banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-15-2019, 12:20 AM   #1
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW
Default Ram's Head Show 5/14/2019

Just a quick note here before I have to sleep some.

During the first song tonight Gord had to abruptly stop and sit. At that point his wife came out with an oxygen tank and mask. It was hard to see from our seats but eventually it made sense. Recovering himself he restarted the song exactly (IMO) where he left off.

He was in good spirits but had to receive the oxygen about 4 more times during the show and I think he took some hits before the encore. No intermission at this small venue tonight. The songs were about the same as from the Red Bank show.

Other that the scare when he sat down at first and he looked bad when he started singing and got worse, it was a good show. He was chatty Cathy again and the small crowd warmly embraced him and the band. I'd see hi, again based on tonight.

BILL
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:51 AM   #2
Mike M

Default Re: Ram's Head Show 5/14/2019

hello, I was at the concert with a front row table near Gordon. I notice on his stool for his water bottle there was a bottle of something and another bottle that looked like a nasal spray. I figure maybe he was having a cold. Yes, the concert started just great, as this is our third time seeing Gordon at the Rams Head in 4 years. He started out with Waiting For You and I could see a minute into the song, he was having trouble breathing and he stopped playing. He looked up and said "Okay" and someone started to laugh, he sat down in the chair and put his head down. The guitar playing said "Where's Kim?" She came out and started the Oxygen. I really thought that the concert was going to end, due to the health issues Gordon was facing, which was completely understandable. Kim was with him for about 4 minutes and he got up and started back into Waiting for You where he left off. Then he did Cotton Jenny I believe and Kim came back out and gave him some more O2. And he looked and sounded fine the rest of the concert, which was amazing. My wife said he sounded stronger in voice as the show went on. Normally he does 2 sets, but he did a straight one set, which was more amazing for what he might be going through. Later in the show Kim did come back out with the O2 and she said this has not happen since last, 4 shows ago. To have a O2 tank, that is under a doctor's care. In a recent book about Gordon, he was having the stomach pain that nearly killed him for days and he did not see a doctor, as it was too late, when the stomach aorta broke right before a show. Most die from that. Anyway, it was a very scary moment but he recovered to go on with the show. So I wonder if anyone might know what might be going on with Gordon? I do have some video, on youtube from the show, Gordon Lightfoot Annapolis Maryland 2019, as I just posted Shadows. I will not post the first song out of respect to Mr. Lightfoot. Mike
Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
Mike M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2JOeYEr9w0 If You Can Read My Mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWfei14Ic4I Shadows
Two songs from the show last night. I do have other videos for Gordon from other shows at The Rams Head. Just search Gordon Lightfoot Rams Head, will get you to them.
Also I have one from Wolf Trap, his encore, Song for a Winter's Night, as he talks about his death, reported.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #4
formerlylavender

Sorry to hear about Gord's medical issues. Hopefully this was a one time thing. It sounds like the rest of the show went smoothly and Gord was feeling fine/chatty etc.

Mike, I think it was mentioned on here before that Gord has emphysema.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
BILLW

Yes exactly Lisa - Gord looked great at the end and was very happy. He and Kim kissed on stage and the crowd went wild during one of the oxygen hits. He reminded me of the American football players who sometimes will suck oxygen between plays but then run right back of the field.
The show (overall) was fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlylavender View Post
Sorry to hear about Gord's medical issues. Hopefully this was a one time thing. It sounds like the rest of the show went smoothly and Gord was feeling fine/chatty etc.

Mike, I think it was mentioned on here before that Gord has emphysema.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #6
Mike M

Lisa, I am glad that Bill knows who you are, so that he wrote back with your name.
I have not been on this site in years, as I only remembered this site, due to the upcoming concert, yesterday. So I did not know it was mentioned he had emphysema. So that leads me to writing about the Gordon Lightfoot book I read last year, along with Bruce Cockburn book who we are seeing in October, as I did see that mentioned in the book. Anyway, I hope Mr. Lightfoot is okay over all, as again, he has to be under a doctor's care to be getting O2. Kim did say he did not have O2 in the past 4 days. So something is up. He does have a heavy tour schedule for the year.
I would think if this was something really serious, the doctor would of told him to stop the tour. We are all getting old, as Bob Seeger for one is doing his last ever tour this year. Joan Baez is no longer touring. I have posted 3 songs on YouTube, I will not post Waiting For You, the first song out of respect for the family. Someone on YouTube already asked, so don't. Mike
Old 05-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
BILLW

Hi Mike,

I'm glad you remembered corfid.com and posted about the show. I was wondering if anyone else who was a corfid member was at the show. Had I known I would have said hello. Welcome back.

