banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
dale lardie

What, as fans, and appreciators of Gordon LIghtfoot can we do for HIM to thank him for just about 40 years of pleasurable listening and performances. Its time to give back to HIM some of the pleasure he has given us!
Any ideas, please post them!
THank you,
Dale
dale lardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
Auburn Annie

Well, he's sure happy to see us turn up at his concerts; I think as long as he has an audience, he's one happy man. He doesn't need material things, he's on good footing with his kids, he's long had professional respect from his peers. I always think it's a nice idea to send a thank you note to people who have had a positive influence on your life while they're still around to read it.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
charlene

I have sent many many thank you notes, birthday and XMAS cards.....

I think a good time for a thankyou for many of us will be at Massey in November on his birthday....

think on it folks....
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:59 PM   #4
charlene

RJ - I know we spoke about this a few months ago when you were here and I'm sure we can come up with something that we all can participate in and perhaps give to Gord the night of his birthday....a donation in his name would be nice.
I know I have some of my hand crafted glass pieces I'd gladly donate for a raffle of some sort.
A donation box/jam session fee sounds like a good idea. We don't have to raise scads of money - I'm sure any amount would be appreciated.
We have a few months to get some more input and you know I'll help out however I can.
We'll get something planned....

Char
Old 04-29-2006, 11:14 PM   #5
brink-

Hey Char, I'll teach CPR in Toronto to raise money. LOL
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:30 AM   #6
Janice

What do you do for someone who probably has everything he needs or wants? I really like the idea of a donation in his name from "The Net People" and I'm sure that would be more appreciated than any "physical item" we could get him since these hospitals are so near and dear to his heart.

I have no musical or craft talent to offer, but I too have a knack for organizing, planning, and to some degree, marketing and design, so would gladly help in any way I could (I actually already have some fragmented thoughts rolling around in my head ).

If nothing else I'd happily drop some bucks in a donation box at a jam session and/or buy a raffle ticket or two for one of Char's glass pieces - I love her work!
Old 04-30-2006, 08:10 AM   #7
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

The American Heart Association has a place where you can donate for aortic aneurysms. Go down to Fund Raising on the left side of their web site: http://www.americanheart.org/present...dentifier=4455
Old 04-30-2006, 08:37 AM   #8
charlene

I think Gord would be pleased to have the donation go to the Hamilton/Orillia hospitals or even an environmental issue.

or to buy the Leafs a Stanley Cup......now THAT would make him VERY happy !!
lol
Old 04-30-2006, 12:46 PM   #9
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Quote:
Originally posted by brink-:
Hey Char, I'll teach CPR in Toronto to raise money. LOL
Anyone in particular you want to use for practice?
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:09 AM   #10
Janice

Quote:
Originally posted by lighthead2toe:
Fortunately we have a little time to play with but I guess it would be safe to maybe secure a few volunteers who would be willing to work together behind the scene. Hope I'm not being too pushy. RJ.
[raises hand to volunteer] Ron, I'd love to join the task force for "Project Lightfoot Appreciation"
Old 05-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #11
Janice

LOL, that was just a temporary title, Ron. I wanted to refer to it as something in my post and that was the first thing that came to mind at 1 am
Old 05-02-2006, 03:22 PM   #12
charlene

RJ - I got the vibe!
lol
Old 05-07-2006, 04:51 AM   #13
Janice

I'm fine with it RJ, as long as you think it works. I didn't realize that's what East Of Midnight was about. I agree with Gord, though, that a lot of important decisions are made between Midnight and 3AM - that's when I do most of my thinking and decision making. It's a very still time with minimal distractions.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:48 AM   #14
myk

Ok-RJ;
Let me try to recap-recording a session of Mr Lightfoot's fans; to raise a few $ for a charity/hospital in his name:RJ being too pushy-ROFLOL. I think I was right on track up to the last part. Now that is Funny. Just let me know when and where and I'll be there-GW-.
Besides volunteering to record the session(have gear will travel) and making copies, if there is an auction/sale of items,I could produce a few guitar/mandolin stands to raise a few $ for the cause. Contact me at mykhew@yahoo.com for info on 'The Convention',if there is time I could even learn a Gord song or 2. Thanks for reintroducing me to Mr. Lightfoots material.As always I will provide bass for any material you are doing.I know we had crossed paths before our first meeting/gig in a planetary sense do to my working with another Gord fan, who had introduced me to Joe Wood,who you knew during your years in the big smoke-now having blithered on has anyone out there come across a fine singer/songwriter by the name of Fred Werthman,not sure if he still performs,but could pass as Gords son -looks & sound
its all coming together-or is it time for my 3 am meds-take care all
myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:27 PM   #15
Sheryl

Ohhhh, Ron, believe me, there's nothing better I'd like than going in on it, but, I can't make anything other than a West coast event. I assume you're planning to do a presentation of some sort for Massey?

And, oh my God, I just re-read my teasing post to Brink about CPR -- I hope it wasn't taken that *I* wanted to be the model -- sorry, Brink, I like you and all, but, not that way, LOL!!! I meant Gord!
Old 05-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #16
brink-

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheryl:

And, oh my God, I just re-read my teasing post to Brink about CPR -- I hope it wasn't taken that *I* wanted to be the model -- sorry, Brink, I like you and all, but, not that way, LOL!!! I meant Gord!
Thank God!! Was thinking I might get more "students" if I used Bill Hall as the model. lol
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:02 PM   #17
Sheryl

O.K.,Ron. And, no, I can't go to Vancouver -- too far. Vegas is the farthest, probably. So, we'll keep in touch regarding this "project," o.k.?

Sheryl
Old 05-16-2006, 04:04 PM   #18
charlene

lord knows I'm awake most mornings mornings at that time...wondering WHY i'm awake at that time....
lol
I might as well do something constructive.....
Old 05-17-2006, 12:56 AM   #19
Janice

Sounds like a plan, RJ.

Thanks for sharing the EOM discussion - kinda cool that Gord and I are on the same wave length as far as liking the wee hours for thinking and planning