banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2006, 03:43 PM   #76
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by julleken:
Canada is far to go for me,but maybe....
.... you were saying??...
HI Julleken
I am tempted mightily to say that you posted a day early:Oh go on I'll say it anyway
You know "It's Tuesday so this must be Belgium"!
I do not personally recall hearing of a belgian fan here before:
we certainly have french German,Italian and British posters here and of course Florian whose wonderful site this is is himself from
Vienna Austria. You are quite right it is a very long time since Gord played in Europe,1981 I believe, but you are wrong Canada is not too far just rather expensive but far more accessible to you than to the handful of avid fans from Australia,
But if you are a keen fan the effort and expense of getting over to Toronto is well worth it and as it appears most unlikely that Gord will ever venture over the Atlantic again it will most likely be the only way you are going to be able to see this genius in action.
It is not too late to plan a visit for the upcoming 4 Massey Hall concerts on November 16 to 19, and I believe there may well be some good spare tickets for sale if you ask here There is also the thought that opportunities to see Lightfoot concerts in the future might get more limited although we all most fervently hope that there will be another Massey season in, probably, May 2008.
You are assured of a warm welcome Give it some very deep thought and if you have any questions do ask
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:19 AM   #77
steve gittins

Absolutely astounding work done by Stonewall Studios!!!! All of my favorites with a video background!! How can it get any better than this? I hope Gordon can see these videos.....
steve gittins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:19 AM   #78
BendRick

Absolutely astounding work done by Stonewall Studios!!!! All of my favorites with a video background!! How can it get any better than this? I hope Gordon can see these videos.....
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:27 AM   #79
Alan

To Walls, Brink, Silver Heels, Auburn Annie, Musky-Man, Reno-Rick and all who have posted at this "video" thread, I am making a list and reading it twice as a guide for the new Gordon Lightfoot video productions that will be undertaken post the Massey Hall Concert Series.

Your enthusiasm and support for the image-story perspectives I find in his work are the energy that I will need to soldier-on with this project. I realize the library is daunting and will liklely not achieve a 100% video-catalogue. One condition I want to apply...the requests must be for a song he wrote...not a song he covered..for example Musky-Man " The First Time Ever"...( I saw your face) is not a Lightfoot original.

There has been an unexpected, most welcome outcome from my Youtube video production. One of the founders of the New Renaissance School of Art in Italy has asked that I come to Florence to teach a "short" course on still image video production. There are only a handfull of us on Youtube who produce almost exclusively with still images and photo-editing techniques.

I responded in the affirmative. We are arranging to schedule a 4-6 week class in late summer-fall 2007. I plan to use several clips from the Gordon Lightfoot video series as examples of various production techniques and interpretation alternatives.

Without the encouragement of this Forum and the support of individuals in it, I cannot be certain that this invitation would have been earned. Thank you one and all. Will be visiting with some of you for the first time,here in the Studio, a week from today, which is something our household looks foreward to with ever increasing anticipation. God Speed.

Sincerely,

Teejaysang
a.k.a Tom Salter
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:23 PM   #80
SilverHeels

Teeyaysang aka Tom,
Congratulations and well done! You will love Florence - one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Keep us posted and am looking forward to the next GL videos.
Way to go, Gahoendoe!
Old 11-11-2006, 12:43 PM   #81
brink-

Congratulations Tom!! How wonderful to be recognized and rightfully so.
Now if you think you might need a "roadie" on your teaching trip, just let me know. I have never been over the pond.
See you next week!
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #82
Auburn Annie

Hooray for you! Enjoy Florence - hope you can take some time from your teaching to travel around a bit, either before or after. What a great treat.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #83
Auburn Annie

Hooray for you! Enjoy Florence - hope you can take some time from your teaching to travel around a bit, either before or after. What a great treat.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:26 PM   #84
SilverHeels

Deb, good thinking but I speaka the lingo. I would be much more use to Tom ... you looking for a roadie, Tom???????
Old 11-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #85
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Gahoendoe:

