banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2005, 12:23 PM   #1
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

OK OK not exactly Lightfoot related but
rather than "bury" this on the small talk forum I decided to post this here for two reasons
1,It was this famous trio who realy got Gord's career going by recording two of his songs. Ok I am well aware that they just happenned to be the same pair that the Tysons had already recorded (and I have never understood why both groups chose the exact same two songs-any ideas anybody??) but P,P and M were very much better known world wide at the time
2.It led to an encounter with a PP&M fan who recounted a great early Lightfoot anecdote see below for the details
Some of you might not be aware that Mary has been undergoing treatment for leukemia
and my wife in googling for news discovered that Pand M were scheduled to take part in a folk concert in the (nearby to us) delightful Jersey Shore town of Ocean Grove at the Grand Auditorium and bought tickets early in August

As you can see this featured:-
Christine Lavin,Tom Paxton,(the reunited) Chad (Mitchell) Trio
and Noel Paul Stookey with the redoubtable Peter Y(arrow)
Christine Lanvin who was known to me previously only from her amusing song
"Good Thing He Con't Read My Mind"
30 second sample on amazon at:-
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music
lyrics at:-
http://www.christinelavin.com/00051501goodthing.html
the inspiration for which takes only a little imagination
but she had many other amusing ditties including a superb
"What Was He Thinking"
ranging from
Dan Rather on Iraq to
Prince Harry dressing up as a Nazi
and (U.S solicitor general) John Ashcroft's boob
you get the drift
and a great guitar epic about the annoying sounds made by Windchimes
then Tom Paxton
again not well known by me except for his signature songs
Last Thing On My Mind
and Bottle Of Wine
what is it with these folksingers overusing the word "Mind"???
I was very pleased to catch the reunited Chad Trio comlete nowadays again with Chad himself (I did buy one of their albums "Chad Mitchell Himself" since you ask in Canada in their 60's heyday
Chad clearly said he came from Spokane (WA) pronounced "Spoke-ann" not "Spoke-ain" as I had insisted to a sceptical Susan and her mother
I was anxious to hear their version of Tyson's Four Strong Winds that when I first heard it last year initially convinced me along with the filesharer and at least one other Lightfoot fan was a hitherto unknown cover by the man himself. Gord certainly had it in his repertoire in 1966 (see the Newport Folk Festival setlist photo on page 23 of the Songbook booklet)but it transpired that I had the mistitled Chad Mitchel Trio version
recorded I believe after Chad had left to be replaced by an upstart guy called John Denver
Ed Mullen then said he thought the singer on that version was the Trio's Mike Kublik who is from BC. Sure enough they performed this song with Mike taking the vocal lead but he sounded nothing like the original nor Gord
then it was P.P.'s turn
"Noel Paul" and Peter
they made a point of saying that they had left the third mike for Mary and announced that her bone marrow transplant was a success so that (I think Peter said)
"Mary now had not one leukemic cell in her body"
I also heard a lady outside on their merchandising stand tell an enquirer that
Mary would be joining a scheduled PP and M concert on December 9th at (New York's) Carnegie Hall!
The duo performed several of their hits and in particular Peter teased the audience into an ever louder appeal to reveal the true story behind the lyrics to "Puff the Magic Dragon" before finally refusing to meaningfully comment
they performed 2 solos
"Lemon Tree" by Peter
and Noel's famous "Wedding Song" sometimes in some sources attributed to Gord
afterwards Mike and Joe from the Trio and Tom attended the merchandise tables but long queues quickly formed so I did not get to ask Mike about any Lightfoot influence
Then on a whim yesterday I checked Google groups to find if there was a Newsgroup which might have more Mary news and sure enough I found a recently formed one at:-
http://groups.google.com/group/Peter-Paul-Mary?lnk=li
I joined as I found it had but two existing members and not a single posting I therefore started the very first thread there at:- http://groups.google.com/group/Peter...772fcde637bf3c
I very quickly got a response from a lawman from Burlington Vermont Mike Berak who revealed that he
had been drinking (in Hull On) "with Gordon Lightfoot at about the time he cut his first album. Ian Tyson was a friend long ago."
I then queried this and he responded with more detail I will be posting again after this corfid posting and see if there is any chance he could attend the next month's Northampton MA concert
John Fowles
I have a delightful video file of PPM singing "Early Morning Rain" in 1966

reminds me that Peter paid tribute to Paul for "leading the way on receding hairlines"!!

