banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2004, 12:21 PM   #1
Devlin1962

I've been looking for a video of this for years. I have the audio and know someone out in cyberspace has got to have a copy of the video. I have a ton of great stuff to trade (noncopywrited/nothing for sale!) at:
http://home.carolina.rr.com/mikesraremusic/music.htm

If you have this or any other good Gordon videos please email me at devlin1962@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Mike
Old 11-27-2004, 06:42 PM   #2
Devlin1962

Thanks for the several replies I've gotten. I will respond to you all ASAP. So far no response from anyone with the video so please anyone who has this have a look at my website as I have literally thousands of concerts to trade from many artists.

One of my primary motivations for seeking this video is the fact that my 12 year old autistic son Justin http://home.carolina.rr.com/mikesraremusic/justin.htm
loves Gordon's music, loves the Reno DVD and the '79 Soundstage video, and I know he would go nuts to see this concert on the television. He no longer speaks, but is very enthusiastic about music.

{As a footnote:
I am NOT a bootlegger, don't sell cds, and will not be a party to depriving artists of income. Several years ago when I posted something here I was approached by a member of the forum who was selling GL boots and I see that person is still an active member here. I doubt Mr. Lightfoot would care that fans trade unreleased concerts, as these type fans, like myself are the types that have bought all the official releases (in my case on LP, 45s, cds and dvd} and simply can't get enough. But I would imagine he feel diferently about people cashing in on bootlegs}
Old 11-28-2004, 12:01 AM   #3
joveski

a agree with your lats comment all the way. we're only looking forward to the music. and i wait for your reply
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 12:14 AM   #4
jj

http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000660.html

good luck, that search wore me out long ago...
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 10:18 AM   #5
Vic

I hear ya in your search for this one. Unfortunately no one had VCR's back in 73 so unless a public television station or cable channel reaires this it will continue to go unseen by the masses. Perhaps we should write to our local public television outlets requesting some Lightfoot during their membership drives, specifically Soundstage 73 "Made In Chicgo."

Like with anything, it doesn't hurt to ask!!!
Old 11-28-2004, 10:03 PM   #6
miketouhy

i don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon. a year ago or so when SS returned to the air i asked them about showing the old SS episoedes. and they said that those shows were broadcasted under terms that have long since expired and in order to do this they'd have to negociate new terms and so forth. this can be a long and costly proccess and don't plan to do so. but who knows that could change.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:09 PM   #7
Devlin1962

Well the audio cd I have sounds great, and I'm sure it came from the video. You can rest assured there are people on this list that have the video, and they would have gotten it from someone at the original station. It's a shame that people would prefer to hoard something like this rather than share with all the great people on the forum. I certainly don't expect someone to come forward and offer it up to me, a stranger (although that would be great!), but would think someone would want to treat the list to something great like that. In 30 years of music collecting and trading, I have seen that hoarders as a rule, rather than protecting the legacy of a musician, will sell these type goods when the price is right.

quote:Originally posted by Vic:
I hear ya in your search for this one. Unfortunately no one had VCR's back in 73 so unless a public television station or cable channel reaires this it will continue to go unseen by the masses. Perhaps we should write to our local public television outlets requesting some Lightfoot during their membership drives, specifically Soundstage 73 "Made In Chicgo."

Like with anything, it doesn't hurt to ask!!!

Old 11-29-2004, 06:51 PM   #8
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Devlin1962:
Well the audio cd I have sounds great, and I'm sure it came from the video. You can rest assured there are people on this list that have the video, and they would have gotten it from someone at the original station. It's a shame that people would prefer to hoard something like this rather than share with all the great people on the forum. I certainly don't expect someone to come forward and offer it up to me, a stranger (although that would be great!), but would think someone would want to treat the list to something great like that. In 30 years of music collecting and trading, I have seen that hoarders as a rule, rather than protecting the legacy of a musician, will sell these type goods when the price is right.