There has been an unexpected, most welcome outcome from my Youtube video production. One of the founders of the New Renaissance School of Art in Italy has asked that I come to Florence to teach a "short" course on still image video production. Teejaysang
a.k.a Tom Salter
very well deserved Tom
Make sore that you contact "our man" in Florence:-
Max
I had meant to reply to this topic long ago as I desperately wanted you to cover my favourite "Restless", which seemed to me
to have just about everything required for a most interesting "screeenplay",but somebody beat me to it,I love what you did for
it,
I had somewhere already posted some pictures but no amount of searching here or on google for keywords that I used will now
bring the topic up so possibly it was one of those that got deleted.However I remembered the images I had used and refound
them as follows:-
Firstly to illustrate my favourite Gord piece of obscure imagery
"an old schooner flying down a sky that's overcast"

One moment overcast twilight, then suddenly a ray of light breaks through
and illuminates the scene. Then just as quickly it's gone. Luck definitely
plays a part but you can't get lucky if you're not out there.
Next to illustrate the "Wicked blast"

which I found on
http://www.liberatorcrew.com/SB1919/TG.htm
with this very relevant caption:-
"A great shot of the wicked muzzle blast the short barreled Brownings are noted for.
Thanks to Dutch for this shot"

next "a cold diesel rolling down a road that's built to last "

or
"Of an old engine flying down a road that's iron cast
Funnily enough I ignored the engine line in my minds eye and immnediatekly thought of a diesel road roller:-

And I completely missed the obvious iron road being a railroad and in any case your delightful use of pictures of old
number 6060 are more obviously an "engine"
I will PM you shortly regarding next week when I hope to meet you in Toronto
also amazing is the fact that I decided to search for"scrimshaw" and found
http://www.williamgilkerson.com/scrimshaw.html
where I read
"Scrimshaw is the indigenous art form of the American Whaleman. In his idle hours of cruising for whale, he devoted himself
to fashioning articles and jewelry of whale ivory."
and found a picture that seemed to fit Gord's schooner theme

Unfortunatey the subject is the oldest US warship (that I have been on in Boston) the USS Constitution
Hardly anything to do with
"your dad And the scrimshaw that he had Of an old schooner "

I was therefore surprised to find it featured in your video

screenshot of Tom's flv file playing in Windows Media Player

Yours admiringly
John Fowles
nothing that I have written above is meant to be in any way a criticism of your beautiful creation
Old 11-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #86
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Gahoendoe:

There has been an unexpected, most welcome outcome from my Youtube video production. One of the founders of the New Renaissance School of Art in Italy has asked that I come to Florence to teach a "short" course on still image video production. Teejaysang
a.k.a Tom Salter
very well deserved Tom
Make sore that you contact "our man" in Florence:-
Max
I had meant to reply to this topic long ago as I desperately wanted you to cover my favourite "Restless", which seemed to me
to have just about everything required for a most interesting "screeenplay",but somebody beat me to it,I love what you did for
it,
I had somewhere already posted some pictures but no amount of searching here or on google for keywords that I used will now
bring the topic up so possibly it was one of those that got deleted.However I remembered the images I had used and refound
them as follows:-
Firstly to illustrate my favourite Gord piece of obscure imagery
"an old schooner flying down a sky that's overcast"

One moment overcast twilight, then suddenly a ray of light breaks through
and illuminates the scene. Then just as quickly it's gone. Luck definitely
plays a part but you can't get lucky if you're not out there.
Next to illustrate the "Wicked blast"

which I found on
http://www.liberatorcrew.com/SB1919/TG.htm
with this very relevant caption:-
"A great shot of the wicked muzzle blast the short barreled Brownings are noted for.
Thanks to Dutch for this shot"

next "a cold diesel rolling down a road that's built to last "

or
"Of an old engine flying down a road that's iron cast
Funnily enough I ignored the engine line in my minds eye and immnediatekly thought of a diesel road roller:-

And I completely missed the obvious iron road being a railroad and in any case your delightful use of pictures of old
number 6060 are more obviously an "engine"
I will PM you shortly regarding next week when I hope to meet you in Toronto
also amazing is the fact that I decided to search for"scrimshaw" and found
http://www.williamgilkerson.com/scrimshaw.html
where I read
"Scrimshaw is the indigenous art form of the American Whaleman. In his idle hours of cruising for whale, he devoted himself
to fashioning articles and jewelry of whale ivory."
and found a picture that seemed to fit Gord's schooner theme

Unfortunatey the subject is the oldest US warship (that I have been on in Boston) the USS Constitution
Hardly anything to do with
"your dad And the scrimshaw that he had Of an old schooner "

I was therefore surprised to find it featured in your video

screenshot of Tom's flv file playing in Windows Media Player

Yours admiringly
John Fowles
nothing that I have written above is meant to be in any way a criticism of your beautiful creation
Old 11-11-2006, 04:28 PM   #87
Jesse Joe

Congratulations Tom, aka "Gahondoe," you deserve it, you've got a special talent, and seem to be a good 'bloke.'

