banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #1
Patti

Default Last night at the DECC 9/23/07

(written Mon. morning)
The concert last night in Duluth was wonderful. He opened the show with Cotton Jenny. All the songs sounded so good. It was nice to see Gordon again and to hear him sing. I like how he talks too. I liked how he ended Ribbon of Darkness. It made me giggle. I loved hearing all the music. Because I can't afford a big collection, some of the music I hadn't heard before. Triangle was one I had only read about. It sounded so filled with wonderment. Hang dog Hotel sounded like a good time. I was glad to hear him singing Rainy Day People, my favorite. I've got coffee percolating right now. I wish I would have been brave enough to sit up close. I wasn't even sure if I should go, but I finally bought a ticket the day before. I figured if I didn't go, I'd regret it and kick myself from here to eternity. The concert was either sold out or prid-near. I got one of the last tickets on the main floor and shared my binoculars with the lady next to me. I'm glad I was there and I had about the best time ever. The entire crowd was filled with energy. Gordon left us with a couple of toe-tappers, Blackberry Wine and Old Dan's Records, which I love.

Last edited by Patti; 09-24-2007 at 07:02 PM. Reason: wrote the date wrong
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
rick.p

Default Re: Last night at the DECC 9/23/07

I got lucky and scored two front row tickets off of ebay. We were towards the right end of the row in the pit, but there were 5 empty seats to the right of us.....and nobody showed, if you can believe that!! Soon as the lights went down, we scooted over....just a few seats short of center stage! What a thrill to see this legend so close up!

I thought he started out a little weak, but I think he generally does that until his voice warms up. I'm amazed at the guy.....68 years old, not too long off of a life threatening medical condition, and he can still ring the bells! I was spellbound by "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" and "Sit Down Young Stranger" in particular. He did a great job with his most popular hits as well as with the lesser known songs.

I've been a Lightfoot fan since the '70's, and always plan to be one. Rick
rick.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
brink-

Welcome Rick, what took you so long?

My parents lived in Cloquet and that is where my brother was born, delivered by Drs. Puumala (husband and wife doctors). Several years ago I was teaching a class and there was a nurse in there that answered the "extra credit" question correctly (name 3 Lightfoot songs) and she was Drs. Puumala's daughter. Very small world.
Glad you had a good time, and glad you joined up with us.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
rick.p

Hey, Brink.......guess I should check this site out a little more often. Thanks for your reply. I've lived in Cloquet now for five years.....came in from Fargo. My parents lived by Big Lake back in the early '60's and I swore I'd make it back to Gitchigummi country some day.

My claim to fame is a bunch of college buddies and I got to "drink our glasses empty" with Gordon after a show in Kenora, Ontario at a Holiday Inn in 1973. We had no idea at the time what an honor it was to spend some time with this legend, and we were all pretty well in the bag (as it were!).

Take care! Rick
rick.p is offline   Reply With Quote