Well, here's the problem. When you start sharing something like that, it only a matter of time before it gets into the wrong hands and ends up on E-bay. Then, say 5 years down the road, EMP decides to put out a legitimate DVD. Less people are going to buy it, because they can get by with the copy.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 07:00 PM   #9
violet Blue Horse

1)Not every Lightfoot fan in existence hangs here.
2)The ability to duplicate video in 1973 was in the hands of those few who worked in television stations, those were professional machines using vastly different formats then they do today, and video was in it's infancy to boot, so I'm guessing VERY FEW copies exist in the world, if they exist at all.
3)Then there's the limited shelf life of video tapes.
4)Sheer time takes it's toll too; that was 31 years ago, things get misplaced, lost, destroyed, stolen etc.

In short, it's very possible no one here has a copy. Why assume the worst about a group of people you apparently don't even know?

I'd suggest talking to the person you got the CD from. If it so obviously came from a video, then it would seem they would have a better idea where one might find a video.

quote:Originally posted by Devlin1962:

Old 11-30-2004, 08:16 PM   #10
Devlin1962

With all due respect, I disagree. You and I both know that if each of us were to have a copy of this and then it were to be officially released, we would be first in line the day it was available for legitimate sale.

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:
Well, here's the problem. When you start sharing something like that, it only a matter of time before it gets into the wrong hands and ends up on E-bay. Then, say 5 years down the road, EMP decides to put out a legitimate DVD. Less people are going to buy it, because they can get by with the copy.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Old 11-30-2004, 08:41 PM   #11
Devlin1962

1) No kidding.
2) Forgive me if I'm incorrect, but this statement says to me you do little, or no trading yourself and thus have not seen the brilliant videos of many different bands that exist from eras far earlier than 1973, and which are not available commercially.
3) Shelf life depends on treatment and storage methods
4) The audio came from the video source, no doubt. Obviously the first person I asked about the video was the one I got the cd from.

I have followed this group for several years, prior to your registration as a member. Just because I haven't registered, doesn't mean that I don't know the group, and I assure you I don't "assume the worst" about this group.

Anyhow, it certainly wasn't my intention to start some sort of ruckus here. I'm sure many of you would love to see this show as would my son and I. Realistically, the appeal of an official release of this to the general public would be minimal, and thus it is doubtful it will happen. Life goes on..

quote:Originally posted by violet Blue Horse:
1)Not every Lightfoot fan in existence hangs here.
2)The ability to duplicate video in 1973 was in the hands of those few who worked in television stations, those were professional machines using vastly different formats then they do today, and video was in it's infancy to boot, so I'm guessing VERY FEW copies exist in the world, if they exist at all.
3)Then there's the limited shelf life of video tapes.
4)Sheer time takes it's toll too; that was 31 years ago, things get misplaced, lost, destroyed, stolen etc.

In short, it's very possible no one here has a copy. Why assume the worst about a group of people you apparently don't even know?

I'd suggest talking to the person you got the CD from. If it so obviously came from a video, then it would seem they would have a better idea where one might find a video.

Old 11-30-2004, 09:27 PM   #12
violet Blue Horse

1) Glad we agree on something
2) No, I don't trade, nor buy nor sell bootleg. I have no desire to own everything anyone has every done and damn the cost time and energy. In short, I'm not a collector. I have no desire to search for a 31 year old video.
3) I agree. But serious collectors with the ability to properly archive video are few and far between.
4) Glad to hear you thought of that.

My problem here is that I objected to your trying to shame people into doing something for you when it's very possible no one where is "guilty" of not "sharing" with you. And since you're unregistered, there is no way to know that you've been monitoring this board for years.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 12-26-2004, 05:37 PM   #13
Devlin1962

Thank you, and if I ever do find it I'll drop back in and let people know. Still looking!

quote:Originally posted by violet Blue Horse:
1) Glad we agree on something
2) No, I don't trade, nor buy nor sell bootleg. I have no desire to own everything anyone has every done and damn the cost time and energy. In short, I'm not a collector. I have no desire to search for a 31 year old video.
3) I agree. But serious collectors with the ability to properly archive video are few and far between.
4) Glad to hear you thought of that.

My problem here is that I objected to your trying to shame people into doing something for you when it's very possible no one where is "guilty" of not "sharing" with you. And since you're unregistered, there is no way to know that you've been monitoring this board for years.

I hope you find what you're looking for.