I hope someone requested "Seven Island Suite?" My all time favorite Lightfoot song, if no one did, Im asking?...

Cheers!
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:28 PM   #88
Jesse Joe

Congratulations Tom, aka "Gahondoe," you deserve it, you've got a special talent, and seem to be a good 'bloke.'

I hope someone requested "Seven Island Suite?" My all time favorite Lightfoot song, if no one did, Im asking?...

Cheers!
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:06 PM   #89
johnfowles

If you would like further confirmation of how advanced and unique Tom's work is you can do an interesting comparison with somebody else's "video" creation based it seems on a rare early recording of John Lennon paying a tribute to Buddy Holly by singing Rave On at
In fact it is not a video at all but a very simplified equivalent to our man's brilliant creations, being a rather short audio track with
perfectly still still pictures of John added to make a very pedestrian video.
there was a somewhat similar video available a while ago for which I obtained the link
from a Holly group message; and downloaded the flv file (of only 1.16MB).I converted it to the mpeg-1 format producing a much larger file (12.3MB) which I have just completed uploading to
I uploaded it as an mpeg file to check that it gets converted and stored in flash video flv format which appears to be, as confirmed by my set of gehendoe's originals as downloaded as flvs and the much larger set after conversion to mpeg-1, only a quarter to a third of the original mpg file with no obvious loss of detail or clarity.
I will download the file I just uploaded, check it is then in flv format, convert it to mpeg-1 and report back in due course
John
Old 11-13-2006, 09:06 PM   #90
johnfowles

If you would like further confirmation of how advanced and unique Tom's work is you can do an interesting comparison with somebody else's "video" creation based it seems on a rare early recording of John Lennon paying a tribute to Buddy Holly by singing Rave On at
In fact it is not a video at all but a very simplified equivalent to our man's brilliant creations, being a rather short audio track with
perfectly still still pictures of John added to make a very pedestrian video.
there was a somewhat similar video available a while ago for which I obtained the link
from a Holly group message; and downloaded the flv file (of only 1.16MB).I converted it to the mpeg-1 format producing a much larger file (12.3MB) which I have just completed uploading to
I uploaded it as an mpeg file to check that it gets converted and stored in flash video flv format which appears to be, as confirmed by my set of gehendoe's originals as downloaded as flvs and the much larger set after conversion to mpeg-1, only a quarter to a third of the original mpg file with no obvious loss of detail or clarity.
I will download the file I just uploaded, check it is then in flv format, convert it to mpeg-1 and report back in due course
John
Old 11-14-2006, 10:27 AM   #91
Alan

The Video Production Requests Starting Next Week

I am making a list and checking it twice for the next round of GL video production: Here are the requests I have gleaned from this thread

1. A Passing Ship
2. Lazy Morning
3. That Same Old Obsession
4. I'm Not Supposed to Care
5. Ode to Big Blue
6 Tattoo
7. If Children Had Wings
8. Ribbon of Darkness
9. Bitter Green
10.Seven Island Suite
11.Cotton Jenny :D Done
12.Now and Then :D Done
13.Second Cup of Coffee :D Done
14.If You Could Read My Mind
15.A Minor Ballad
16.Never Too Close
17.Spin Spin
18.Sit Down Young Stranger
19.Let it Ride
20.A Painter Passing Through :D Done

( Note to John Fowles...I have elected not to produce Face of a Thousand People as the sound track quality is not up to studio standards in my opinion. Let's discuss)

I have uploaded all videos to StonewallStudios Channels at DailyMotion
and most of the collection to Yahoo Video,
http://video.yahoo.com/video/group?g...2a2855bf379f50
-------------------------------------------------
Highest "video" Resolution is at Photodex.com Album Website

You might be interested in viewing my work in Studio quality resolution...the resolution I have before "losing it" to Mpeg and other format conversions. All my work is rendered (px)through ProShow Gold software which is a product of Photodex.com.