Bill
Old 05-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #8
Mike M

Bill,

Basically with things going in life, with other interest, as Music is a big interest, I basically forgot about Corfid.com, as its hard to remember to log in to check on things here, at least for me. Wish there was a email to get a email notice of member writing something here like on io group former yahoo group, etc. This was our 6th concert of the year.

I did not even think about a member being at this show. I do remember you once I saw you are from Salisbury, as my wife is from Salisbury. Sorry to see that the newspaper is no more. And we finally saw the Hi Ball in Delmar. (we are into trains big time, Neil Young belong to the same train, model association as we do, as he would come to train meets).

So I am sure I will forget to check in again, as time goes on, got so much going on.
I do hope to post more video from the show.
Best Mike (We are in Germantown, Maryland)
Old 05-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #9
charlene

HI, Gordon needed oxygen out west a few times last year and again in April when I saw him near Toronto, in Oakville..it was very warm in the venue and especially hot with dead air onstage. He required Kim to come out with the oxygen at that time-in the second set during Restless.. He then went on and sounded better than he did in the first half. It was 'hear a pin drop' silent with only a few of us knowing what and why but the audience sat and waited and he got a huge ovation before he started up again and again after the song.. He called out "oxo-lady' several times until she came onstage and she told the audience how warm it was onstage. She told Gordon 'take your time'. - he then removed the mask and said 'that's what you said last night!'.. it was all caught on the mics and Kim giggled and laughed..He's very quick with the witty repartee even when sucking oxygen.! lol.
The next two nights in Mississauga were terrific.. I have threads here with pics and videos. I did not post the video of the 'oxygen-lady' visit tho..
I agree... the mini tours are too many in such a short time frame. the travel, flying, rehearsals and show are too many in a short time span.
Just before xmas he was in hospital for a week with pneumonia but told doctors he had a tour to do and he got out and did the tour...I saw him 3x in 4 days with one day being a day off. Thankfully all travel then was by car to the shows I saw-Peterborough, Oshawa and Orillia.. - threads here have videos/pictures ...
Great to hear from all of you!!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:29 AM   #10
Mike M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAQ_kRqE1EY
I posted Gordon's opening song, Waiting For You, but I cut out were he stopped and got medical attention from his wife, Kim. However, at about the 1:29 mark, you can see as he turns towards us, he is breathing very heavy, in the chest, like a heart attack is coming on.
It is amazing, however, how he comes back after getting out of the chair by the stool, and starts the song, were he left off.
I did find a article on line about Gordon, a interview, from 2015? in Toronto and he did say he has Emphysema and its due to him smoking, as it seems he still smokes. This is only going to get worse were eventually one will need a O2 tank with the hose on them, for life. No, he is not going to die anytime soon, but I have a current video from this concert of Shadows, its very hard to understand the words, to me, as his voice seems not as strong due to his O2 situation. I have a video of him at The Rams Head from last year, Shadows, and the voice is much stronger. I have just audio, from 2016 at the Rams Head and 2013 from Wolf Trap, very strong. I realize that Gordon wants to tour as long as he can, but after this year, if he can continue, who knows. I do see that he is coming back to The Rams Head in July for 2 nights and the show is nearly sold out, for both. Good for him. I wish him well, as I hope to see him next year. Mike
Old 05-16-2019, 10:35 AM   #11
Martyn Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAQ_kRqE1EY
I posted Gordon's opening song, Waiting For You, but I cut out were he stopped and got medical attention from his wife, Kim. However, at about the 1:29 mark, you can see as he turns towards us, he is breathing very heavy, in the chest, like a heart attack is coming on.
It is amazing, however, how he comes back after getting out of the chair by the stool, and starts the song, were he left off.
I did find a article on line about Gordon, a interview, from 2015? in Toronto and he did say he has Emphysema and its due to him smoking, as it seems he still smokes. This is only going to get worse were eventually one will need a O2 tank with the hose on them, for life. No, he is not going to die anytime soon, but I have a current video from this concert of Shadows, its very hard to understand the words, to me, as his voice seems not as strong due to his O2 situation. I have a video of him at The Rams Head from last year, Shadows, and the voice is much stronger. I have just audio, from 2016 at the Rams Head and 2013 from Wolf Trap, very strong. I realize that Gordon wants to tour as long as he can, but after this year, if he can continue, who knows. I do see that he is coming back to The Rams Head in July for 2 nights and the show is nearly sold out, for both. Good for him. I wish him well, as I hope to see him next year. Mike
I find it incredible that he is still smoking ! We’ve all known for years about the dangers.
When I saw him in Oxford, in May 2016, I could hardly believe how his voice had deteriorated since my time at the Massey Hall in 2008.
All rather sad, given what a wonderful voice he used to have...
Martyn Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #12
charlene