[ September 12, 2005, 18:38: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
johnfowles

OK OK not exactly Lightfoot related but
rather than "bury" this on the small talk forum I decided to post this here for two reasons
1,It was this famous trio who realy got Gord's career going by recording two of his songs. Ok I am well aware that they just happenned to be the same pair that the Tysons had already recorded (and I have never understood why both groups chose the exact same two songs-any ideas anybody??) but P,P and M were very much better known world wide at the time
2.It led to an encounter with a PP&M fan who recounted a great early Lightfoot anecdote see below for the details
Some of you might not be aware that Mary has been undergoing treatment for leukemia
and my wife in googling for news discovered that Pand M were scheduled to take part in a folk concert in the (nearby to us) delightful Jersey Shore town of Ocean Grove at the Grand Auditorium and bought tickets early in August

As you can see this featured:-
Christine Lavin,Tom Paxton,(the reunited) Chad (Mitchell) Trio
and Noel Paul Stookey with the redoubtable Peter Y(arrow)
Christine Lanvin who was known to me previously only from her amusing song
"Good Thing He Con't Read My Mind"
30 second sample on amazon at:-
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music
lyrics at:-
http://www.christinelavin.com/00051501goodthing.html
the inspiration for which takes only a little imagination
but she had many other amusing ditties including a superb
"What Was He Thinking"
ranging from
Dan Rather on Iraq to
Prince Harry dressing up as a Nazi
and (U.S solicitor general) John Ashcroft's boob
you get the drift
and a great guitar epic about the annoying sounds made by Windchimes
then Tom Paxton
again not well known by me except for his signature songs
Last Thing On My Mind
and Bottle Of Wine
what is it with these folksingers overusing the word "Mind"???
I was very pleased to catch the reunited Chad Trio comlete nowadays again with Chad himself (I did buy one of their albums "Chad Mitchell Himself" since you ask in Canada in their 60's heyday
Chad clearly said he came from Spokane (WA) pronounced "Spoke-ann" not "Spoke-ain" as I had insisted to a sceptical Susan and her mother
I was anxious to hear their version of Tyson's Four Strong Winds that when I first heard it last year initially convinced me along with the filesharer and at least one other Lightfoot fan was a hitherto unknown cover by the man himself. Gord certainly had it in his repertoire in 1966 (see the Newport Folk Festival setlist photo on page 23 of the Songbook booklet)but it transpired that I had the mistitled Chad Mitchel Trio version
recorded I believe after Chad had left to be replaced by an upstart guy called John Denver
Ed Mullen then said he thought the singer on that version was the Trio's Mike Kublik who is from BC. Sure enough they performed this song with Mike taking the vocal lead but he sounded nothing like the original nor Gord
then it was P.P.'s turn
"Noel Paul" and Peter
they made a point of saying that they had left the third mike for Mary and announced that her bone marrow transplant was a success so that (I think Peter said)
"Mary now had not one leukemic cell in her body"
I also heard a lady outside on their merchandising stand tell an enquirer that
Mary would be joining a scheduled PP and M concert on December 9th at (New York's) Carnegie Hall!
The duo performed several of their hits and in particular Peter teased the audience into an ever louder appeal to reveal the true story behind the lyrics to "Puff the Magic Dragon" before finally refusing to meaningfully comment
they performed 2 solos
"Lemon Tree" by Peter
and Noel's famous "Wedding Song" sometimes in some sources attributed to Gord
afterwards Mike and Joe from the Trio and Tom attended the merchandise tables but long queues quickly formed so I did not get to ask Mike about any Lightfoot influence
Then on a whim yesterday I checked Google groups to find if there was a Newsgroup which might have more Mary news and sure enough I found a recently formed one at:-
http://groups.google.com/group/Peter-Paul-Mary?lnk=li
I joined as I found it had but two existing members and not a single posting I therefore started the very first thread there at:- http://groups.google.com/group/Peter...772fcde637bf3c
I very quickly got a response from a lawman from Burlington Vermont Mike Berak who revealed that he
had been drinking (in Hull On) "with Gordon Lightfoot at about the time he cut his first album. Ian Tyson was a friend long ago."
I then queried this and he responded with more detail I will be posting again after this corfid posting and see if there is any chance he could attend the next month's Northampton MA concert
John Fowles
I have a delightful video file of PPM singing "Early Morning Rain" in 1966

