banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2000, 05:49 PM   #1
BigFitz

At a fantastic Lightfoot Concert (what other kind is there?) the Gord mentioned that he did the sound track for a very early Michael Douglas movie entitled, "Hail Hero". Some of the songs from this movie included Don Quixote, and Sit Down Young Stranger. Has anyone seen this movie? Is it possibly available on video? I would love to see his work showcased in that manner.

"...From Dusk until Dawn, they have searched all day long, but there's too many clues in this room..."
BigFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2000, 05:49 PM   #2
bobo

At a fantastic Lightfoot Concert (what other kind is there?) the Gord mentioned that he did the sound track for a very early Michael Douglas movie entitled, "Hail Hero". Some of the songs from this movie included Don Quixote, and Sit Down Young Stranger. Has anyone seen this movie? Is it possibly available on video? I would love to see his work showcased in that manner.

"...From Dusk until Dawn, they have searched all day long, but there's too many clues in this room..."
bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2000, 07:04 AM   #3
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

DQ and SDYS are not in the movie. As I understand it, they were submitted along with Hail Hero, but Hail Hero is the song that was chosen. They were all demos, and the story goes that Gord wanted it that way so he could keep the two better songs for himself. There is a second GL song in the movie; maybe Wherefore and Why? Someone correct me if I remember wrong. The movie is long out of print, but occasionally copies are auctioned at Ebay.

------------------
Valerie Magee
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2000, 02:41 PM   #4
thumbs

Send a message via ICQ to thumbs

bobo,

This is a very intriguing inquiry. I have often wondered why GL had not been recruited for more big screen appearances, considering his devilish good looks. I understand that he appeared in an episode of the old TV series 'Hotel'. I heard he was also considered for the role of Larry Taite on the 60's TV series 'Bewitched,' a roll eventually secured by David White.

"...Then in a blaze of tangled hooves he galloped off across the dusty plains.."

thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2000, 02:41 PM   #5
potter

bobo,

This is a very intriguing inquiry. I have often wondered why GL had not been recruited for more big screen appearances, considering his devilish good looks. I understand that he appeared in an episode of the old TV series 'Hotel'. I heard he was also considered for the role of Larry Taite on the 60's TV series 'Bewitched,' a roll eventually secured by David White.

"...Then in a blaze of tangled hooves he galloped off across the dusty plains.."

potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2000, 05:36 PM   #6
BigFitz

Mr. P. and Valerie,
thanks so much for your insight!!! I'll keep my eyes on e-bay!
BigFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2000, 05:36 PM   #7
bobo

Mr. P. and Valerie,
thanks so much for your insight!!! I'll keep my eyes on e-bay!
bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2000, 08:50 PM   #8
Jim

I don't recall the name of the movie, but about 3 years ago Gordon the lead role in a made for tv movie on lifetime. He played the part of a batterd husband. It was wierd seeing Gordon cower from this woman.Has anyone else seen, or heard of this movie?
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2000, 08:50 PM   #9
Paul J B

I don't recall the name of the movie, but about 3 years ago Gordon the lead role in a made for tv movie on lifetime. He played the part of a batterd husband. It was wierd seeing Gordon cower from this woman.Has anyone else seen, or heard of this movie?
Paul J B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2000, 10:31 PM   #10
Lightfoot678

Okay. I got the following from the Internet Movie Database

Composer - filmography
1.Hail, Hero! (1969) (songs)

Gordon Lightfoot (II)

Filmography as: Actor, Notable TV guest appearances

Actor - filmography
1.Harry Tracy, Desperado (1982) .... Morrie Nathan
... aka Harry Tracy (1982)

Filmography as: Actor, Notable TV guest appearances

Notable TV guest appearances
1."Hotel" (1983)

------------------
Look into his shining eyes and if you see a ghost don't be surprised......Listen to the strings. That jangle and dangle while the old guitar sings.

The lake it is said never gives up her dead, when the gales of November come early.
Lightfoot678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2000, 07:23 AM   #11
vlmagee

Gordon's music was also featured in Paperback Hero which contains an alternate take of If You Could Read My Mind. And the Hotel episode was aired on 1/2/88 and taped in September, 1987 (not 1983). Gordon gave a mid-day concert on 9/13/87 for the benefit of Folkworks, and recorded for broadcast on WNEW. He mentioned in that concert that he had just flown in overnight from finishing the shooting for Hotel (apologizing for not being "too lively", as if he ever needs to apologize!). He also told us approximately when it would air and I had my VCR set every week starting at the beginning of December.

------------------
Valerie Magee

[This message has been edited by vlmagee (edited March 08, 2000).]
Old 03-08-2000, 03:59 PM   #12
Cotton Jenney

I bought a copy of Hail Hero a while back. Hail Hero is the song that is used in the begining, when we are being introduced to a very young Michael Douglas. It's a pretty tune with only a few verses. Later on in the movie Wherefor and Why is in the background with no lyrics. The movie itself is not very good. The acting is not great and the dialog ue and plot are even worse. It is worth watching though as you come away with a whole new appreciation for Sit Down Young Stranger. In fact if you listen to that song you know the entire plot of the movie. Don Quixote would have been an excellent choice for the soundtrack, but would have overshadowed the movie!
Old 03-08-2000, 03:59 PM   #13
Cotton Jenney

I bought a copy of Hail Hero a while back. Hail Hero is the song that is used in the begining, when we are being introduced to a very young Michael Douglas. It's a pretty tune with only a few verses. Later on in the movie Wherefor and Why is in the background with no lyrics. The movie itself is not very good. The acting is not great and the dialog ue and plot are even worse. It is worth watching though as you come away with a whole new appreciation for Sit Down Young Stranger. In fact if you listen to that song you know the entire plot of the movie. Don Quixote would have been an excellent choice for the soundtrack, but would have overshadowed the movie!
Old 04-21-2000, 01:52 PM   #14
Ann B

Last night (20 April) in Santa Rosa, CA,
Gordon performed "Hail Hero". From his
elaborate introduction, it appears that
it was his own idea rather than a request.
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2000, 01:52 PM   #15
muscatel

Last night (20 April) in Santa Rosa, CA,
Gordon performed "Hail Hero". From his
elaborate introduction, it appears that
it was his own idea rather than a request.
muscatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2000, 05:18 PM   #16
vlmagee

Muscatel - Please e-mail me. I'd like to ask you something about the Santa Rosa concert.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #17
Borderstone

Just reading this nealry 7 year old thread and I had to laugh. :D
Gordon as client-brownnoser/hypocrite boss Larry Tate on "Bewitched"?? :D :D

Boy,what if he had gotten it?

"Darrin,(either one of you! ) can you come into my office?"

Starts singing to "The Gypsy":

"Darrin you're fired cause you wife is witchy",
"She said diddle de dum,diddle dee dee"!
"She cast a spell on our ad agency",
"she said,diddle dee dum,diddle dee dee!" LOL!

At least we know that acting isn't his thing.