offline   Reply With Quote