reminds me that Peter paid tribute to Paul for "leading the way on receding hairlines"!!

[ September 12, 2005, 18:38: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 09-09-2005, 02:58 PM   #3
Sydney Steve

Corfid fans will be ecstatic to know that the above transcript is subtitled "John Fowles discusses Peter, Paul & Mary In Brief".
The longer version of his posting may take a much longer time to absorb and is waited with eager anticipation (well actually a dose of measles is slightly more preferable).. (lol). I commend the thread nonetheless as interesting reading (the last hyperlink in John's post) - which I have no idea how to copy into here..

I am in shock with John's revelation that there are no existing P,P & M fansites. They were huge in Australia... 8 Top 40 hits and 3 in Top 10. "If I Had A Hammer (The Hammer Song)October '62 #10, "Tell It on the Mountain", May '64 #2, and "I Dig Rock And Roll Music", #8 in September 1967.
(By way of comparison Gord. only had 3 that reached the Top 40 in Aus !)

I notice PP&M charted with a song called "For Lovin Me" which reached # 18 in March 1965..-not sure if that is Gord's one or not though but the timing looks right ???

[ September 09, 2005, 15:11: Message edited by: Sydney Steve ]
Old 09-09-2005, 03:32 PM   #4
mnmouse

You got it, Steve..."For Lovin' Me" was Gord's song. In fact, I heard the P, P & M version before I heard Gord do it, or even knew it was his.

I remember listening to P,P & M, Chad Mitchell, Kingston Trio, etc. as a very young girl...mixed in with rock, jazz and classical too...(thanks, Dad!)

Mouse
Old 09-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #5
Borderstone

Musically speaking,sometimes I think I was born in the wrong era! Why couldn't I have been a teen from say '69 to 1976?

Much better music than the 80's and I'll say that no matter who disagrees!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:31 PM   #6
ricky Jay

me too Borderstone,

I would have been so delighted to have gone to a GL concert back in, say 1969...ahhh!!!

ricky Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:31 PM   #7
Shazia

me too Borderstone,

I would have been so delighted to have gone to a GL concert back in, say 1969...ahhh!!!

Shazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:51 AM   #8
talbot10

[ "John Fowles discusses Peter, Paul & Mary In Brief".

John in Briefs!! If he is going to talk about them while in his briefs I want to be there!

Bill
Old 09-11-2005, 10:15 PM   #9
Tyler

Quote:
Originally posted by talbot10:

John in Briefs!! If he is going to talk about them while in his briefs I want to be there!