He stopped smoking about 8 months ago - new interviews are posted where he says he stopped.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #13
Mike M

Sadly, the damage is done, its not revisable at this stage in his life.
Just be prepare for what may and probably will happen in time, sadly.
No I do not think he is going to die anytime soon, but, I see him on a O2 tank very soon, for the rest of his life. And that probably will end his touring. We are all fans of his and we do not want to see this happen, but sadly, this is life at its worst.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #14
T.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Sadly, the damage is done, its not revisable at this stage in his life.
Just be prepare for what may and probably will happen in time, sadly.
No I do not think he is going to die anytime soon, but, I see him on a O2 tank very soon, for the rest of his life. And that probably will end his touring. We are all fans of his and we do not want to see this happen, but sadly, this is life at its worst.
Sad, indeed But he is one tough and determined character -- if he can at all play, he will.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #15
BILLW

He is tough as nails. I will continue to buy tickets until he decides to stop selling tickets. I still am somewhat amazed by fellow audience members, some using canes and walking slowly, who expect to see the same show as they may have seen once in 1972. He's great and the band is great and I enjoy every minute. As the man sings "These are just the simple facts, I will relate to you, They are not connected, Each and every one is true..."

"I'm gonna let it ride." - GL

Bill
Old 05-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #16
Mike M

Hi Bill,
I too will continue to see Gordon no matter, as we can not make it in July for the shows at The Rams Head. Hopefully he will be back in 2020. If you have read the recent book on Gordon, get the book. A lot I knew, but a lot I did not. (No mention of smoking however) Mike
Old 05-17-2019, 06:40 AM   #17
Mike M

Despite what was happening with Mr. Lightfoot on Stage, medically, I just purchased two tickets to see Gordon again, at The Rams Head, July 30. He has two shows there and they are nearly sold out. I got pretty good seats not too far from the stage. Hopefully, the Emphysema is not going to slow him down.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #18
charlene

he was still smoking when the book was written/released and in the documentary he is smoking..

in january when i saw him at HUGH's Room I told him I was proud of him for quitting..

he has a great grandchild coming at the beginning of July so perhaps that played into his quitting as well as knowing how any people want him around for a lot longer..
Old 04-22-2020, 03:03 PM   #19
MistyMoppens

So sorry we missed him at the Ram's Head Tavern.

It's such a great venue in such a scenic, fun location. History & beauty is everywhere & it's a cozy, unique atmosphere. We saw Moya Brennan when I surprised Dear Hubby with tickets. He's a huge (HUGE!) fan crushing on her as was every man in the audience. (They were all completely mesmerized.) Moya is Enya's sister. She sang "I Will Find You" in "The Last of the Mohicans" (I was so happy to see one of my favorites, English actor Steven Waddington, in that! woohoo!)

Anyway, if any of you can catch anyone you love appearing at the Ram's Head Tavern in Annapolis, MD - please do. It's right on the Chesapeake Bay. You'll love the entire experience.

Last edited by MistyMoppens; 04-22-2020 at 03:08 PM. Reason: additional info
MistyMoppens is offline   Reply With Quote