I have a StonewallStudio Website at Photodex.com

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/view...alb=0&bm=72416

and at the moment I have a Youtube Hits Album

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/view...09548&bm=72416

which includes the Top 12 Youtube viewed videos of the 100 I have uploaded, ( These videos have a minimum of 5000 views each) You might be interested to know that Gordon Lightfoot has 3/12 top viewed StonewallStudios Youtube videos:

1.Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald ( with family member comments),
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/view...518&alb=123569

2. Canadian Railroal Trilogy and
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/view...537&alb=123569

3. Song For a Winter's Night!
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/view...548&alb=123569

Exclusively - Lightfoot - high resolution "show-album"

I have created a Gordon Lightfoot Album at Photodex.com :
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/view...tml?alb=123702
and will upload all completed videos (23) to this "Exclusively Lightfoot " Album and all subsequent GL videos I produce. This will create the highest quality playback of any "video" source for the Gordon Lightfoot Video Library "we" are creating.

This will not be widely published by me as it is intended as a Forum Members on-line "Studio" . In fact, if we decide to we could make it a password protected site ...not my first choice at the moment...something we can discuss once you have had a chance to experience the quality of Photodex.com playback.

This is lots enough for now, I look foreward to your reviews, comments and suggestions.

Teejaysang
Tom Salter
Gahoendoe

[ November 29, 2006, 08:09: Message edited by: Gahoendoe ]
Old 11-14-2006, 10:41 AM   #92
brink-

I would like to see Now and Then or Second Cup of Coffee.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:48 AM   #93
phishfearme

TJ - please don't forget to add "if you could read my mind" - thanks, phish
phishfearme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:27 AM   #94
SilverHeels

'A Minor Ballad' and 'Never too Close', please?
Old 11-28-2006, 01:33 PM   #95
Alan

Massey Memories - 2006

I have been "playing" :D with some of Char's images from the Massey Week in Toronto and it looks there are at least 3 still image videos to celebrate the amazing week in November. Here is the Photodex.com link to the first D R A F T video -

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/view...tml?alb=124116

You may have to download a Photodex Presenter ( player) if this is your first visit to the site. It is like anyother video viewer and harmless to any computer. Simply click on the purple icon image when ready. A new window opens...hold your cursor over the image of the train and it will pulse. Right Click for Full Screen if you want and enjoy.

This video celebrates Massey Hall, Gord and Char, Fun, and the art show with " A Painter Passing Through".

If you have more images from the art show and would like them included please send them to: StonewallStudios@gmail.com.
Thank you

[ November 28, 2006, 12:45: Message edited by: Gahoendoe ]
Old 11-28-2006, 01:45 PM   #96
brink-

Was perfect, Tom!
I think it is fabulous that you have taken our group to heart and done these wonderful videos for us. The Massey memories is certainly one to bring us right back to the magic of Massey.
Thanks so much.

[ November 28, 2006, 16:28: Message edited by: brink- ]
Old 11-28-2006, 01:48 PM   #97
Alan

You especially dear Deb are most welcome...
Sincerely, Tom, Teejay, Gahoendoe.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:27 PM   #98
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug

Gahoendoe,

Several members here use Macintosh computers. I know I would like to be able to view these productions but have not found a way to do it yet.

Can you help?
Old 11-28-2006, 04:51 PM   #99
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug

By way of clarification. Macintosh users can view the videos posted at youtube. It's anything posted at photodex.com that are not viewable. That was what I was asking, on behalf of all the mac users, for help with.

Customer help at photodex told me they have no plugins for Mac.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:39 PM   #100
Alan

I did not know that Mac users were unable to access Photodex ...I have posted the Three part Massey Memories 2006 at DailyMotion.
My apologies for the inconvenience.

Here are the high resolution - photodex links for Massey Memories 2006

Now and Then
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/view...358&alb=124116
Second Cup of Coffee
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/view...352&alb=124116
A Painter Passing Through
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/view...270&alb=124116

Here are Mac User Links :D
Now and Then
A Second Cup of Coffee
A Painter Passing Through

Check back from time to time over the next few days...more images are on their way...more video records to follow.

[ November 28, 2006, 19:46: Message edited by: Gahoendoe ]