Bill
LOL and you never know Bill they might be your favorite color - clear!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:15 PM   #10
brink

Quote:
Originally posted by talbot10:

Bill
LOL and you never know Bill they might be your favorite color - clear!
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 05:03 AM   #11
Sydney Steve

Readers especialy Deb & Bill...You are I am sure aware of a quite famous Johnny Nash song - the verse goes something like:

"I can see clearly now John's briefs are on ,
I can see all obstacles in my way... "

Crikey...the mental picture painted by these corrupted lyrics does not get me thinking of a bright, bright sun shiny day...(lol)

[ September 12, 2005, 05:09: Message edited by: Sydney Steve ]
Old 09-12-2005, 12:32 PM   #12
mnmouse

Steve,

Perhaps that would be a bright, bright "moon"shiny night?
Old 09-12-2005, 02:55 PM   #13
<Stan Andy Liver>

Shouldn't that be,

"I can see Diedre, now Lorraine has gone...."
Old 09-12-2005, 02:55 PM   #14
<Stan Andy Liver>

Shouldn't that be,

"I can see Diedre, now Lorraine has gone...."
Old 09-13-2005, 07:12 PM   #15
ELizabeth

This note is for John Fowles...Do you own any of the Chad Mitchell solo albums? I have always wanted to replace the album (cd?) in which he nails Leonard Cohen's 'Suzanne'. I can still hear the drums when he sings 'and the sun comes down like honey on our Lady of the Harbor'. Thank you for any information you may have Old Boy. Oh boy am I going to get it for that.
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #16
johnfowles

Default Re: Peter Paul and Mary (and other folk artists

I just refound this and thought it worth resurrecting

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Old 08-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #17
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
I just refound this and thought it worth resurrecting
Ditto today. I wanted to let a P P and M fanatic know about a superb spoof video of Blowing in The Wind by the trio of
Jimmy Fallon Kevin Bacon & Kyra Sedgwick
lower down this thread is a genuine P P and M performance of Early Morning Rain hence this qualifies as a General Lightfoot discussion thread

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm

Old 08-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #18
buzzard

I had never seen the Peter Paul & Mary parody. It is hilarious . . . the musical work, the mannerisms, but especially the lyrics.

I watched this multiple times and laughed every single one.

Thanks for posting!
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:52 PM   #19
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

Peter Yarrow volunteers at a Hospice here in Ct.. Twenty two years ago when my mother was dying of cancer at the hospice, he came by and sang Puff the Magic Dragon to her. I don't know if he still volunteers anymore due to his age now, but it is something I will never forget.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #20
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
I had never seen the Peter Paul & Mary parody. It is hilarious . . . the musical work, the mannerisms, but especially the lyrics.

I watched this multiple times and laughed every single one.
Me too Brian and thanks for commenting
Just what is your favoUrite U2 album??

I meant no one no harm

Old 08-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #21
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninCt. View Post
Peter Yarrow volunteers at a Hospice here in Ct.. Twenty two years ago when my mother was dying of cancer at the hospice, he came by and sang Puff the Magic Dragon to her. I don't know if he still volunteers anymore due to his age now, but it is something I will never forget.
It looks like he still does John. Your hospice cared for his own mother I see. Mr. Google led me to
http://articles.courant.com/1996-11-...cticut-hospice
and two YouTube videos

I meant no one no harm

Old 08-21-2018, 06:57 AM   #22
JohninCt.

Thanks for the update Sir John.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #23
buzzard

To John Fowles - nice to hear from you. I would be hard pressed to name ANY U2 album. But I love the reference.

To JohninCt - what a wonderful story about your Mom and Peter Yarrow!

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #24
JohninCt.

To JohninCt - what a wonderful story about your Mom and Peter Yarrow!

Brian[/QUOTE]
Thank you Brian. As a side note, I asked him why he chose my mother to sing to when there were about ten other patients in the room, he said she reminded him of his mother. I guess sometimes it is good to look like other people. My mother was a big fan of PPM back in the 50's and 60's and we used to sing and play their songs, so I guess it was karma..
Old 08-23-2018, 05:10 AM   #25
paskatefan

^ What a beautiful story about your mom & Peter Yarrow.

Does anyone know if Peter & Paul still perform together?

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote